iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Jun 28, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #4,126 of 6,983
Got the iBasso DX160 - 2020 version a couple of weeks back and I’m pretty satisfied with it. Pleasantly surprised with bass response. Pairing it with the Fearless Audio S8F. Dx160 elevates the bass response without compromising the Mids with the S8F.

Regarding the common issues:

1. I haven’t faced any wifi issues so far, probably because I use a decent 5Ghz router and I almost, always stay within few feet to the router.

2. Heating issue:

A.The player heats up pretty quick if and when I multi task(Listening on mango player and downloading music on Apple Music).

B. It gets bloody hot in a couple of minutes itself while using YouTube.

C. It gets considerably warmer upon streaming as well as with Mango player with screen on.

D. All these issues go away when I play music through mango player with screen off.

I have experienced the same heating issues with the Dx220 with Amp1.

@Paul - iBasso Would like to know your thoughts on the heating issues, especially with YouTube usage. Will there by any fix coming to the Dx160 regarding the heating issue?

Conclusion: Gorgeous looking player with excellent sound quality.

Attachments

• IMG_3119.JPG
    IMG_3119.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3120.JPG
    IMG_3120.JPG
    7.4 MB · Views: 0
Jun 28, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #4,127 of 6,983
Does the Lurker add-on save battery life at all? Also, is anyone using a different player besides the stock Mango? I am happy with Mango, but just curious if any sound better? My only complaint with Mango is artists with "The" in front are sorted under the letter "T", which I don't like.

Jun 28, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #4,128 of 6,983
Does the Lurker add-on save battery life at all? Also, is anyone using a different player besides the stock Mango? I am happy with Mango, but just curious if any sound better? My only complaint with Mango is artists with "The" in front are sorted under the letter "T", which I don't like.
People have discussed extensively a few pages back about different players. UAPP and neutron etc however the jury is still out about the best.

Jun 28, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #4,130 of 6,983
why would you need to tag every file just to put it in a dap? I don't need that tag when it's on my pc.
I came to this dap from Opus 1 - there I simply put a cover.jpg file and it recognized it for the folder, or switched some default file to my own and that was used for all other files/folders that don't have artwork file/tag.

so basically wondering how/if it can be done on the dx160 :)

I've found Mango to be virtually uncustomizable, and yes, the purple concert image is pretty annoying. When it comes up on a track, I just tap the info icon in the lower left (five vertical lines) The purple photo goes away, a small disc icon appears in the upper left and there's a nice neutral gray background. I also use this mode when Mango insists on showing the album artist "Various" instead of the track artist. Since for playlists I always file a track under artist name -> album name, this screen shows the path and I can quickly confirm the artist name.

Poweramp on the other hand does a great job with artwork. This app is at the other end of the spectrum for customizability. The wide range of tweaks is almost overwhelming. If not for one fatal flaw Poweramp would be my app of choice. The developer insists that to prevent replay gain problems and glitching on track changes, they can't and won't implement automatic sample rate changing. This means that for a playlist with different sample rates from track to track (all of my playlists), you are forced to upsample or downsample to a single rate, OR manually go through a series of menus to change the output sample rate for every track whose sample rate varies from the previous track's.

So for now I use Poweramp for album listening and Mango (with the above mentioned workarounds) for playlists. A better player must be found. I'm tired of the research - trial - purchase - install - configure - learn - find fatal bug or lack of functionality - uninstall and start over cycle, though, so the Mango-Poweramp combo will be the status quo for the next little while.

Jun 28, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #4,131 of 6,983
I am exploring the USB DAC mode of DX160. I connected it with my Microsoft Surface Pro with the supplied USB C cable, USB A at the surface pro end, turned the USB DAC mode one from the Mango player and it worked flawlessly.

Just out of curiosity I connected it to the Samsung Galaxy S10 with the supplied OTG, but it’s not working. It seems that the DX160 is charging but no sound comes out of the DX160 even the DAC mode is on. I checked in the developer option the USB media in the S10 is activated. The sound comes out from the speaker of the S10 only. Has anyone explored this?

Jun 29, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #4,132 of 6,983
I have the DX160 for about 15 days more or less. Overall, I'm happy with it, despite noise issues with sensitive iems and the 5ghz wifi network and somewhat short battery life.

