iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Sep 22, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #6,046 of 6,983
What is this Lurker mod anyway?
You answered - Lurker made mod to original software.
Is this some kind of unofficial firmware modification that requires a root?
Yes this is Lurker modified version and no it doesn't require rooting.
And with the Lurker Mod installed, should the dx160 get a slight boost in terms of sound quality?

Yes it is. In speed as it is optimized better and slight fidelity upgrade. At least to my ears. It could by my imagination also as i could not use it at the same with not modded version to compare.
How does it work, without the Lurker mod, with the Mango player and Android apps?
Works perfectly. Mango player good audio player but IMO even better usb audio player pro
The Mango player has an EQ and PQ from what I've heard, and they work fine?

Yes they work fine but still it is software eq that influences final sound, purity of signal and so on. So only you decide if it is worth for you
The Mango-Player can also be bit perfect and automatically and reliably switches to the correct sample rate, so there is no need for a resample?
Correct
And how about other apps from the Playstore, such as Neutron and usbaudioplayer pro? Do they work reliably bit perfect and without resample?
They should as they communicate directly to dac not including android resample
I ask for the reason that I am not so enthusiastic about Android, as it is well known that in the background all audio is first resample to 48 khz and who knows what else.

And the dx160 can actually 3 vrms on 3.5 jack socket? Then it can easily drive 150 ohm headphones such as a sennheiser hd660s?
Yes in theory, but even better from pentacon balanced out. In your case i would use balanced with dx160. It is better soundwise. Believe me :wink:
I just wonder how much the dap heats up with headphones like this. The dap should stay cool if possible. I wouldn't find a 45 degree warm dap in my trouser pocket so cool.
Dx160 does not heat much, ofcourse it will at some degree but my unit especially with lurker mod is quite cold or warm not going to sun temperatures :wink: nothing to worry about.
Dx160 still one of best sounding dap in his category as sound isn't getting old. Only not the fastest one.

Sep 22, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #6,047 of 6,983
you are right their naming of the models is confusing, can't see any clear logic. Only logic when you look at DX300 as completely new line that will have their own successors (or dx300max already is according to this logic).
Looking like that DX220 at the moment doesn't have any successor and 240 model should be it's update. So 160 update should be model beginning with 1.. so 170 or 180. But still this logic is interesting and much more complicated than simple naming structure as you wished - DX50 ,DX90 .. and so on. Still wish their model hierarchy naming was more logical
I agree the naming of their models is becoming confusing. Also iBasso needs to step up the software support, the last update for the DX160 was in August 2020.

I'm also intrigued with the DX240. Not sure if it's the successor of the DX220 since it looks to have similar size of DX160. Perhaps it could replace both models.

Sep 22, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #6,048 of 6,983
I agree the naming of their models is becoming confusing. Also iBasso needs to step up the software support, the last update for the DX160 was in August 2020.
Which company wants happy buyer with their one product "till death". For me it seem tha only the most patient will last with this model till update. Other will upgrade to newer models till then. If there will be no update in near future then for sure. But still i wished ibasso made the last and final update to make this player last much longer. It deserves that.
I'm also intrigued with the DX240. Not sure if it's the successor of the DX220 since it looks to have similar size of DX160. Perhaps it could replace both models.
Yeah me to, really intriquing model and as it seems has dimensions similar to 160 so with upgraded os and hardware it will be a big hit. With sound quality i even don't have any doubts, ibasso will make at top level.. only price is my concern

Sep 22, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #6,049 of 6,983
Which company wants happy buyer with their one product "till death". For me it seem tha only the most patient will last with this model till update. Other will upgrade to newer models till then. If there will be no update in near future then for sure. But still i wished ibasso made the last and final update to make this player last much longer. It deserves that.

Yeah me to, really intriquing model and as it seems has dimensions similar to 160 so with upgraded os and hardware it will be a big hit. With sound quality i even don't have any doubts, ibasso will make at top level.. only price is my concern
IBasso is lazy with updates compared to others like Shanling and Fiio. I don't want it "till death" but i rarely sell my gear and software probably is more important these days than hardware. I also have a Sony ZX507 and keeps receiving updates, even if it's only security updates.

Sep 22, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #6,050 of 6,983
IBasso is lazy with updates compared to others like Shanling and Fiio. I don't want it "till death" but i rarely sell my gear and software probably is more important these days than hardware. I also have a Sony ZX507 and keeps receiving updates, even if it's only security updates.
Exactly this, security updates should be a bare minimum for android

Sep 25, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #6,053 of 6,983
Hi all,

I recently purchased a DX160 (it is 3 weeks old) and earlier this week, I noticed that my screen froze twice when I was booting it up (at the start up animation); my battery drained from 96% to 6% when it was on standby mode one night, and I've been switching the device off everyday since.

I was wondering, is this normal? I'm largely just playing downloaded Tidal songs on offline mode and I've been getting approximately 5-6 hours of playback time on SE mode at around 40 volume -- My wifi is switched off about 90% of the time, bluetooth is turned off as well.

Would most appreciate the help!

Sep 26, 2021 at 2:56 AM Post #6,054 of 6,983
Hi all,

I recently purchased a DX160 (it is 3 weeks old) and earlier this week, I noticed that my screen froze twice when I was booting it up (at the start up animation); my battery drained from 96% to 6% when it was on standby mode one night, and I've been switching the device off everyday since.

I was wondering, is this normal? I'm largely just playing downloaded Tidal songs on offline mode and I've been getting approximately 5-6 hours of playback time on SE mode at around 40 volume -- My wifi is switched off about 90% of the time, bluetooth is turned off as well.

Hi. I don’t think it’s okay. My player never freezes, and it loads much faster than my smartphone. The battery loses 2% charge after 14 hours of standby mode. I don't use streaming services, so this is not a question for me. But such a large loss of charge does not seem normal to me.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2021 at 5:50 AM Post #6,055 of 6,983
Hi all,

Agree with the previous response, that is not normal. I’ve had mine about 8 weeks and its frozen once. But a reboot sorted that and nothing since. It starts up in about 15 seconds Standby overnight might lose me 5-8% battery but I turn it off everyday and use it for about 2-3 hours per day. Get about 5 days before charge….losing that amount overnight suggests to me it was trying to do something either via wi fi or Bluetooth…..

Sep 26, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #6,056 of 6,983
Hi all,

I would do a factory reset. I don't leave my DX160 on when not in use. It sounds like something was on in the background when it drained to 6% overnight. I would do a reset though and see how it goes.

Sep 26, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #6,057 of 6,983
Thank you so much for sharing your experiences and for your suggestions! I’ve just factory reset the DX160 — fingers crossed all works well now.

As a benchmark, do you guys know how much play time I should be getting if I’m listening to offline Tidal via the 3.5mm jack?

Sep 28, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #6,060 of 6,983
P= U²/R >>>300Ohm on 3,2V=34mW; 32Ohm on 2,8V=245mW. But that only applies to direct current and ohmic resistances. Headphones are inductivities, the resistance depends on the frequency. In addition, there is the question of how high is the achievable sound pressure at a certain output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back