iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Feb 27, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #2,836 of 6,983
And. . .the freaking noise is back! What the heck. Looks like this one is getting exchanged.

Feb 27, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #2,837 of 6,983
It's me again, and I have been trying different things to isolate the crazy noise. So, with the screen off and music playing in Quboz offline mode, there is absolutely no noise, and things sound incredible. I have the 2.5 to 4.4 adapter arriving shortly, and will be able to test the balanced jack for noise in a bit. I guess I don't need the screen on, but it would be nice to see the beautiful album cover art. . .

Feb 27, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #2,838 of 6,983
If there are issues. Better send it back to where you bought it and/or contact ibasso. I have messaged them a lot of times and paul from ibasso is really helpful. Though the noise issue you have experienced is something I have not encountered with or without Lurker's mod

Feb 27, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #2,839 of 6,983
If there are issues. Better send it back to where you bought it and/or contact ibasso. I have messaged them a lot of times and paul from ibasso is really helpful. Though the noise issue you have experienced is something I have not encountered with or without Lurker's mod
I just got the RMA for my noisy DX160, so it's heading back for an exchange. I really love what I heard, other than the noise, so fingers crossed the next one is good.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #2,840 of 6,983
Hello, all of you faithful followers here. I have several noob type questions, and I need your succinct help, please.
1) I have not opened my DX160 yet, I'd like to get it right.--- so do I open it to Wi-Fi and watch the iBasso updates load? Is it that easy?
Or do I need to open out of the range of my Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, and load @Lurker0' panapoly of flashwork (and as ignorant as I am, hope all's well and then add whatever updates that iBasso has thought important?
2) I am, like others, interested in surppasing my iPod 160 Classic song capacity ;Can I put my iPod non digital rights music on a micro SD card in the DX 160?
If so is there something like a Microsoft app that would convert all my files to FLAC?
I am only interested in downloading my CDs into verye great quality sounds, and as simply as I can.
3) With that in view, and as I am leaving iTunes behind, will some of you please share what might be the better ways to get my files into a larger micro SD card, in an efficient way?
Also, I would like to express a shout out of hope and courage to folks like Paul @ibasso, and his family and all the people who went on Holiday for a Happy New Year, and now live in a house on fire, figuratively.
All, and any help or advice will be gratefully appreciated. Thank you. Jerry.
If it were me (and you don't have to do any of this. You don't even have to update your DX at all if you don't want to. It would probably work great out of the box, but iBasso has been pretty regular with bug fixes (well some are still there hehe).
1)Whether you plan on doing the Lurker update or not, I would get the official update first, then if you wan Lurker's update it will install just fine over it. If you do the Lurker update first, you cannot update with the latest firmware update (if it is not on your device out of the box) without first removing Lurker's update. Check out his readme, it is very informative.
2) Yes, you can put any music you want on the DX (excet the DRM stuff). As to converting, if you have been using iTunes, your music is not lossless, and converting from that to FLAC would be like making a copy of a copy, it just gets worse. You have to start with high quality to convert to high quality. If you have actual CDs, then yes you can convert those into FLAC just fine. There is a lot of software you can use to do this. Windows Media Player still works just fine, but others will say use this app, or that app. Personally I use Mediamonkey to do all of my ripping, and tagging, and organization. The software is free, but you will have to pay to unlock the ripping into FLAC feature. I use Foobar to play my music from my pc though.
3)I also use mediamonkey to copy all my music to my SD cards. You can just copy your music folders to your card, and that is it. Let your DX scan for music and your done. I like to use the sync feature of MM because it helps when I add new music, since it keeps track of what I already have on the card. But, again, there are a LOT of good pieces of software out there that you can use. Don't lock yourself into one based on recommendations, until you find one that suites you best.

