iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Nov 10, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #1,411 of 6,983
We are working with the BT chip manufacturer but most DX160s work fine, out to 20 to 30 feet, depending upon walls, people etc. We use Class 2 BT, which is rated at 33 feet but often doesn't get quite there. You could go and compare the one you have to another unit and see if you get better results.

@Paul - iBasso

Ah okay so I'd probably say I have a defective unit as less than 1 foot away and minimal movement causes audio cutouts.
The same exact pairings don't happen with mobile or other daps. Purely for a fair test.

Will this be firmware addressed or a case of exchanging out as suggested above?
Thank you again

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #1,412 of 6,983
@Paul - iBasso

Ah okay so I'd probably say I have a defective unit as less than 1 foot away and minimal movement causes audio cutouts.
The same exact pairings don't happen with mobile or other daps. Purely for a fair test.

Thank you again
I would see about a replacement. The BT operation of the DX160 will not be as good as many phones etc. I will state that. Its strong point is it was designed a a music player with line or phone out. Sure it would be good to have excellent BT and it wasn't our intent to not have great BT but this is what we have. In most cases it works within the Class 2 range or a little less.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Nov 10, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #1,413 of 6,983

Thank you again

Mine is the same, but I don't really care anymore. But if course it still should work, I just won't use it with BT as it's too big for active use, when I can use ap80. Hopefully they get it sorted out. Plus the hardware buttons working with other apps, and being able to customize the UI in mango.

Plus I'm afraid if I exchanged it I might get one with the dreaded scratching noise problem, which would be worse as I do use wifi.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #1,414 of 6,983
I would see about a replacement. The BT operation of the DX160 will not be as good as many phones etc. I will state that. Its strong point is it was designed a a music player with line or phone out. Sure it would be good to have excellent BT and it wasn't our intent to not have great BT but this is what we have. In most cases it works within the Class 2 range or a little less.

@Paul - iBasso

Thank you for swift responses I appreciate that BT maybe be not as good as mobiles etc.
But it should work better than the Dx160 I have currently.
On a positive note the sound wired is exceptional as is build and screen so thank you for that.

Nov 10, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #1,415 of 6,983
Mine is the same, but I don't really care anymore. But if course it still should work, I just won't use it with BT as it's too big for active use, when I can use ap80. Hopefully they get it sorted out. Plus the hardware buttons working with other apps, and being able to customize the UI in mango.

Mines jack of all trades to be honest as I stream alot whilst using wired and Bluetooth.
It is a beautiful player and sounds excellent much better than the R5 and M11 imo both 3.5 mm and 4.4mm

Nov 10, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #1,416 of 6,983
Mines jack of all trades to be honest as I stream alot whilst using wired and Bluetooth.
It is a beautiful player and sounds excellent much better than the R5 and M11 imo both 3.5 mm and 4.4mm

Oh I understand completely. I've only got a cheap pair of Sony headband bluetooth I use for active use. If I didn't have ap80, I'd be sending mine back. Oh yes and I agree with the sound, it's wonderful one of the best I've ever listened to and that includes some flagships.

As I said before I personally like the tone more than dx220.

Nov 10, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #1,417 of 6,983
Oh I understand completely. I've only got a cheap pair of Sony headband bluetooth I use for active use. If I didn't have ap80, I'd be sending mine back. Oh yes and I agree with the sound, it's wonderful one of the best I've ever listened to and that includes some flagships.

As I said before I personally like the tone more than dx220.

The sound is very intoxicating really well balanced and smooth with lots of detail.
For the money it's my favourite dap bar perhaps the M5s audio wise but the streaming of Spotify and Amazon etc make the dx160 the clear winner and the Dx160 screen also.

Nov 10, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #1,418 of 6,983
On another subject, I tried my Plantronics Backbeat Pro SE with the devices bluetooth and the only time it really cut out on me was when I went to another room and the signal had to pass through 3 interior walls. It cut out very briefly so I will have to try the bluetooth connection some more.

Well I tried the bluetooth connection again today with my Plantronics headphones and a pair of Bose Soundwear. In my unfinished basement with no walls I can get a range of around 20 feet before the connection starts to cut out. Upstairs with the DX160 in the office I can get about 10-12 feet away before it cuts out. That is with one wall for the signal to penetrate.

Nov 10, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #1,419 of 6,983
Well I tried the bluetooth connection again today with my Plantronics headphones and a pair of Bose Soundwear. In my unfinished basement with no walls I can get a range of around 20 feet before the connection starts to cut out. Upstairs with the DX160 in the office I can get about 10-12 feet away before it cuts out. That is with one wall for the signal to penetrate.

Cheers fancy swapping it seems from what you say some are defective with BT thanks for trying yours.

Nov 10, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #1,420 of 6,983
The sound is very intoxicating really well balanced and smooth with lots of detail.
For the money it's my favourite dap bar perhaps the M5s audio wise but the streaming of Spotify and Amazon etc make the dx160 the clear winner and the Dx160 screen also.

M5s a little too warm for me :wink:

Nov 10, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #1,421 of 6,983
We are working with the BT chip manufacturer but most DX160s work fine, out to 20 to 30 feet, depending upon walls, people etc. We use Class 2 BT, which is rated at 33 feet but often doesn't get quite there. You could go and compare the one you have to another unit and see if you get better results.

Paul, I may be wrong, but I have seen some test data showing that if you use Bluetooth with LDAC 990 vs SBC, then you need a 15 to 20 db stronger signal to prevent drop out.
- So, If the "Class 2 BT @ 33 feet" is using SBC (Or ACC or LDAC 330), then anyone trying LDAC @ 990 for best quality should expect shorter range without dropouts.
- I get better bluetooth range from my phone than from any DAP I have. Don't have the DX160 yet, but with other DAPs, I can usually get 10-20 feet with LDAC 990, no walls. LDAC 660 is more stable a bit further.
- Another bluetooth "problem", with my other DAPs, is that the human body (water) can reduce a bluetooth signal. If I have DAP in my back pocket, and bluetooth receiver (Like ES100) in front shirt pocket, I will get some drop out with LDAC 990. Signal reduction going through me. (160lbs 5'10")
- If the bluetooth from any DAP can't keep a stable connection @ 3-6 foot away, (even with Best quality LDAC), that would seem like a problem to me. (Design? Mfr? Firmware?)

REF: See "Bluetooth CODEC Connection Quality" graph near bottom of this linked article. https://www.soundguys.com/ldac-ultimate-bluetooth-guide-20026/

Note, I have ZERO expertise in bluetooth or electronics... Just interpreting what I read.

Nov 11, 2019 at 12:19 AM Post #1,424 of 6,983
just ordered the dx160, and come across this thread saying there is some screeching noise.. okay instant anxiety attacks.
I use it every day, Wifi, line out and phone out. No noise, totally quiet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back