iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Oct 20, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #617 of 6,983
I’ve already seen that review. I’m waiting for my DX160 that is in late. I’ve already preordered it, but I was thinking about DAPs that could challenge with it. In these days of waiting (and this waiting is killing me:grin:) a doubt about color has grown up... blue or black? I chose the blue one but I could still change my choice.

Oct 20, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #618 of 6,983
I’ve already seen that review. I’m waiting for my DX160 that is in late. I’ve already preordered it, but I was thinking about DAPs that could challenge with it. In these days of waiting (and this waiting is killing me:grin:) a doubt about color has grown up... blue or black? I chose the blue one but I could still change my choice.

Then you should look at the Hiby R5 and R3 Pro, Shanling M6, FiiO M11, Opus#1S, A&norma SR15...

About the color, I like the silver a bit more, but also the black one. Not a big fan of bright colors in DAPs.

Oct 20, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #619 of 6,983
Sorry, I don't have Tidal subscription. Just happens to be in a middle of SP2000 review and A&K unit came straight from one of the audio shows where it was loaded with a ton of test tracks. Noticed they had a separate MQA Flac folder so I put it to use :wink:

Tidal by itself can't fully unfold mqa, it only does partial limited sw decoding. When a particular device is hw-certified, it will do full unfolding/decoding to original sampling rate and bit depth. And that's what I verified, playing these files on sp2k and dx160 where they match full bit depth and sampling rate. Tried the same on N6ii, and sampling rate was reduced.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #620 of 6,983
Sorry, I don't have Tidal subscription. Just happens to be in a middle of SP2000 review and A&K unit came straight from one of the audio shows where it was loaded with a ton of test tracks. Noticed they had a separate MQA Flac folder so I put it to use :wink:

Tidal by itself can't fully unfold mqa, it only does partial limited sw decoding. When a particular device is hw-certified, it will do full unfolding/decoding to original sampling rate and bit depth. And that's what I verified, playing these files on sp2k and dx160 where they match full bit depth and sampling rate. Tried the same on N6ii, and sampling rate was reduced.
Thanks @twister6 I'm not fully into what is involved into MQA and what are the folds and unfolds, so I guess I will have to have a read.

Btw, how would be the pairing with the Fiio FH7? Or it would be better with the it04??

Oct 21, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #622 of 6,983
Oct 21, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #625 of 6,983
Some say that dx160 have a very wide soundstage and others say its just normal. Im confused. Is it due to the pairing? Still waiting for mine which would arrive by the end of this month
I think it depends more on the IEM/Headphones and from human perception.
But considering what I was listening to, a medium-sized virtual space, I heard wider))) but it is lining up in depth / width. This is normal, realy not bad, but less than DX220/200.

Oct 21, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #626 of 6,983

This is one sexy, awesome-sounding powerhouse.

Listening to Alice In Chains Unplugged, the HIFIMAN Sundara is good and loud at only 59 volume. And these are difficult to drive cans!

Did I mention it sounds sooo good? :)

Hey @PinkyPowers, please could you please post more pictures of this blue dx160? Many thanks!

Oct 21, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #628 of 6,983
Oct 21, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #629 of 6,983
Oct 21, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #630 of 6,983

Users who are viewing this thread

Back