iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Feb 26, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #2,821 of 6,983
I don't believe in audio graded SD Cards. IMO it's just stealing money.

I always have very good experience with Lexar sd cards. I always manage to destroy Sandisk with formatting. With Lexar 633x never happened.
Thanks for the info! I am a bit late to the party, when it comes to DAPs and micro sd cards.

Feb 26, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #2,822 of 6,983
Hey all!

I am looking to get a micro sd card, for my new DX160, and I was wondering what is the best kind to get. Does one sound better than the other?

Thanks for your time!

Wes
Video grade, and audio grade micro SD card labeling is just marketing to part you from your money. It is all about the speed of the card. It is like me telling you that if you are going to listen to music from your PC, you need a hard drive upgrade for better sound. A micro SD card is just a hard drive (with no moving parts inside) to store information on. The music player, and the hardware inside the DAP is what makes the audio sound good or bad, not the SD card. It will have no effect on the quality of sound through your DAP (or any other device for that matter).

That being said, I always buy Sandisk, or Samsung (a large reputable brand), and I always buy it from a reputable store. If I buy online, I will get it from B&H photo (in the US), because there are a lot of scammers that work their magic in programming and make it look like it is bigger than it is. So, when you buy a 256gb card for $80, they actually make money off of you because it is actually a 6gb card that your computer can't figure out why it can't write to the card because in all intents and purpose it looks like it should be able to. If you want to know more about this go here.

Most speeds on modern, reputable SD cards will be perfectly workable in your DAP. There is really no need to have the absolute fastest speeds. This doesn't really effect a 2-20 minute song. The write speed is where it would matter most, but you aren't writing to the card like you would a 4k video. Unless you DO plan on taking 4k video, in which case you WOULD need a fast-as-possible card. Hope this helps.

I don't believe in audio graded SD Cards. IMO it's just stealing money.

I always have very good experience with Lexar sd cards. I always manage to destroy Sandisk with formatting. With Lexar 633x never happened.

You can't actually physically ruin a micro SD card by formatting. I hope you didn't throw all those away... hehe

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #2,823 of 6,983
Video grade, and audio grade micro SD card labeling is just marketing to part you from your money. It is all about the speed of the card. It is like me telling you that if you are going to listen to music from your PC, you need a hard drive upgrade for better sound. A micro SD card is just a hard drive (with no moving parts inside) to store information on. The music player, and the hardware inside the DAP is what makes the audio sound good or bad, not the SD card. It will have no effect on the quality of sound through your DAP (or any other device for that matter).

That being said, I always buy Sandisk, or Samsung (a large reputable brand), and I always buy it from a reputable store. If I buy online, I will get it from B&H photo (in the US), because there are a lot of scammers that work their magic in programming and make it look like it is bigger than it is. So, when you buy a 256gb card for $80, they actually make money off of you because it is actually a 6gb card that your computer can't figure out why it can't write to the card because in all intents and purpose it looks like it should be able to. If you want to know more about this go here.

Most speeds on modern, reputable SD cards will be perfectly workable in your DAP. There is really no need to have the absolute fastest speeds. This doesn't really effect a 2-20 minute song. The write speed is where it would matter most, but you aren't writing to the card like you would a 4k video. Unless you DO plan on taking 4k video, in which case you WOULD need a fast-as-possible card. Hope this helps.

You can't actually physically ruin a micro SD card by formatting. I hope you didn't throw all those away... hehe
Thanks for the info!

Feb 26, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #2,824 of 6,983
So now I am home in a quiet environment, and using single ended connection and there is so much noise I can't use this thing. I am using my Noble K10U with a Satin Audio Athena 8 wire single ended. The noise is really bad when I touch the screen, and intermittent when I am not touching it. When I listen to Quboz offline, the noise is only there when I touch the screen. I love the sound quality and presentation of this device, but the noise when connected to wifi is unacceptable. Am I doing something wrong? Is balanced the only way to use this without noise issues? I think this DX160 might be getting returned and I am really bummed!

Feb 26, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #2,825 of 6,983
Thanks for the info!
With all that being said, keep in mind that the read speed will effect how quickly you DAP will build your database of songs when you first put it in the player (which to me is not too bad). It took mine about 5 or 6 minutes (IIRC) for 10K songs. And once it has built that database, you don't really have to scan it again.

Also, the write speed will effect how fast you can put songs from your pc to your card (if that is route you go). But, again it is not THAT much difference for the differences in some of the higher end card prices.