But for a few days now, when I listening Tidal through the 3.5mm output, the DAP freezes, the music stops and the screen turns black, until it turns off. I have reset the DAP to factory settings and tried it with a lot of headphones but it still happens. I don't understand what the problem may be.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Jun 29, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #4,133 of 6,983
I have the DX160 for about 15 days more or less. Overall, I'm happy with it, despite noise issues with sensitive iems and the 5ghz wifi network and somewhat short battery life.

But for a few days now, when I listening Tidal through the 3.5mm output, the DAP freezes, the music stops and the screen turns black, until it turns off. I have reset the DAP to factory settings and tried it with a lot of headphones but it still happens. I don't understand what the problem may be.

Has anyone else had this issue?
Mine doesn't have that problem.

Jun 29, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #4,134 of 6,983
So the DX160 in DAC mode does not allow an external amp to be attached in LO mode. I wish it was possible though.

Jun 30, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #4,135 of 6,983
Just ordered my DX160.

@superuser1 - I can see at the start of the thread that you weren't a fan of the SoC, but I can see later in the thread that you own the DX160. Can I ask what your thoughts are of the performance?

(Sorry this thread is huge, I've read a big chunk of it already but can't see the point where you actually obtained yours and gave impressions)

I'm an avid Android fan, so the idea of installing Lurker's mod isn't scary at all, I'm excited by it.

Did I see that someone else is trying to sell a custom FW for this player for $99 USD? Yikes.

Regardless. The Bluetooth and Wifi issues sound suspiciously similar to what I experienced with the FiiO X7 back in the day, which uses an RK3188. Did we come to the conclusion that the DX160 uses the RK3368?

And lastly, exactly how bad are the bluetooth issues? If you had some Bluetooth headphones on, and had the DX160 sitting on a desk in front of you, would you experience issues?

Anyway - thanks all!

Jun 30, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #4,136 of 6,983
Just ordered my DX160.

@superuser1 - I can see at the start of the thread that you weren't a fan of the SoC, but I can see later in the thread that you own the DX160. Can I ask what your thoughts are of the performance?

(Sorry this thread is huge, I've read a big chunk of it already but can't see the point where you actually obtained yours and gave impressions)

I'm an avid Android fan, so the idea of installing Lurker's mod isn't scary at all, I'm excited by it.

Did I see that someone else is trying to sell a custom FW for this player for $99 USD? Yikes.

Regardless. The Bluetooth and Wifi issues sound suspiciously similar to what I experienced with the FiiO X7 back in the day, which uses an RK3188. Did we come to the conclusion that the DX160 uses the RK3368?

And lastly, exactly how bad are the bluetooth issues? If you had some Bluetooth headphones on, and had the DX160 sitting on a desk in front of you, would you experience issues?

Anyway - thanks all!
That's correct i wasn't a fan of the SoC at the beginning however i still went ahead and bought it. I was pleasantly surprised with the performance. I agree it wont win accolades in the Antutu tests but it plays music well and with authority. Regarding the Bluetooth, i haven't tried it but i cant understand for the life of me why buy a DAP and use it for BT duty. I just don't get it. For me the wifi has been solid and hasn't caused any trouble yet. I am also about to play around with Lurkers add on and install some magisk modules for better battery etc. The SQ is really amazing to me and i am glad i got this one.

Jun 30, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #4,138 of 6,983

I don't use it that much, but I've gone jogging with DX160 + BT earbuds a few times, and done some testing at home (just testing, since I want wired or speakers at home). If I apply your example of "DX on a desk in front" then there's no issue at all. If I start walking around the house further away, there will be a point where it loses range and starts interrupting. Similarly, the jogging outside will occasionally be interrupted (depending on the amount of people I think...reminds me that I should do a test in nature). But if you have that one use case, you should be fine with it.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #4,140 of 6,983
Is it considered "normal" that the 4.4mm jack is supposed to be kind of loose? I remember reading about it in this thread, but I read those comments before I had 4.4mm cables so I don't recall the details. Now I got couple of such cables (fairly cheap chi-fi but they are fine) and at first I thought that my cable was broke when I could only hear the right channel properly, then I thought my DX160 balanced input was broke when I had same issue with the other cable...until I realized it needs to be somewhat loose and there's not a whole lot of leeway. I can adjust to it, but I would prefer a tight fit instead of thinking about it every time I listen to music on 4.4mm.
edit: issue solved, user error :L3000:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back