iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Nov 11, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #1,441 of 6,983
It's a shame these issues are happening as sonically wired and visually the Dx160 is supreme.

What other choices are there don't like the M11 Shanling M6 unknown quantity etc
THIS !

the only thing killed this dap for me is just that wifi screeching noise,, i really liked the tonality of this dap and how it looks but till u turn on the wifi,, welcome to laserjet printer simulator.

@abit above : true, imo it sounds better than zx300. i also use zx300 as my daily dap

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #1,443 of 6,983
Did you really dislike the Hiby R5?

No, not at all it's a great dap. But I like the sound better on dx160 :wink: The Sony is just smaller, I'm sure the r5 sounds better than it.

I like the looks and size of the Sony, plus I do like Sony- It's kind of a nostalgia thing. But they're just outclassed by other manufacturers when it comes to price and value ratio.

No you'd be nuts to get a nw a105 over r5 practically speaking.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #1,444 of 6,983
THIS !

the only thing killed this dap for me is just that wifi screeching noise,, i really liked the tonality of this dap and how it looks but till u turn on the wifi,, welcome to laserjet printer simulator.

@abit above : true, imo it sounds better than zx300. i also use zx300 as my daily dap
Did you try different channels in the WiFi? I have found this effective on my computers and other equipment when there was an issue.

Nov 11, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #1,445 of 6,983
I dont understand how can you guys clearly say zx300 sounds worse. The sound signature is so different for me its impossible to compare. You can say that dx160 has clearly better treble and sweeter mids but there is no doubt in my mind that zx300 has much better subbass extension and texture. Also zx300 renders soundstage completely differently and while it is definitelly smaller than dx160 soundstage, everything is smaller in the image of sony so there is bigger space in between the instruments and stage is less crowded.
Anyway I am happy I have both because their sounds complement each other very well, but while dx160 has overal technically cleaner sound there clearly are aspects where zx does better.

Nov 11, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #1,446 of 6,983
THIS !

I wonder what colour DAP do the people with the wifi noise have? All of them Blue? :)

Nov 11, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #1,448 of 6,983
Black here,

Mainly Bluetooth issue but did have WiFi noise on certain channels. But Bluetooth was main protagonist.
Thanks... so are you saying some channels the wifi noise doesn't exist?

Nov 11, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #1,450 of 6,983
I dont understand how can you guys clearly say zx300 sounds worse. The sound signature is so different for me its impossible to compare. You can say that dx160 has clearly better treble and sweeter mids but there is no doubt in my mind that zx300 has much better subbass extension and texture. Also zx300 renders soundstage completely differently and while it is definitelly smaller than dx160 soundstage, everything is smaller in the image of sony so there is bigger space in between the instruments and stage is less crowded.
Anyway I am happy I have both because their sounds complement each other very well, but while dx160 has overal technically cleaner sound there clearly are aspects where zx does better.

I said the dx160 sounds better yes. I say that because for me it's true. I find the sub bass just as good quality wise if not better, but more neutral. I find the layering and space between instruments vast with the dx160.

I'm using neutron with balanced out. Plus if I want a little heavier weighted lows like the zx300 I can use the peq or mseb. Different strokes for different folks.

I mean when one says better, that's a subjective- personally opinion. They mean better to them. Everybody favours different sound signatures and has different levels of hearing accuity and ear shapes. There is no better or best, not objectively. Only measurements there.

And of course what headphones and music you're testing with, gain setting, se out or balanced out etc etc

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #1,451 of 6,983
I said the dx160 sounds better yes. I say that because for me it's true. I find the sub bass just as good quality wise if not better, but more neutral. I find the layering and space between instruments vast with the dx160.

I'm using neutron with balanced out. Plus if I want a little heavier weighted lows like the zx300 I can use the peq or mseb. Different strokes for different folks.

I mean when one says better, that's a subjective- personally opinion. They mean better to them. Everybody favours different sound signatures and has different levels of hearing accuity and ear shapes. There is no better or best, not objectively. Only measurements there.

I was not objecting people stating opinions, I just thought it was not that straightforward and I was wondering how everybody easily concludes one is better than the other.

Anyway, overall I too like dx160 more. As for subbass, no matter what I do with eq, it never has the texture of sony, because with dx the bass is scattered all over my head whereas on zx it is more concentrated on one pleace hence easier to detect details.

Nov 11, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #1,452 of 6,983
Hello, Paul. Love the player BTW. Was just wondering if a "recently played" search option might be available in the player at some point? I find this very convenient. Also, are there any plans to add the option to use the album artwork as a background in the lower half of the "now playing"screen? This kind of gives a different theme fill as the album artwork is used, sort of in a blurred out fashion and give a slightly different feel with each album cover used. Still love the player regardless. Just wondering.

I have forwarded this to our software team. I am not sure what they can do but have given your request to them.

okay the dx160 just arrived, and guess what?
yes it has screeching noise, its like processor EMi noise. tested with Campfire Audio IO 3.5mm single ended. standby on the home screen without doing anything, connected to wifi.

and if any of you guys wondering about the stripped pattern on the touch sensor, yes my unit has the stripped pattern too.

on the plus side the sound quality of this dap is better or at least on par with my zx300

update :

with wifi off, i only hear little hissing noise using the CA IO, when its connected to wifi tho, it just like old laserjet printer sound :disappointed_relieved:

Have you tried a braided cable or a shielded one? What do you mean by "stripped pattern" on the screen?

Hey Paul, what have you people done with the eq on the latest update? The 16khz slider seems to invoke a change across 500hz to 3khz instead of 16khz! I haven’t tried the rest of the bands as I don’t normally Eq.

This will be fixed.

Update for Amazon music, but still not displaying the right capability of dx160. The r5 had the same problem that was fixed by an update from hiby.

We have worked out a solution to this. It will be available very soon.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Nov 11, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #1,453 of 6,983
I was not objecting people stating opinions, I just thought it was not that straightforward and I was wondering how everybody easily concludes one is better than the other.

Anyway, overall I too like dx160 more. As for subbass, no matter what I do with eq, it never has the texture of sony, because with dx the bass is scattered all over my head whereas on zx it is more concentrated on one pleace hence easier to detect details.

Yes of course :) I was just saying it's all personal and subjective. As for the bass I've got no problem pinpointing it in the song at all. What audio player are you using? Are you using balanced?

I actually find the stage of the zx300 (balanced) to almost have a reverb effect, which I never noticed before but upon comparing with other players I have. Almost like a dsp effect is on.

This was with direct sound, so that should be impossible. Also my iems are a bit bassy anyways so might be synergy than 300.

I do think the zx300A is still one of the best non android daps money can buy.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #1,455 of 6,983
Yes of course :) I was just saying it's all personal and subjective. As for the bass I've got no problem pinpointing it in the song at all. What audio player are you using? Are you using balanced?

I actually find the stage of the zx300 (balanced) to almost have a reverb effect, which I never noticed before but upon comparing with other players I have. Almost like a dsp effect is on.

This was with direct sound, so that should be impossible. Also my iems are a bit bassy anyways so might be synergy than 300.

I do think the zx300A is still one of the best non android daps money can buy.

I am using Balanced with mango player, because I have this superficial belief that the stock players have the best sound. I checked UAPP now and the bass seems clearer with it actually and imaging gets better also, with the cost of treble becoming harsher.

Weird thing with zx300 is that Balanced sound changes even if you toggle high gain on SE. I find the subbass to be clear and textured on BA only when high gain is off on SE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back