Yes I have thrown the sd cards away. The formating can destroy a card especially when you change to another partition layout like ext3. That was a common issue for me with Sandisk. Samsung is also okay from what I believe. But no way Samsung products in my house. Hate that brand. That's personal.
I don't mean to sound argumentative, because I really am not, but you cannot physically hurt a card by formatting it, even if you change formats. You will destry the data that was on it, but you can't hurt it forever, it can be fixed..

Ok, I just tried my Noble Savant II, and they are dead silent? WTH! Not sure what was going on yesterday, but this morning is pure bliss. . .
LOL well, don't look a gift horse in the mouth.... :)
Edit: Oh wow! Maybe my browser messed up or something. Maybe it was because I wrote a book and it took forever, but I didn't even see your post about it messing up again... Sorry, I spoke too soon then.. But glad you are getting an exchange.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2020 at 12:01 AM Post #2,841 of 6,983
If it were me (and you don't have to do any of this. You don't even have to update your DX at all if you don't want to. It would probably work great out of the box, but iBasso has been pretty regular with bug fixes (well some are still there hehe).
1)Whether you plan on doing the Lurker update or not, I would get the official update first, then if you wan Lurker's update it will install just fine over it. If you do the Lurker update first, you cannot update with the latest firmware update (if it is not on your device out of the box) without first removing Lurker's update. Check out his readme, it is very informative.
2) Yes, you can put any music you want on the DX (excet the DRM stuff). As to converting, if you have been using iTunes, your music is not lossless, and converting from that to FLAC would be like making a copy of a copy, it just gets worse. You have to start with high quality to convert to high quality. If you have actual CDs, then yes you can convert those into FLAC just fine. There is a lot of software you can use to do this. Windows Media Player still works just fine, but others will say use this app, or that app. Personally I use Mediamonkey to do all of my ripping, and tagging, and organization. The software is free, but you will have to pay to unlock the ripping into FLAC feature. I use Foobar to play my music from my pc though.
3)I also use mediamonkey to copy all my music to my SD cards. You can just copy your music folders to your card, and that is it. Let your DX scan for music and your done. I like to use the sync feature of MM because it helps when I add new music, since it keeps track of what I already have on the card. But, again, there are a LOT of good pieces of software out there that you can use. Don't lock yourself into one based on recommendations, until you find one that suites you best.

I don't mean to sound argumentative, because I really am not, but you cannot physically hurt a card by formatting it, even if you change formats. You will destry the data that was on it, but you can't hurt it forever, it can be fixed..

LOL well, don't look a gift horse in the mouth.... :)
Edit: Oh wow! Maybe my browser messed up or something. Maybe it was because I wrote a book and it took forever, but I didn't even see your post about it messing up again... Sorry, I spoke too soon then.. But glad you are getting an exchange.

Samandhi- Thank you, I actually feel better now and you have helped me reduce anxiety.
Especially, I was so clueless re the ALAC to FLAC. I knew that I was making a.mountain out of a molehill. Thanks, sincerely.
Jerry

Feb 28, 2020 at 12:24 AM Post #2,842 of 6,983
Samandhi- Thank you, I actually feel better now and you have helped me reduce anxiety.
Especially, I was so clueless re the ALAC to FLAC. I knew that I was making a.mountain out of a molehill. Thanks, sincerely.
Jerry
You are welcome. Enjoy your new toy. It really is fantastic.

Feb 28, 2020 at 2:11 AM Post #2,843 of 6,983
Feb 29, 2020 at 2:11 AM Post #2,844 of 6,983
Hi guys, just sold my DX120 and can't wait for DX160 to arrive. I'm not a fan of Android DAPs, but I think with some tweaks and maybe Lurkers MangoOS mode, its gonna be cool :D

I wanted to ask if you can recommend a case for the DX160. I had Miter one on my DX120 and I was really satisfied.
On ebay I found Miter case and also this Easecase, which cost a bit more.
Any experience with them?
DX160 looks amazing, but I'm always afraid to put it in my pocket without any case and risk scratching...
s-l400.jpg
s-l400 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2020 at 4:34 AM Post #2,845 of 6,983
Hello. I received my dx160 yesterday and installed play services using @Lurker0 's rom immediately. However, when I tried connecting the 160 to my pc or phone to use as a DAC using the mango player's dac mode option, it doesn't work. I have tried 3 different cables and can't seem to make it work. I can't seem to find any manual either. Any suggestions?