Feb 26, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #2,826 of 6,983
So now I am home in a quiet environment, and using single ended connection and there is so much noise I can't use this thing. I am using my Noble K10U with a Satin Audio Athena 8 wire single ended. The noise is really bad when I touch the screen, and intermittent when I am not touching it. When I listen to Quboz offline, the noise is only there when I touch the screen. I love the sound quality and presentation of this device, but the noise when connected to wifi is unacceptable. Am I doing something wrong? Is balanced the only way to use this without noise issues? I think this DX160 might be getting returned and I am really bummed!
Yeah, sounds like you got something wrong with yours. If I am correct, those are 30 ohms, so you shouldn't be picking up too much noise. Did you try them on low gain?

I have read on this thread of others having this issue, though it seems more that DON'T have this issue than do. Give iBasso a shout, they seem to have been good at working with people (though, since I haven't had any issues, I don't know for sure).

Feb 26, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #2,827 of 6,983
Yeah, sounds like you got something wrong with yours. If I am correct, those are 30 ohms, so you shouldn't be picking up too much noise. Did you try them on low gain?

I have read on this thread of others having this issue, though it seems more that DON'T have this issue than do. Give iBasso a shout, they seem to have been good at working with people (though, since I haven't had any issues, I don't know for sure).
Thanks! Yep, I did not think I should have an issue with the K10U, but the noise is insanely loud.

Feb 26, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #2,828 of 6,983
Thanks! Yep, I did not think I should have an issue with the K10U, but the noise is insanely loud.
Let us all know how things go for you!? I am curious to know what iBasso says, and how they deal with it. I would REALLY like to know what they think the problem is, but I doubt that will reach further than the confines of iBasso engineering, unless it becomes a wide-spread issue, and even then it may never surface.

Oh to be a fly on the wall of some of these companies that KNOW they have issues, and to hear the brain-storming on how to deal with it. hehe

Feb 26, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #2,829 of 6,983
Let us all know how things go for you!? I am curious to know what iBasso says, and how they deal with it. I would REALLY like to know what they think the problem is, but I doubt that will reach further than the confines of iBasso engineering, unless it becomes a wide-spread issue, and even then it may never surface.

Oh to be a fly on the wall of some of these companies that KNOW they have issues, and to hear the brain-storming on how to deal with it. hehe
Will do! Interesting thing just happened when I plugged in my Blon BL03. I don't here any noise at all! Seems that both my Noble iems are the problem children, and who knows how sensitive they really are since Noble does not ever give that info out, but I am guessing they are very sensitive. I will report back after more research, with my other iems, and headphones. I really do love the sound of the DX160.

Feb 26, 2020 at 10:04 PM Post #2,830 of 6,983
Will do! Interesting thing just happened when I plugged in my Blon BL03. I don't here any noise at all! Seems that both my Noble iems are the problem children, and who knows how sensitive they really are since Noble does not ever give that info out, but I am guessing they are very sensitive. I will report back after more research, with my other iems, and headphones. I really do love the sound of the DX160.
That is great news (sorta'). But they must be super sensitive to hear that at 30 ohms. I know the output impedance of the DX is only 0.3, so its not really a mismatch thing.

I have tried the DX with all my IEMs, and headphones, including 3.5mm SE, LO, SPDIF, USB audio, USB DAC, and 4.4mm balanced with no hint of noise at all (absolutely black on all counts). Are you running your Noble's with a balanced cable with a 3.5 SE adaptor? Have you tried balanced with the Nobles? I have heard that the 4.4mm balanced port actually has more noise on those that have had the noise issue, but who knows? Do you get any noise from you pc mic out? Do you have the Lurker add-on installed? If so try again with the IEMs in Mango OS mode?!

You don't have to do any of this, I am just curious as to what might be causing the issue. Also, I think that is BS to not give out specs for an IEM that most people cannot demo before buying. I realize that companies like Bose also don't give out those specs (At least they didn't used to), but their phones will sound about the same on any device (bad, but still same on all hehe). These are supposedly end game IEMs. I would never buy without knowing all the facts. Not that I would pay that much for an IEM anyhow.

Speaking of which, when you don't have the noise, how do those sound on the DX, compared to whatever you were driving them with before?

