iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Jan 27, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #2,461 of 6,983
From one reviewer the noise seems to be present only at the unbalanced output using sensitive earphones. Is this largely true?
Possibly. From what I read you can also make it inaudible by using an IEmatch on the unbalanced output. Both are no options for me as I like unbalanced as well as the super low OI of the DAP. Also both workarounds will result in battery draining faster.

Jan 27, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #2,462 of 6,983
Possibly. From what I read you can also make it inaudible by using an IEmatch on the unbalanced output. Both are no options for me as I like unbalanced as well as the super low OI of the DAP. Also both workarounds will result in battery draining faster.
I would try oriolus ba300s ? If you want external amping and also tubes

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #2,463 of 6,983
Hello guys a question, is it normal for me to have a file in Flac 24 bits 96khz, and to have Mp3 files and without changing the volume the Mp3 gives higher for example, is this normal? It should not be the other way around since Flac has more quality, the two files to be produced through Mango.

Jan 27, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #2,464 of 6,983
Hello guys a question, is it normal for me to have a file in Flac 24 bits 96khz, and to have Mp3 files and without changing the volume the Mp3 gives higher for example, is this normal? It should not be the other way around since Flac has more quality, the two files to be produced through Mango.
Thats the usual behaviour actually so its very normal.

Jan 27, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #2,466 of 6,983
New toy!

image.jpg

Jan 27, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #2,467 of 6,983
Has anyone got the DX160 working losslessly over WiFi with Roon? I can enable the device in Roon and stream to it (it’s a little flaky on the connection but the latest firmware seems to have helped). However, when I check the Roon audio path, it’s not lossless and the description given is that it’s playing as “Aaudio”. I have no idea what that means.

Jan 27, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #2,468 of 6,983
Has anyone got the DX160 working losslessly over WiFi with Roon? I can enable the device in Roon and stream to it (it’s a little flaky on the connection but the latest firmware seems to have helped). However, when I check the Roon audio path, it’s not lossless and the description given is that it’s playing as “Aaudio”. I have no idea what that means.

This is the first I've heard that it can work as a roon endpoint. How did you enable the device in Roon?

Jan 27, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #2,470 of 6,983
Damn this DAP is good, $399 for this quality of an all around package is by far the best value I have seen in any DAP.

Overall I actually prefer the usability of this over the DX220, it’s slightly snappier and much more pocket friendly and I feel like I’m sacrificing VERY little in SQ.
A review comparing it with its big bro DX 220 gave similar conclusion to yours. From what he said, the DX220 seems more analytical and more on fine details but DX160 is warmer and may be more musical despite less transparency and narrower sound stage. Good enough for me, hence I got Dx160 too. It is indeed not analytical. I am skeptical of musicality of ESS DAC chips which is used by DX220 as they tend to be over analytical and cool. Cirus logic seems more musical, at least also my Sony SACD is also based on it and sounds fine.

Jan 27, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #2,471 of 6,983
A review comparing it with its big bro DX 220 gave similar conclusion to yours. From what he said, the DX220 seems more analytical and more on fine details but DX160 is warmer and may be more musical despite less transparency and narrower sound stage. Good enough for me, hence I got Dx160 too. It is indeed not analytical. I am skeptical of musicality of ESS DAC chips which is used by DX220 as they tend to be over analytical and cool. Cirus logic seems more musical, at least also my Sony SACD is also based on it and sounds fine.

I haven’t A/B’d yet but soundstage expansion is great on the 160, don’t even feel like it’s more narrow it at all compared to the DX220. Just a testament to how well made ibasso products are. I’m also having no Wifi issues which I’ve seen reported all over here. Won’t ever use Bluetooth so I have no idea about that though.

Jan 27, 2020 at 11:42 PM Post #2,472 of 6,983
ISN C16
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32972927351.html

ISN S16
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32970249542.html?spm=2114.12010615.8148356.1.63e15339JidxWJ

I'm using the C16 as I want more low end extension.

Take a look. They are both sturdy cables. very good made won't break your bank. The sound with DX160 is very enjoyable. Give both at least 50-80 hrs to run in.

Cheers,
Billy
Now does the T800 actually come with a stock cable ? I presume would be unbalanced. So I would need to get a balanced cable anyway. ISN offers Silver plated as well as hybrid silver plated/copper. I read from a review that T800 may work better with just pure copper, as per the manufacturer. Now is the silver plated going to be brighter and faster sounding? But perhaps copper remains more balanced, neutral and warm ? Silver plate may not be needed for speaker/ear phone cables since they are DC and skin effect is not as much, unlike AC which has stronger skin effect I think.

Jan 28, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #2,473 of 6,983

Was that my review? :)

Just curious. If it *was* my review, then it's nice to know people are reading and took some value from it!
And if it was someone else's review, it's nice to know that other people are hearing the same things I did :p

Jan 28, 2020 at 4:49 AM Post #2,474 of 6,983
This is the first I've heard that it can work as a roon endpoint. How did you enable the device in Roon?

Just connected to the same wifi network (2.4Ghz is too slow for this device, but 5Ghz works better after the firmware update). Once on the network, I opened Roon and it was already enabled - I didn't really need to do much. I went into the device setup, set the DX160 as an MQA decoder and renderer and that's it.
Still getting the weird "Aaudio" output message, but it works just fine. Glitchy at times, but I find that even with the latest iPad Air and my V20, so I think wireless in general can sometimes be a bit fidgety with Roon.

Jan 28, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #2,475 of 6,983
I have KZ AS10, tinaudio T2, KZ ZSX, KZ ZSE, KZ ZS5 v1, TRN V20. Audiosense T180. BLON-03.
Audeze Sine, OKCSC ZX1, Takstar Pro, Msur N650.

I don't keep track which is sensitive or not. All do not have interference.

Campfire andromeda.....no noise or interference infact the noise floor is one of the selling points of this dap for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back