Feb 29, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #2,846 of 6,983
Hi guys, just sold my DX120 and can't wait for DX160 to arrive. I'm not a fan of Android DAPs, but I think with some tweaks and maybe Lurkers MangoOS mode, its gonna be cool :D

I wanted to ask if you can recommend a case for the DX160. I had Miter one on my DX120 and I was really satisfied.
DX160 looks amazing, but I'm always afraid to put it in my pocket without any case and risk scratching...
s-l400.jpg
s-l400 (1).jpg

As i mentioned before the Mitter case is "just" a plastic case which don't justify the price.

I have been Lurking on the easecase which costs a little more but uses real leather.
They have a shop on AliExpress which the closed down because of the virus. Maybe they they are up again. There were lots of positive feedback. And they have tons of colors and fabrics and you can write your own logo or text which is cool.

I use my DAP mostly at home so I think I won't buy it.

Feb 29, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #2,847 of 6,983
However, when I tried connecting the 160 to my pc or phone to use as a DAC using the mango player's dac mode option, it doesn't work
Have you installed drivers? I presume you use Windows.

Feb 29, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #2,848 of 6,983

Just in case you don't want to buy a case, and didn't know, the DX160 comes with a silicone case, and screen protectors. It will be protected in your pocket. Though that Easecase looks pretty nice too.

Hello. I received my dx160 yesterday and installed play services using @Lurker0 's rom immediately. However, when I tried connecting the 160 to my pc or phone to use as a DAC using the mango player's dac mode option, it doesn't work. I have tried 3 different cables and can't seem to make it work. I can't seem to find any manual either. Any suggestions?
What Lurker said, but also make sure that one of the 3 of those cables are bi-directional, or they won't work. The stock cable that comes with the player doesn't work. I have found quite a few different cables that I own don't work either. I finally found that my stock cable that came with my Note 9 works though.

Edit: Oh! and congratulations on getting your new DX

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #2,849 of 6,983
Have you installed drivers? I presume you use Windows.

I did it on Windows 10.DX160 does not show up as an output option. Also, it isn't working on my op6 either.
Just in case you don't want to buy a case, and didn't know, the DX160 comes with a silicone case, and screen protectors. It will be protected in your pocket. Though that Easecase looks pretty nice too.

What Lurker said, but also make sure that one of the 3 of those cables are bi-directional, or they won't work. The stock cable that comes with the player doesn't work. I have found quite a few different cables that I own don't work either. I finally found that my stock cable that came with my Note 9 works though.

Edit: Oh! and congratulations on getting your new DX
Thank you.
And yes, I tried with 2 cables that are bidirectional confirmed. I am however confused. Am I missing something here?

Feb 29, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #2,850 of 6,983
I did it on Windows 10.DX160 does not show up as an output option. Also, it isn't working on my op6 either.

Thank you.
And yes, I tried with 2 cables that are bidirectional confirmed. I am however confused. Am I missing something here?
As for Windows, there is a windows driver that you need to install from the iBasso site.

For your phone, I can only speculate, because I haven't actually used it that way yet (don't really have a reason to use it, because the DX does just what my phone does but better, other than make calls). But, I DO remember trying to hook up my Fiio E17K as a DAC, and had issues with the android system. It was/is really picky about charging and sending data at the same time. I don't know if this has been remedied in contemporary versions of android, but this used to be a huge limitation. Maybe try installing UAPP (USB Audio Player Pro), because it bypasses the android driver for USB audio with its own, and it works very well. If you just GOTTA' use your phone as a transport, and can't get the USB to work, you could always try the BT DAC option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back