iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Nov 7, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #1,351 of 6,983
It's a long one, but it covers a TON of info about DX160, including lots of pair up examples and comparison with many other DAPs. Enjoy the read!

Now that's a thorough and very comprehensive review. I agree with the comparisons.

I do however think the treble is a little better on 160 than r5 :) Maybe it's the positioning or layering or dynamics but it seems to jump out just a bit more for me.

My one cent.

So many good daps under 500 bucks, I feel you'd have to spend big bucks to better them. And then that's a marginal improvement anyways.

Nov 7, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #1,352 of 6,983
Now that's a thorough and very comprehensive review. I agree with the comparisons.

I do however think the treble is a little better on 160 than r5 :) Maybe it's the positioning or layering or dynamics but it seems to jump out just a bit more for me.

My one cent.

So many good daps under 500 bucks, I feel you'd have to spend big bucks to better them. And then that's a marginal improvement anyways.

Indeed, once you start to move up in pricing, relative to DX160 performance you have to accept diminishing returns :wink:

Nov 7, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #1,353 of 6,983
I can confirm that Google Play does work via APK pure, but it must be with the new firmware working. YouTube works. For those who want YouTube on the previous firmware if you find a little APK called NewPipe (search on Google on the DX160 it is seperately downloadable ) it is a front end for YouTube that does not need Google Services.

That's interesting to know, because in the past it never worked for me, thus I was relying on Lurker's fw. I would still recommend getting his free ROM, but for those who have jitters about installation, sideloading GP is a good option. Except, nobody can guarantee it will always work in the future since Google likes to change things with every release.

Nov 7, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #1,354 of 6,983
@Paul - iBasso

So I've just received a iFi Zen Blue receiver. For those still into their HiFi systems there are analogue as well as digital outputs. It supports LDAC, AAC, APTX, APTX HD, and HWA. Most of you will probably be aware that their are few LDAC receivers that will connect by anague RCA cables to an Amplifier so this is a pretty unique receiver. So using it with the iBasso DX160 it holds a signal for a few minutes, sounds really fantastic with LDAC through my Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speakers, but then suddenly drops the connection. I am hoping this could be solved in software because all my other LDAC transmitters (Samsung S9+, FiiO M6, FiiO M9, and other LDAC transmitters) to the iFi Zen Blue hold the signal, but the DX160 is strong for a while (as long as it's not moved consistently) and then suddenly without warning drops the connection. So is this hardware or software?

Nov 7, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #1,355 of 6,983
@Paul - iBasso can you confirm that the DX160 has a gyroscope for screen rotation? Do any of your other DAPs have this? And if it does, why is it not highlighted as a feature. It definitely would be unique among DAPs as fas as I know!
It has a G technology, that changes the direction of the screen, A G sensor is commonly referred to as an accelerometer. We have used this for a long time.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Nov 7, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #1,356 of 6,983
I was recently provided loaner units from headphones.com over the iBasso DAP lineup (and IEMs too) posted a review on the iBasso DAPs here: https://www.headphones.com/blogs/news/ibasso-daps-dx220-dx160-dx150-comparisons

While the DX220 was probably the best sounding and upgradable DAP, the DX160 ended up being my best value winner and despite just buying a R5. I am now going to buy myself a DX160 too. My main drawbacks on the DX160 are the lack of Play Store and not enjoying Mango Player at all. There's just too much lag between pressing play or skipping tracks and starting a song and even worse if it's a DSD file.

Still, Lurker firmware may get me to enjoy this how I want it, so I look forward to trying the firmware on this and making my own concoction too. I didnt try this on the loaner unit for obvious reasons.

Nov 7, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #1,357 of 6,983
I was recently provided loaner units from headphones.com over the iBasso DAP lineup (and IEMs too) posted a review on the iBasso DAPs here: https://www.headphones.com/blogs/news/ibasso-daps-dx220-dx160-dx150-comparisons

While the DX220 was probably the best sounding and upgradable DAP, the DX160 ended up being my best value winner and despite just buying a R5. I am now going to buy myself a DX160 too. My main drawbacks on the DX160 are the lack of Play Store and not enjoying Mango Player at all. There's just too much lag between pressing play or skipping tracks and starting a song and even worse if it's a DSD file.

Still, Lurker firmware may get me to enjoy this how I want it, so I look forward to trying the firmware on this and making my own concoction too. I didnt try this on the loaner unit for obvious reasons.
I suggest you make sure you are on the latest fw or do a reinstall. I get no lag and only the slightest on DSD, when first accessing the album, and then none after that. People have been using Play Store on the DX160. I haven't but have read it a number of times

Nov 7, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #1,358 of 6,983

Google Play works on the new iBasso firmware.

Nov 7, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #1,359 of 6,983
Nov 7, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #1,360 of 6,983

You need the latest firmware, there's no lag on neutron or hiby- hiby even runs a bit faster then on r5. The pause on mango is intentional in this version. Scrolling through albums is smooth and fast. Oh, and like dharma Steve said, Google play works on the latest firmware.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #1,362 of 6,983
Oh, so it's not on as per firmware and requires to be installed by user.

I have to give back the units this weekend, but will try it when I get my own unit (maybe tomorrow or Saturday).

Nov 7, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #1,364 of 6,983
Oh, so it's not on as per firmware and requires to be installed by user.

I have to give back the units this weekend, but will try it when I get my own unit (maybe tomorrow or Saturday).

Update the firmware and install Google Play from APK pure.

Nov 7, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #1,365 of 6,983
Oh the little bass break in the middle of this song sounds so bad ass. Gives me goosebumps.

20191107_162803.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back