iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Jan 15, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #2,311 of 6,983
I am using V40, SQ is much an improvement over my earlier DAP AK100II. LG sound much more layered with better separation, do you think it worth investing $400 for this DAP, or used continue using LG

I would say it depends on your usage. On the go with more easy to drive iems or headphones I don't think you will hear a difference. If you listen at home and analyses every note in the music probably yes.

Your ier-z1r needs some juice, maybe that would benefit with a proper dap?

Jan 15, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #2,312 of 6,983
I am using V40, SQ is much an improvement over my earlier DAP AK100II. LG sound much more layered with better separation, do you think it worth investing $400 for this DAP, or used continue using LG

If I were you I wouldn't even though you will probably notice a small improvement in SQ. The interface of the DX160 is quite a bit clunkier then an LG V40. Go Ibasso if you have some harder to drive headphones you want to use it for.

Jan 15, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #2,313 of 6,983
If I were you I wouldn't even though you will probably notice a small improvement in SQ. The interface of the DX160 is quite a bit clunkier then an LG V40. Go Ibasso if you have some harder to drive headphones you want to use it for.
The DX160 clunky? Well not for me and I use it all the time and compared to the iPhone 11 Max, UI, the DX160 does great. It is fast and responsive and the sound impressive and enjoyable. Not clunky at all, IMO.

Jan 15, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #2,314 of 6,983
The DX160 clunky? Well not for me and I use it all the time and compared to the iPhone 11 Max, UI, the DX160 does great. It is fast and responsive and the sound impressive and enjoyable. Not clunky at all, IMO.

Interesting. Compared to my Pixel 2 which is almost 3 years old yes. It has a delay on the touch screen when swiping, and there are longer load times within spotify. I get that the Pixel 2 has a Snapdragon 835, which is a much faster CPU. The LG V40 has a Snapdragon 845, which destroys the CPU in the Ibasso DX160. Just want to warn him that the interface won't be quite as smooth and responsive.

Jan 15, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #2,315 of 6,983

I have the V30. I had two DX160's. The first had the best sound I have ever heard on a dap. I would say 20% better than the V30 and the FiiO M9, although the V30 is excellent. As long as you are not bothered about substandard Bluetooth then the DX160 is definitely a sound upgrade. I'm still waiting for one with reasonable BT (probably never), but the SQ is undeniably exceptional on the DX160.

Jan 15, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #2,316 of 6,983
Don't think we have a separate AM05 thread, unless I missed it? But either way, I thought some might enjoy iBasso AM05 review I just posted, which btw pairs up great with DX160.

ibasso-am05-29.jpg

And some sexy close ups.

ibasso-am05-14.jpg ibasso-am05-18.jpg ibasso-am05-21.jpg ibasso-am05-22.jpg

Jan 16, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #2,317 of 6,983
If i would have to mention cons....

USB-C on top of the device.
And when wearing polarized sunglasses you won't see a thing.

"problems" with WiFi speeds are solved by only using 5 ghz band. Although it had 1 or two bars of wifi on 2.4ghz the same is on 5ghz. It's different on my smartphone it's different strength.

I made a guest account on my router with only 5ghz specially for the DX160.

Still its a great bang for the buck...

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #2,320 of 6,983
How would you guys compare the DX160 SQ for headphones like the HD650s versus the OPPO HA-2SE? I am looking for a DAP to replace the iphone 11 pro, but hoping the dx160 SQ is at least similar, if not better than the ha2se. Would be likely upgrading to planars in the near future such as the Aryas so the purchase would factor driving those sufficiently as well hopefully.

Jan 16, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #2,321 of 6,983
How would you guys compare the DX160 SQ for headphones like the HD650s versus the OPPO HA-2SE? I am looking for a DAP to replace the iphone 11 pro, but hoping the dx160 SQ is at least similar, if not better than the ha2se. Would be likely upgrading to planars in the near future such as the Aryas so the purchase would factor driving those sufficiently as well hopefully.

That's a high impedence headphone. The Arya will also need some juice since it's sensitivity is pretty low. You would probably be ok with both headphones using the balanced output of the Ibasso on high gain. Sound quality should be better honestly.

If you need more grunt maybe the Hiby R6 Pro.

I have an R6 Pro i'm thinking about selling for $400. It's definitely more muscular sounding than the Ibasso DX160, but it's a bit heavy for my taste.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #2,322 of 6,983
HI, joining you all here. I just got myself a first DAP basso 160 and I was unable to take out the micro SD chip as it won't bounce back out. I tried eject button which does nothing. Is this normal ? I had to use a tape to stick to it through the crack and then pulled it out. Now I have the tape attached to the micro SD so I can pull it out easily.

Jan 16, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #2,323 of 6,983
HI, joining you all here. I just got myself a first DAP basso 160 and I was unable to take out the micro SD chip as it won't bounce back out. I tried eject button which does nothing. Is this normal ? I had to use a tape to stick to it through the crack and then pulled it out. Now I have the tape attached to the micro SD so I can pull it out easily.
You have to push it in to get it to eject. there is nothing on the player to eject the card, it is manual by pushing the card in far enough so that it releases the card and the spring pushes it out.

Jan 17, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #2,324 of 6,983
You have to push it in to get it to eject. there is nothing on the player to eject the card, it is manual by pushing the card in far enough so that it releases the card and the spring pushes it out.
Well, I have been trying to push deeper but it won't move further in, nor would it bounce back. Could it be the micro SD is too thick ? I have a Samsung EVO 256.

Jan 17, 2020 at 12:59 AM Post #2,325 of 6,983
Well, I have been trying to push deeper but it won't move further in, nor would it bounce back. Could it be the micro SD is too thick ? I have a Samsung EVO 256.

Is the card more or less flush with the casing?

Its indeed a bit hard to push it deep enough. I always push it in with another sd card. To push it as deep as possible. After the click I release it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back