iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Jan 22, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #2,401 of 6,983
What do you think is the "purest" way
DX160 has a "helper" chip by Savitech, connected to Rockchip SoC via internal USB interface. Just like XMOS in the previous DAPs starting from DX80. The same chip accepts external USB connection in USB DAC mode, by the way.

So, the shortest way from an audio player software to the DAC goes via USB bus, which can be activated by my USB Audio application, from apps that support USB DACs directly (HibyMusic, Neutron, UAPP).

The second is Mango player in so called Mango OS. It talks directly to ALSA, Linux audio driver. When Savitech/XMOS chip is involved (PCM above 192kHz and DSD), Mango OS uses ALSA/Linux UAC kernel driver, which makes the path longer than direct talking to the USB bus. For PCM below and including 192kHz, the audio data is sent to the DAC via SoC's I2S bus, which may be argued as shorter path than USB -> Savitech/XMOS -> DAC, but Savitech/XMOS is a chip, dedicated for audio, unlike the SoC. At least jitter level must be better via Savitech/XMOS than via SoC's I2S.

The third place is taken by Mango Player/Neutron/UAPP, which use not so well documented Android sound path, talking to AudioTrack layer directly (meaning, not via Java API, but via C++ code). This path adds 3 steps: AudioTrack interface, then inter-process communication to the media server, then Android HAL to ALSA.

Please note: all the ways listed above transfer audio data from an app to the DAC as bit perfect! Only the app (the audio player) itself may change the initial sound, and only under end user control (via built-in EQ, for instance). Any claims that there are "software filters/libraries" in between are wrong.

Then any other app that uses the usual Java AudioTrack API, which adds one more layer to the previous path. For instance, HibyMusic uses it, but my build uses iBasso's API extension to play bit perfect PCM up to 32/384. Any other app has to use standard Android API with all its restrictions.
to listen?
I strongly suggest to listen music rather than apps and interfaces, using the app that serves your needs :) The real difference is so subtle, that an average brain should be able to filter it out. Just like it filters out much bigger differences that we continuously face, but just don't take into account.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #2,402 of 6,983
this difference is not in the details, but in the nuances ...

Jan 22, 2020 at 7:53 AM Post #2,403 of 6,983
Jan 22, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #2,406 of 6,983
Jan 22, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #2,407 of 6,983
I am new to this whole update process, and I have a couple of questions; 1) I see a new OTA firmware update on iBasso's Facebook page. My DX160 is still in the box, do I need to do all previous iBasso updates on my new factory fresh model, or is the latest inclusive of old ones and thus comprehensive? 2) I think I am interested in doing Lurker00's updates as well, the same question I suppose, however, if I do iBasso first will I have the problem of reverting back to initial firmware that Lurker0 refers to?
@ 72 I already am losing my concentrative abilities so these tasks feel difficult to me, not being very tech-savvy, but I am hungry for good sounding music with a lot of choice as my iPod 160 GB Classic is full and so is my computer hard-drive. Thanks for help and direction.

Jan 22, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #2,408 of 6,983
Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #2,409 of 6,983
I am new to this whole update process, and I have a couple of questions; 1) I see a new OTA firmware update on iBasso's Facebook page. My DX160 is still in the box, do I need to do all previous iBasso updates on my new factory fresh model, or is the latest inclusive of old ones and thus comprehensive? 2) I think I am interested in doing Lurker00's updates as well, the same question I suppose, however, if I do iBasso first will I have the problem of reverting back to initial firmware that Lurker0 refers to?
@ 72 I already am losing my concentrative abilities so these tasks feel difficult to me, not being very tech-savvy, but I am hungry for good sounding music with a lot of choice as my iPod 160 GB Classic is full and so is my computer hard-drive. Thanks for help and direction.

Its enough do install latest. You can do it through device or download file on website.
And always first install official firmware than Lurkers addon for that firmware version.

Lurkers latest version is 1.26 - release for official firmware 1.04.150.
https://github.com/Lurker00/DX160-Firmware-Add-on/releases/tag/v1.26

And respect for kicking @72!
:)

Jan 22, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #2,410 of 6,983

When I first unboxed it, it had like two updates they were downloaded online. The process is very easy. Open de update app and let the app search online.
When it's downloaded you can update.
Strange enough it didn't jump straight to the newest one. So had to update twice before the latest version.
If the latest version is installed jump to https://github.com/Lurker00/DX160-Firmware-Add-on/releases

And read the instructions. It's basically downloading the zip. Open it and put the files in a folder. Open android tool.exe. Hold the play button and plug in the USB in the port. Press run in the tool and done.

There are instructions on lurker his github.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #2,411 of 6,983
I have confirmed that the 1.05.150 iBasso firmware update has fixed the inconsistent Power Delivery charging. Prior to the update the DX160 was only fast charging off of some Power Delivery wall chargers (The OEM Google Pixel chargers were not fast charging). The DX160 now fast charges off of all of the Quick Charge and Power Deliver chargers I own. Thanks for fixing this iBasso!

Jan 22, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #2,412 of 6,983
Jan 22, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #2,413 of 6,983

Users who are viewing this thread

Back