iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Sep 22, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #4,773 of 6,983
I bought a right angle jack adapter to prevent any issues with weaking of the connector by constantly removing headphones. Might be worth a try.

In answer to your question: usb C Dac to jack if you want to go down that route.
I got a Meizu USB C but I can't seem to control the volume through the device.
I tried messing around with the sound settings, but no luck so far.

Is there a catch to it? Or I'm not able to control the volume of it?

Sep 23, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #4,775 of 6,983
Comparing the little bear which I demoed a while ago to the iFi Nano Black Label, I am loving the latter much more. If anybody is looking to get the Little Bear B4-x, don't forget to give the iFi a try. The only thing I don't like about the iFi is that it only accepts USB input. You cannot connect it to the DX160 with 3.5 to 3.5 cable.

The battery life is definitely a plus. On paper it was 10hr. I got about 7-8 hours which is quite decent.

It supports MQA. Some said its snake oil. But I feel it has a bit more space and airy feel to the songs played. Really worth the try. In hindsight, I would very much hope to have liked the Little Bear but I am glad I got the iFi nano Black Label.

Sep 23, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #4,776 of 6,983
The Ifi Black Label is a DAC and a ss amp while the Little Bear is a tube amp. I don't think they are compareable. I guess the Ifi hip dac comes closer to the typical tube sound than the Nano BL. The hip dac is only 60 EUR more then the Little Bear and is also a DAC and amp and has a better battery life then the Little Bear and a offers a better qc.

I don't know why you pair the nano BL with the IBasso because regarding the sound both should be on a par and the Ibasso has the better output.

Sep 23, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #4,777 of 6,983
I got a Meizu USB C but I can't seem to control the volume through the device.
I tried messing around with the sound settings, but no luck so far.

Is there a catch to it? Or I'm not able to control the volume of it?
You need an app that controls a USB output device eg UAPP
  1. With the USB audio device connected, open UAPP and grant it exclusive control over the USB audio device
  2. Set the USB audio device’s hardware volume to maximum
  3. Exit UAPP

Sep 24, 2020 at 2:19 AM Post #4,778 of 6,983
Hi. I'm planning to buy one DAP as I've bricked my iRiver H120 after attempting to change it's battery and I've done some small research on some of the DAPs.

I'm not an audiophile but rather just someone who loves music so correct me if I get my terms wrong. Most of my collection is in physical form but I've some collection of digital files which I've accumulated throughout the years. Seems like it's better for me to continue my music collection in digital format rather than in physical form for convenience and mostly due to cost so I'm thinking of investing in a DAP for long terms. Wish that I could get some input from this forum.:

My criteria
1. Streaming App
2. WiFi
3. Ample battery life.
4. USB DAC (not compulsory but good to have)
5. Price below USD 300
6. Neutral sound but not being too analytical. More to musical.
7. To keep for long term thus parts such as battery preferably replaceable.

My current headphone/IEM :
1. AKG Y50
2. Soundmagic E10
3. TIN T4

DAPs I'm considering :

Sony NW A105
1. Streaming app available but apparently it's downsampled?
2. Wifi & BT functional
3. Battery poor. Require daily charging.
4. Need input on the sound quality. Most reviews mentioned only good sq better than phone, but how much better? And the sound signature, tone, etc.
5. USB DAC not available. Any possibility new firmware could make this available?
6. Priced below USD 300
7. Need input if battery is replaceable.

Hiby R5
1. Streaming app available.
2. Wifi & BT functional
3. Battery sufficient
4. From reviews, seems like the sound is neutral but slightly warmer than DX160.
5. USB DAC function available.
6. Retail price above USD 300 but could get below 300 on sale
7. No visible screw for disassembly. Battery not replaceable?

Ibasso DX160
2. Wifi & BT available but poor reception/coverage
3. Battery sufficient
4. From reviews, seems like the sound is neutral with slightly warm tone but less warm than R5
5. USB DAC function available
6. Retail price above USD 300 but hoping to get below 300 on sale.
7. Battery replaceable?

I couldn't test any of it from any shop yet thus I mainly rely on reviews. Appreciate if I could get some feedback. Also if there's is other suggestion on other DAP that I should consider?

Sep 24, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #4,779 of 6,983
Hi. I'm planning to buy one DAP as I've bricked my iRiver H120 after attempting to change it's battery and I've done some small research on some of the DAPs.

I'm not an audiophile but rather just someone who loves music so correct me if I get my terms wrong. Most of my collection is in physical form but I've some collection of digital files which I've accumulated throughout the years. Seems like it's better for me to continue my music collection in digital format rather than in physical form for convenience and mostly due to cost so I'm thinking of investing in a DAP for long terms. Wish that I could get some input from this forum.:

My criteria
1. Streaming App
2. WiFi
3. Ample battery life.
4. USB DAC (not compulsory but good to have)
5. Price below USD 300
6. Neutral sound but not being too analytical. More to musical.
7. To keep for long term thus parts such as battery preferably replaceable.

My current headphone/IEM :
1. AKG Y50
2. Soundmagic E10
3. TIN T4

DAPs I'm considering :

Sony NW A105
1. Streaming app available but apparently it's downsampled?
2. Wifi & BT functional
3. Battery poor. Require daily charging.
4. Need input on the sound quality. Most reviews mentioned only good sq better than phone, but how much better? And the sound signature, tone, etc.
5. USB DAC not available. Any possibility new firmware could make this available?
6. Priced below USD 300
7. Need input if battery is replaceable.

Hiby R5
2. Wifi & BT functional
3. Battery sufficient
4. From reviews, seems like the sound is neutral but slightly warmer than DX160.
5. USB DAC function available.
6. Retail price above USD 300 but could get below 300 on sale
7. No visible screw for disassembly. Battery not replaceable?

Ibasso DX160
2. Wifi & BT available but poor reception/coverage
3. Battery sufficient
4. From reviews, seems like the sound is neutral with slightly warm tone but less warm than R5
5. USB DAC function available
6. Retail price above USD 300 but hoping to get below 300 on sale.
7. Battery replaceable?

I couldn't test any of it from any shop yet thus I mainly rely on reviews. Appreciate if I could get some feedback. Also if there's is other suggestion on other DAP that I should consider?
Dx160 is above 300$. But you can get used one for 280-300$

Sep 24, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #4,781 of 6,983
Yes, but from what I read the 2019 version still have the Wifi problem although with updated firmware & Lurker's mod. Is it true?

I think someone has modded their DX160 internals here. Does it means that the battery is replaceable?
The original battery is not that bad to be honest. Wifi would drain any DAPs battery fast. For 280-300$ you can buy 2020 version if that's your concern although 2019 has much better screen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back