iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Aug 19, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #4,546 of 6,983
Thank you for the reply, @jprenaud78 and @DJ Core !
Deeply appreciated. As all of the content of this wonderful community I'm happy I've finally joined.

You being both trying the free Purist ROM, I'm still left with the doubt whether it's worth 50 or 100USD for the Enhanced or Advanced ROM in order to squeeze the sonic best out of my 2020 DX160. I guess I might take the blind jump there myself soon.

Meanwhile, I can't wait to take a thorough test of the new NOS filter in 1.06 + 1.28 add-on, tomorrow. I might be getting back to my standard fuel, which is Slow Decay Fast Roll Off with my taste and gear... Who knows?! =)

As for Mango... Geese!
I mean... i really like the sound. You're right, DJ Core: it seems better at soundstage to my ears too.
BUT... For UI's sake! The UI... Yikes. Sorry.
And... No option to lock the volume wheel or the buttons while the screen's off? Seriously?!
No quick brightness adjustment? What the...! This bwuoy is meant to hit the road, not my desktop! Correct me if I'm wrong here, please.

I'm sticking with Android and my beloved Neutron player, and maybe give Apollo a chance when installing Purist, idk...

Well I'm also sorry to see you part from the DX160, DJ Core. I'll try to follow your life with the shiny new Sony toy if spare time allows me! Cheers!

Aug 19, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #4,547 of 6,983
Wanted to know if it would be okey to use both the 3.5mm and 4.4mm ports simultaneously or not. Anybody did this?
Yes it works. No effect on sq or loudness.

Aug 20, 2020 at 2:57 AM Post #4,548 of 6,983
I paid the rom
Thank you for the reply, @jprenaud78 and @DJ Core !
Deeply appreciated. As all of the content of this wonderful community I'm happy I've finally joined.

You being both trying the free Purist ROM, I'm still left with the doubt whether it's worth 50 or 100USD for the Enhanced or Advanced ROM in order to squeeze the sonic best out of my 2020 DX160. I guess I might take the blind jump there myself soon.

Meanwhile, I can't wait to take a thorough test of the new NOS filter in 1.06 + 1.28 add-on, tomorrow. I might be getting back to my standard fuel, which is Slow Decay Fast Roll Off with my taste and gear... Who knows?! =)

As for Mango... Geese!
I mean... i really like the sound. You're right, DJ Core: it seems better at soundstage to my ears too.
BUT... For UI's sake! The UI... Yikes. Sorry.
And... No option to lock the volume wheel or the buttons while the screen's off? Seriously?!
No quick brightness adjustment? What the...! This bwuoy is meant to hit the road, not my desktop! Correct me if I'm wrong here, please.

I'm sticking with Android and my beloved Neutron player, and maybe give Apollo a chance when installing Purist, idk...

Well I'm also sorry to see you part from the DX160, DJ Core. I'll try to follow your life with the shiny new Sony toy if spare time allows me! Cheers!

Aug 20, 2020 at 5:11 AM Post #4,550 of 6,983
Advanced rom
It’s more imaging and dynamic next step i upgrade inside
Oh, ok... My bad, I didn't get that yours was a paid ROM, sorry.
Which one did you get exactly? "Enhanced" or "Advanced" (and which one of the three Advanced in this case)?
Did you notice any noticeable improvement in sound quality and in which specific area (dynamics, imaging, timbre...)?

Thank you!

Aug 20, 2020 at 6:48 AM Post #4,552 of 6,983
Aug 20, 2020 at 7:12 AM Post #4,553 of 6,983
Exclusively sound-wise. The Free Version of Purist ROM is what I tried.It was wider and more detailed than Stock or Lurker modded on Android, it had no Mango OS mode. Not sure if this has changed.
In Mango OS mode Lurker sounded as detailed as Purist but also more holographic.

I ended up staying with Lurkers on my 2019 DX160.

Just parted with the DX160 however after Listening to and buying the New Sony ZX507.

What is it about the ZX507 that made you switch from the DX160?

Aug 20, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #4,557 of 6,983
What is it about the ZX507 that made you switch from the DX160?

It's hard to explain since I'm not a musical lingual expert but I'll try. Sony has its own unique sound signature that's very engaging and hard to find in other daps. ZX500 Series sounds more holographic with more accurate imaging and smoother treble. It's also a much smaller DAP but has 75 to 80% of the power of DX160. From my listening sessions vs the DX160 paired with the same IEMs, I believe Sony underrated the DAP just like they did with the previous A55.

Most importantly, everything works right out of the box BT and WIFI signal strength is the same as my LG smartphone. LDAC BT streaming also sounds a lot better (Somewhat, sound characteristics mentioned above but not exactly like wired) using the same BT headphones.

Even basic tidal sounds fantastic (I have local Hi-Res Files). It never sounded this good on the DX160. I hear details in songs didn't know were there. These are songs I've listened to for years. Sony has also updated its sound A.I that manages sound enhancements like DSEE HX, DC Phase Linearizer, Vynil processor, and the results are excellent. It's also now system-wide and applicable to 3rd party apps.

by the way, I actually have the ZX505 which is the more affordable ($550 on Joybuy.com vs $860 for 64GB model) Chinese model with 16GB. Comes with no google services but it's a simple flash of international firmware and you're good to go with full google services.

DX160 lets you hear the music.ZX500 series immerses you into the music.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #4,558 of 6,983
It's hard to explain since I'm not a musical lingual expert but I'll try. Sony has its own unique sound signature that's very engaging and hard to find in other daps. ZX500 Series sounds more holographic with more accurate imaging and smoother treble. It's also a much smaller DAP but has 75 to 80% of the power of DX160. From my listening sessions vs the DX160 paired with the same IEMs, I believe Sony underrated the DAP just like they did with the previous A55.

Most importantly, everything works right out of the box BT and WIFI signal strength is the same as my LG smartphone. LDAC BT streaming also sounds a lot better (Somewhat, sound characteristics mentioned above but not exactly like wired) using the same BT headphones.

Even basic tidal sounds fantastic (I have local Hi-Res Files). It never sounded this good on the DX160. I hear details in songs didn't know were there. These are songs I've listened to for years. Sony has also updated its sound A.I that manages sound enhancements like DSEE HX, DC Phase Linearizer, Vynil processor, and the results are excellent. It's also now system-wide and applicable to 3rd party apps.

by the way, I actually have the ZX505 which is the more affordable ($550 on Joybuy.com vs $860 for 64GB model) Chinese model with 16GB. Comes with no google services but it's a simple flash of international firmware and you're good to go with full google services.

DX160 lets you hear the music.ZX500 series immerses you into the music.
Does zx507 have system wide eq?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back