iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Jun 10, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #3,901 of 6,991
It's a bit weird, but after using Mango for a month, I started trying Neutron, and I liked it a lot with the UI and all the utilities packed in it. I ended up using Neutron for 1 month, and then I decided to check out UAPP, Hiby player, Fiio player, and Poweramp out of curiosity since everyone were talking about them. I discarded Fiio and Hiby, and I felt (and I still think so) that UAPP sounded a bit fuller, had a bit cleaner instrument separation than Mango, and a bit wider soundstage than Poweramp, and Neutron. After A-Bing a lot I decided to switch from Neutron to UAPP.

Jun 10, 2020 at 7:25 AM Post #3,902 of 6,991
Really? That's great info! Where did you get that from?
From my lg v30. Only bought the mqa to use with my dac. I explain better: first i had only the lg v30 with iem. I had no problem with mqa. After when i bought my dac i lost mqa. I wrote to extreamsd. The owner is a great person. The support is fantastic. He told me: the answer is simple because the lgv30 has hardware support of mqa only for the phone. For usb output you need to buy mqa add- on

Jun 10, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #3,903 of 6,991
If you use uapp with mqa hardaware you don' t need mqa add-on.
I know it works on the LG V phone, I don't believe this is applicable for the DX160. The buy MQA pop-up comes in when playing Tidal Masters or local MQA settings.
No Hi-Res settings flagged as suggested by the app, it recognizes the DX160 internal DAC at first start up, plays bit-perfect bypassing the Android audio system but no MQA.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #3,904 of 6,991
I know it works on the LG V phone, I don't believe this is applicable for the DX160. The buy MQA pop-up comes in when playing Tidal Masters or local MQA settings.
No Hi-Res settings flagged as suggested by the app, it recognizes the DX160 internal DAC at first start up, plays bit-perfect bypassing the Android audio system but no MQA.
Sorry but i read that dx-160 is mqa enabled. i´m wrong?
or it is only for mango player?

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #3,905 of 6,991
Sorry but i read that dx-160 is mqa enabled. i´m wrong?
or it is only for mango player?
It is MQA enabled indeed, but depending on the app you use it will work:
- Mango player, bitperfect, plays and unfolds MQA,
- Hiby, bitperfect, MQA is not unfolded
- Neutron, bitperfect, plays and unfolds MQA by standard
- UAPP, bitperfect, MQA unfolding will cost you extra

Jun 10, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #3,906 of 6,991
Even if you purchase the MQA add on for UAPP, it still only performs the first unfold and not the full unfold. I remember speaking with a UAPP representative a few months back and he confirmed this.

Jun 10, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #3,907 of 6,991
Even if you purchase the MQA add on for UAPP, it still only performs the first unfold and not the full unfold. I remember speaking with a UAPP representative a few months back and he confirmed this.
Even for a DAC which is MQA enabled? I can imagine this is this is the case for a non-MQA DAC, but in case of the DX160 I assume UUAP takes care of the first unfold (software) and that the DX160 does the 2nd (hardware) to full. Was just about to buy the MQA add-on, will ask the same question to @Davy Wentzler first.

Jun 10, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #3,908 of 6,991
I think the dx160 is already MQA certified thus it should be able to play MQA files natively. However, I do think that this is only applicable to the built in mango player. I will try to listen to some MQA files thru mango player and compare it to basic UAPP using the dx160

PS. I may not be able to hear any difference since I have hearing issues.

Jun 10, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #3,909 of 6,991
I think the dx160 is already MQA certified thus it should be able to play MQA files natively. However, I do think that this is only applicable to the built in mango player. I will try to listen to some MQA files thru mango player and compare it to basic UAPP using the dx160

Thanks, appreciated. If you make use of Tidal it should be easy to see, it shows in the top panel what the output is (Tidal Masters mostly 192kHz)
I tested with Neutron and a local MQA file, that worked as well.

Jun 10, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #3,910 of 6,991
Even for a DAC which is MQA enabled? I can imagine this is this is the case for a non-MQA DAC, but in case of the DX160 I assume UUAP takes care of the first unfold (software) and that the DX160 does the 2nd (hardware) to full. Was just about to buy the MQA add-on, will ask the same question to @Davy Wentzler first.
Yes, you should probably ask him first just to confirm. But what I was told was that it would only perform the first unfold from the UAPP app from the DAP, even though the DAC is MQA enabled. I remember this because I was a little surprised when he told me that. But again, perhaps you should ask first.

Yeah I agree, I think it may just apply for the Mango Player itself. I don't have UAPP to compare it to, but I actually was listening to MQA from Mango earlier and it sounded amazing. I will still probably end up purchasing UAPP anyway. I don't really listen to MQA a lot. I'm usually fine with Hi-Res if I want better quality. By the way, I'm talking about from my music library, not through Tidal Masters.

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #3,911 of 6,991
Yes, you should probably ask him first just to confirm. But what I was told was that it would only perform the first unfold from the UAPP app from the DAP, even though the DAC is MQA enabled. I remember this because I was a little surprised when he told me that. But again, perhaps you should ask first.
Dropped the same question in the UAPP thread

Yeah I agree, I think it may just apply for the Mango Player itself. I don't have UAPP to compare it to, but I actually was listening to MQA from Mango earlier and it sounded amazing. I will still probably end up purchasing UAPP anyway. I don't really listen to MQA a lot. I'm usually fine with Hi-Res if I want better quality. By the way, I'm talking about from my music library, not through Tidal Masters.
Mango Player AND Neutron, so it is doable by another app as well. I have some local MQA tracks, but mainly interested in using it with Tidal Masters

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #3,913 of 6,991
Neutron performs the full unfold too? How does MQA sound on Neutron compared to Mango?
I can't hear a difference between Mango or Neutron, but the extra advantages of Neutron for me are:
+ uPNP playback
+ Streaming to Chromecast Audio
+ Gapless playback works
+ Spectrum Analyzer
+ Highly configurable to your own liking

- No Tidal playback
- UI is something you need to get used to, will take some time to figure out where you need to be for a setting

You can try the evaluation version of Neutron for free for 5 days

Jun 10, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #3,914 of 6,991
I have mqa so no problem. But i think is deceptive advertising from ibasso.
It is absurde nonhave full mqa

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #3,915 of 6,991
I have mqa so no problem. But i think is deceptive advertising from ibasso.
It is absurde nonhave full mqa

What do you mean deceptive? Here, DX160, using native Mango app, and I get full MQA hw unfolding:

ibasso_dx160-29.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back