iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Sep 13, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #271 of 6,983
I really want to see more people get it. We could get a better idea that way.

Sep 14, 2019 at 12:07 AM Post #273 of 6,983
Battery life drops really fast if you turn on the screen, probably it won't last 2 ~ 3 hrs. However, with the screen off, it can last about 6 ~ 7 hrs for just playing music. With streaming app like Spotify and wifi on, it can last about 5 ~ 6 hrs.

By any chance, did you install any app that could be draining battery that fast? Otherwise, I think something could be wrong with your unit. Been using DX160 mostly for streaming in the last few days. From 4.4mm, wifi on, using Qobuz, streaming hi-res files with periodic screen on/off, and running virtual volume widget on top - I'm getting on average 8-9% battery drop per hr. Will do full charge and battery drain to zero tomorrow, to see how long it will last.

Based on what I'm hearing, DX160 has a very wide soundstage, even a little wider than DX220 w/amp1mk2, and also the sound of DX160 is more reference quality, even more transparent in comparison to DX220 with its stock amp. Another noticeable difference, tested with Andros and Solaris, and I can't hear any hissing even when idling or playing with volume down to zero, while with DX220 there is a slight "waterfall". A few people asked me how DX160 stacks up against M11 and R5, and based on what I'm hearing DX160 has improved dynamics and layering, and wider soundstage. Actually, DX160 more reference tonality kind of reminds me of LPGT.

ibasso_dx160-x01.jpg

Sep 14, 2019 at 1:54 AM Post #274 of 6,983
By any chance, did you install any app that could be draining battery that fast? Otherwise, I think something could be wrong with your unit. Been using DX160 mostly for streaming in the last few days. From 4.4mm, wifi on, using Qobuz, streaming hi-res files with periodic screen on/off, and running virtual volume widget on top - I'm getting on average 8-9% battery drop per hr. Will do full charge and battery drain to zero tomorrow, to see how long it will last.

Based on what I'm hearing, DX160 has a very wide soundstage, even a little wider than DX220 w/amp1mk2, and also the sound of DX160 is more reference quality, even more transparent in comparison to DX220 with its stock amp. Another noticeable difference, tested with Andros and Solaris, and I can't hear any hissing even when idling or playing with volume down to zero, while with DX220 there is a slight "waterfall". A few people asked me how DX160 stacks up against M11 and R5, and based on what I'm hearing DX160 has improved dynamics and layering, and wider soundstage. Actually, DX160 more reference tonality kind of reminds me of LPGT.

I do a quick check from the iBasso fans forum in China, this guy has a DX160 with even worse battery life, "playing dsd, vol.40, screen off for 1 hr, drain 20% battery". I usually kill all apps while using DX160, and keep only the streaming app, of course with screen off. It roughly drains 15% for a hour use. Unless iBasso makes two different batches of DX160, I have no idea why our DX160 have such a difference in battery life. If its not normal, I suggest they should do a recall.

dx160.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019 at 3:31 AM Post #276 of 6,983
I do a quick check from the iBasso fans forum in China, this guy has a DX160 with even worse battery life, "playing dsd, vol.40, screen off for 1 hr, drain 20% battery". I usually kill all apps while using DX160, and keep only the streaming app, of course with screen off. It roughly drains 15% for a hour use. Unless iBasso makes two different batches of DX160, I have no idea why our DX160 have such a difference in battery life. If its not normal, I suggest they should do a recall.
Playing DSD seems to use more battery on all the DAPs so I suspect this is normal for DX160.

Sep 14, 2019 at 7:11 AM Post #279 of 6,983
@twister6 so can you confirm that DX160 are more on the cold-analytical side of the sound signature?

I would say so based on what I'm hearing now while listening with U18t, Solaris, and Andro. But I wouldn't call it cold-analytical, but rather neutral-analytical. Also, please keep in mind, I got about 30hrs of combined burn in and listening time so far, thus not sure if anything will change with more mileage. Another thing, many times I run into a situation where people have a slightly different definition of the sound, thus I would prefer to say DX160 sounds more analytical relative to DX220 with a stock amp1mk2, while DX220 mids/ovcals sound a little warmer/thicker in comparison. Furthermore, I keep coming back to DX160 vs LPGT where they have a lot of resemblance in tonality.

