iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Jul 27, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #6,661 of 6,983
I have been using DX160 for several years on a daily basis, for the form factor you are hard pressed to find another DAP that has a better sound quality. The battery is decreasing but for my purpose, it is fine since only use it for around 2 hours each time.
However, I have the frozen screen upon startup more frequently. Now I have about 1/3 to even 1/2 of the times when I switched DX160 on, I have a frozen screen, and I have hard restart to make it work. It becoming very annoying and I am starting to look a replacement for DX160.
Although it is double the price, there is the DX240 which is the exact same form factor, with different DAC chips. Or, if you like the current sound of the DX160 the best, you could try the DX170 (the DX160 successor). It appears to be the same device, but with fixed hardware (WiFi, & BT, and upgraded CPU, though still a RockChip, to name a few).

I am a huge fan of the DX160, but I will probably pass on the DX170. It is like $100 more for the exact same device, but with a (still) slow CPU upgrade, and fixed issues that are what the DX160 should have been to begin with. For sound alone, I know it will sound fantastic, and I suppose I am being nitpick(y) here though. Who knows what products will be available by the time my DX160 takes a crap. I will probably get something around the same size though, because the DX300 is brilliant, but sometimes I just want something a bit smaller to carry around.

Jul 27, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #6,662 of 6,983
Although it is double the price, there is the DX240 which is the exact same form factor, with different DAC chips. Or, if you like the current sound of the DX160 the best, you could try the DX170 (the DX160 successor). It appears to be the same device, but with fixed hardware (WiFi, & BT, and upgraded CPU, though still a RockChip, to name a few).

I am a huge fan of the DX160, but I will probably pass on the DX170. It is like $100 more for the exact same device, but with a (still) slow CPU upgrade, and fixed issues that are what the DX160 should have been to begin with. For sound alone, I know it will sound fantastic, and I suppose I am being nitpick(y) here though. Who knows what products will be available by the time my DX160 takes a crap. I will probably get something around the same size though, because the DX300 is brilliant, but sometimes I just want something a bit smaller to carry around.
I also did not find DX170 attractive from the specs. I will check DX240, but right now, the most interesting offer will be Hiby RS2, and much smaller form factor R2R DAP.

Jul 27, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #6,663 of 6,983
I also did not find DX170 attractive from the specs. I will check DX240, but right now, the most interesting offer will be Hiby RS2, and much smaller form factor R2R DAP.
I've bought 2 months ago a Hiby NewR6 and I'm very pleased with it

Jul 27, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #6,664 of 6,983

I've bought 2 months ago a Hiby NewR6 and I'm very pleased with it
I haven't really even considered what direction I would go after one or both of my iBasso DAPs die. It was much the same back when FiiO first came out. I had two of their top DAPs at the time (OG X5, and the X3 II), so had to make a decision as I bought head gear that required more > 100 to 600 ohm heaphones/earbuds. Luckily it was right at the time that the DX160 came out, and it was reviewing at the top of its class of all the new mid-tier DAPs coming out at the same time. It drove those sets very well, and I have never looked back.

Jul 28, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #6,665 of 6,983
Sorry about the back but the good news it that its up and running. Please share the pictures of what happened. Its always good to see the innards of a device :)
I have mine apart as I'm waiting on a new battery from Ibasso. Here's what the inside looks like. As a side note, the back of mine came off very easily as the 3 sides were basically not glued.

Attachments

• IMG_20220727_233325.jpg
    IMG_20220727_233325.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Jul 28, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #6,666 of 6,983
I have mine apart as I'm waiting on a new battery from Ibasso. Here's what the inside looks like. As a side note, the back of mine came off very easily as the 3 sides were basically not glued.
Thanks for that picture.

Mine is actually loose enough that if I press on it, it can move. So I think mine is held on by pressure alone. This could be a good thing when it comes to changing the battery/fixing connector.

Jul 29, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #6,670 of 6,983
whello my new dap is coming to me a question I have what modifications are available for it and which modifications are most recommended and why thank you for your answer and best regards
Like what kind of modifications are you talking about, physical or software? If you're talking about software, there are a couple options. One is the iBasso DX160 firmware add-on by Lurker (my personal choice). The other is a whole new ROM. It is called Fidelizer.

I prefer the lurker add-on because, while it does some pretty powerful stuff, it doesn't change the stock experience that much. The Fidelizer ROM is a whole different OS, and I think it also costs money too.

Jul 30, 2022 at 3:02 AM Post #6,671 of 6,983
Like what kind of modifications are you talking about, physical or software? If you're talking about software, there are a couple options. One is the iBasso DX160 firmware add-on by Lurker (my personal choice). The other is a whole new ROM. It is called Fidelizer.

I prefer the lurker add-on because, while it does some pretty powerful stuff, it doesn't change the stock experience that much. The Fidelizer ROM is a whole different OS, and I think it also costs money too.
Depends if you choose the free one with lighter changes or the paid one such as the advanced purist rom. But gap in sound is really enjoyable.

Jul 30, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #6,672 of 6,983
Hi, I just received an iBasso with a broken wifi antenna, can anyone shed some light on where this is supposed to be soldered? Also I am looking to upgrade the battery, but that will be later, thanks in advance
Is that the 2020 version? I have the 2019 version and the antenna is on the other side of the board.

Also a few pages back there was a discussion about batteries and the conclusion seems to be the higher capacity claims for other batteries aren't realized in actual use.

Jul 30, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #6,673 of 6,983
Hi, I just received an iBasso with a broken wifi antenna, can anyone shed some light on where this is supposed to be soldered? Also I am looking to upgrade the battery, but that will be later, thanks in advance
IMG-20220729-WA0060.jpeg
You could write to @ Paul - iBasso and see if he can give you a diagram that shows the information you need.

Aug 1, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #6,674 of 6,983
Last edited:
iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Aug 1, 2022 at 4:27 PM Post #6,675 of 6,983

Users who are viewing this thread

Back