Feb 26, 2020 at 10:36 PM Post #2,831 of 6,983
I just had one 3.5mm IEM that I needed to pull the jack OUT about 1/8 inch to make good contact. Wonder if that might have happened to you? Easy to test...
That jack was a 4 pole one with mic... which may be it's "issue" with insertion. An o-ring will cure it

Feb 26, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #2,832 of 6,983
I just had one 3.5mm IEM that I needed to pull the jack OUT about 1/8 inch to make good contact. Wonder if that might have happened to you? Easy to test...
That jack was a 4 pole one with mic... which may be it's "issue" with insertion. An o-ring will cure it
That only happens with a cable that has a mic up/down controls on it and if it is configured as CTIA instead of OMTP. It is not because it wasn't making good connection. It is because, when you pulled it out a bit you were essentially moving the ground pole to the correct contact in the jack itself. I bought a cheap $3 switching/adaptor for the ones I have that have the CTIA control scheme. When I first came across that issue I had never seen it before. In all honesty I didn't even know there was a difference in the trrs connections (that the mic and ground poles were switched depending on if it were on part of the world as opposed to the other part of the world) until I bought this DAP. All the other DAPS I've owned have had the CTIA configuration as opposed to the OMTP that iBasso uses.

Feb 27, 2020 at 1:37 AM Post #2,833 of 6,983
Hello, all of you faithful followers here. I have several noob type questions, and I need your succinct help, please.
1) I have not opened my DX160 yet, I'd like to get it right.--- so do I open it to Wi-Fi and watch the iBasso updates load? Is it that easy?
Or do I need to open out of the range of my Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, and load @Lurker0' panapoly of flashwork (and as ignorant as I am, hope all's well and then add whatever updates that iBasso has thought important?
2) I am, like others, interested in surppasing my iPod 160 Classic song capacity ;Can I put my iPod non digital rights music on a micro SD card in the DX 160?
If so is there something like a Microsoft app that would convert all my files to FLAC?
I am only interested in downloading my CDs into verye great quality sounds, and as simply as I can.
3) With that in view, and as I am leaving iTunes behind, will some of you please share what might be the better ways to get my files into a larger micro SD card, in an efficient way?
Also, I would like to express a shout out of hope and courage to folks like Paul @ibasso, and his family and all the people who went on Holiday for a Happy New Year, and now live in a house on fire, figuratively.
All, and any help or advice will be gratefully appreciated. Thank you. Jerry.

Feb 27, 2020 at 3:05 AM Post #2,834 of 6,983
@samandhi

Yes I have thrown the sd cards away. The formating can destroy a card especially when you change to another partition layout like ext3. That was a common issue for me with Sandisk. Samsung is also okay from what I believe. But no way Samsung products in my house. Hate that brand. That's personal.

@parker12

To be sure?? Open up the DX160 physically to update?? You don't have to open up the device for that. Just follow the instructions on Lurker his website. It's an easy job.

And as for the noise with WiFi ... I really have never experienced that.
Could it be something to do with WiFi power? Here in Europe we are not allowed to transmit above 100mW. US is 150mW from what I can remember.

If your router has a power gain (I know asus has) you can try to lower it and try.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #2,835 of 6,983
That is great news (sorta'). But they must be super sensitive to hear that at 30 ohms. I know the output impedance of the DX is only 0.3, so its not really a mismatch thing.

I have tried the DX with all my IEMs, and headphones, including 3.5mm SE, LO, SPDIF, USB audio, USB DAC, and 4.4mm balanced with no hint of noise at all (absolutely black on all counts). Are you running your Noble's with a balanced cable with a 3.5 SE adaptor? Have you tried balanced with the Nobles? I have heard that the 4.4mm balanced port actually has more noise on those that have had the noise issue, but who knows? Do you get any noise from you pc mic out? Do you have the Lurker add-on installed? If so try again with the IEMs in Mango OS mode?!

You don't have to do any of this, I am just curious as to what might be causing the issue. Also, I think that is BS to not give out specs for an IEM that most people cannot demo before buying. I realize that companies like Bose also don't give out those specs (At least they didn't used to), but their phones will sound about the same on any device (bad, but still same on all hehe). These are supposedly end game IEMs. I would never buy without knowing all the facts. Not that I would pay that much for an IEM anyhow.

Speaking of which, when you don't have the noise, how do those sound on the DX, compared to whatever you were driving them with before?
I have not tried the balanced 4.4 port yet, as I am waiting on a 2.5mm to 4.4 adapter.

I did try another iem, my Campfire Lyra II, and it is dead silent, and sounds killer.:ksc75smile:

I am aware of a 3.5 mic cable needing an adapter, but thanks for the suggestion @CactusPete23.

Ok, I just tried my Noble Savant II, and they are dead silent? WTH! Not sure what was going on yesterday, but this morning is pure bliss. . .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back