Not saying everybody will hear it exactly the same way, so take it as a single data point (or if you want, with a grain of salt) :wink:

Sep 14, 2019 at 7:17 AM Post #280 of 6,983
I would say so based on what I'm hearing now while listening with U18t, Solaris, and Andro. But I wouldn't call it cold-analytical, but rather neutral-analytical. Also, please keep in mind, I got about 30hrs of combined burn in and listening time so far, thus not sure if anything will change with more mileage. Another thing, many times I run into a situation where people have a slightly different definition of the sound, thus I would prefer to say DX160 sounds more analytical relative to DX220 with a stock amp1mk2, while DX220 mids/ovcals sound a little warmer/thicker in comparison. Furthermore, I keep coming back to DX160 vs LPGT where they have a lot of resemblance in tonality.

Not saying everybody will hear it exactly the same way, so take it as a single data point (or if you want, with a grain of salt) :wink:

So its more like this DAP makes you listen to music rather than puts you into music (lets you dive into it like Pono Player?)

Sep 14, 2019 at 7:34 AM Post #281 of 6,983

dx160.jpg

Not discounting there could be a battery problem with a first production batch of DX160, so your feedback is very important and I hope you let iBasso know about it; I'm sure Paul is reading this thread as well. I can't speak for iBasso, obviously, but I can tell you with certainty that 1-2% battery drain per minute you mentioned before doesn't sound right. Yes, playing DSD files will drain more battery. Also, considering you mentioned before that you noticed 1-2% of drain per min, but above you said 15% of drain per hour. So, did it improve? Maybe after a few charge/discharge cycles while battery is self-calibrating? I'm doing full discharge test now, playing 4.4mm bal with FLAC in a loop. Will also do another test later with DSD files. I'm curious now.

Another thing to keep in mind, for those who remember DX200 release. It was iBasso big new release, they started globally fulfilling the orders, and... discovered a ghost screen problem affecting some of the early units. I'm sure it was not a pretty cost out of their pocket to replace it globally. In my case since I was also affected, I just asked them for a new display touch screen assembly and replaced it myself (my tear-down DIY review lol!!!). So, perhaps that's one of the reasons they are releasing DX160 in Asia first, to get the feedback before going with a global release. DX220 had similarities to previous DX200/DX150 range, it was safer to release it globally, but DX160 is an all new beast. Who knows, maybe there are some isolated battery issues. Thus, provide your feedback to them ASAP so they can catch it early on. It's a lot of easier to do local China mainland swap then do it internationally.

Sep 14, 2019 at 7:47 AM Post #282 of 6,983
So its more like this DAP makes you listen to music rather than puts you into music (lets you dive into it like Pono Player?)

That will depend on your sound preference and also on sound sig of IEMs/headphones you pairing your source with. If you have warmer signature earphones/headphones, a neutral-analytical source can open them up with more revealing details, vs pairing up the same earphones/headphones with a warmer source can make them sound more congested. That's advantage of modular design of DX220 where you can fine-tune the sound coloring by swapping amp modules. All comes down to pair up synergy.

Sep 14, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #283 of 6,983
That will depend on your sound preference and also on sound sig of IEMs/headphones you pairing your source with. If you have warmer signature earphones/headphones, a neutral-analytical source can open them up with more revealing details, vs pairing up the same earphones/headphones with a warmer source can make them sound more congested. That's advantage of modular design of DX220 where you can fine-tune the sound coloring by swapping amp modules. All comes down to pair up synergy.

Okay, ill wait for other impressions. At the moment i have the impression this Player will sound boring to me (like lots of players do).

Sep 14, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #284 of 6,983
Okay, ill wait for other impressions. At the moment i have the impression this Player will sound boring to me (like lots of players do).

Just for the refence, which player do you find not "boring"? If you want something warm and musical, this one is not for you. But like I said, all is a matter of a personal preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back