iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Mar 18, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #3,016 of 6,983
Thanks for the info all of you guys.

Any given device does indeed draw only the current it needs and nothing more than that. What's more important is the voltage stability and reliability of the charger.
I use only reputable chargers. My fast charger is an Innergie USB-C ''one for all'' brick. I also have a regular 5v wall charger by anker.
What worried me it was that the temperature was quite high while the unit was charging. Certainly not hot as I mistakenly wrote in the first place but rather lukewarm and since my Note 10 barely raises any temperature while charging, I thought about bringing this to the discussion.

As for the issue with Play Store, the guy I got it from all of a strange hadn't updated the firmare since November so the device was stuck to a very old version. I ran 3 consequent frmware updates until I installed the latest one and all seem to work fine now.

Another observation is that the unit also emits temperature when playing. I wouldn't say it's hot or even warm but it definitely feels it picks up a few degrees when you touch it at its glass backplate.

First impressions are good. The sound is transparent expansive and neutral without being harsh or bright. I don't know what those reviewers were hearing when they classified the DX160 as a warm/warm-ish DAP. It pairs well with headphone signatures with a slightly warm tilt so its neutrality is the most prevalent sound attribute. My Sennheiser HD650 sound great with the DX160. So do my Hiffiman RE600. Next test is to try the whole Etymotic product line but having heard a good number of portable sources I can safely attest that this is NOT a warm DAP. Hiby R6 was warmer. Zx2 was maybe warmer too. FiiO X5-iii was warm. Plenue P1 was warm and delightfully analogue-sh.

On another note the Wifi reception is absolutely dreadful. I cannot stream from my Roon server while lying in my bedroom and the access point is only 4-5m away in the living room. Mind you I'm using an Ubiquiti Pro access point and not a conventional router which range is expected to be limited. Spotify from the same distance is barely usable with random disconnects every few minutes. Similar reception performance of that of the R6 which was CRAP and I eventually returned the unit only to get a replacement with the exact same performance... That's a major dealbreaker for me. If I wanted an offline DAC I would have stayed with the Plenue 1 which beat all portable sources I have used hands down.

Mar 18, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #3,017 of 6,983
Mar 18, 2020 at 10:04 PM Post #3,018 of 6,983

Any given device does indeed draw only the current it needs and nothing more than that. What's more important is the voltage stability and reliability of the charger.
I use only reputable chargers. My fast charger is an Innergie USB-C ''one for all'' brick. I also have a regular 5v wall charger by anker.
What worried me it was that the temperature was quite high while the unit was charging. Certainly not hot as I mistakenly wrote in the first place but rather lukewarm and since my Note 10 barely raises any temperature while charging, I thought about bringing this to the discussion.

As for the issue with Play Store, the guy I got it from all of a strange hadn't updated the firmare since November so the device was stuck to a very old version. I ran 3 consequent frmware updates until I installed the latest one and all seem to work fine now.

Another observation is that the unit also emits temperature when playing. I wouldn't say it's hot or even warm but it definitely feels it picks up a few degrees when you touch it at its glass backplate.

First impressions are good. The sound is transparent expansive and neutral without being harsh or bright. I don't know what those reviewers were hearing when they classified the DX160 as a warm/warm-ish DAP. It pairs well with headphone signatures with a slightly warm tilt so its neutrality is the most prevalent sound attribute. My Sennheiser HD650 sound great with the DX160. So do my Hiffiman RE600. Next test is to try the whole Etymotic product line but having heard a good number of portable sources I can safely attest that this is NOT a warm DAP. Hiby R6 was warmer. Zx2 was maybe warmer too. FiiO X5-iii was warm. Plenue P1 was warm and delightfully analogue-sh.

On another note the Wifi reception is absolutely dreadful. I cannot stream from my Roon server while lying in my bedroom and the access point is only 4-5m away in the living room. Mind you I'm using an Ubiquiti Pro access point and not a conventional router which range is expected to be limited. Spotify from the same distance is barely usable with random disconnects every few minutes. Similar reception performance of that of the R6 which was CRAP and I eventually returned the unit only to get a replacement with the exact same performance... That's a major dealbreaker for me. If I wanted an offline DAC I would have stayed with the Plenue 1 which beat all portable sources I have used hands down.
If you havent already, change to 5ghz for wifi. It has worked a treat for me. I still only get about 3/4 the distance of my Note 9, but that is pretty good.

I have also noticed that the wifi... (for lack of a better word) goes to sleep after a while of listening with the screen off, no matter the connection quality. It comes right back on when turning the screen back on, but since iBasso has removed those kinds of options from android, there is no way to change this behavior...

Mar 18, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #3,020 of 6,983
If you havent already, change to 5ghz for wifi. It has worked a treat for me. I still only get about 3/4 the distance of my Note 9, but that is pretty good.

I have also noticed that the wifi... (for lack of a better word) goes to sleep after a while of listening with the screen off, no matter the connection quality. It comes right back on when turning the screen back on, but since iBasso has removed those kinds of options from android, there is no way to change this behavior...
I have tested both bands and did not notice any improvement. 2.4hgz is supposedly slower but in return offers better range - not for me...
Tomorrow I will try to play around with wifi channels but I'm not very hopeful to be honest.

Mar 19, 2020 at 6:56 AM Post #3,021 of 6,983
Hey folks, newbie here. Not long had my Dx160 but loving and so far having none of the issues I've read about in this thread.

Normally I'm using Tinhifi P1 headphones which work great with this, but I also have a pair of Sony Wh1000xm3 for those times when you need noise cancelling.

The question I have is does any else find bluetooth headphones won't pause/play when using Mango? I can skip tracks and change volume but not pause/play. Works fine with Amazon HD app.

Mar 19, 2020 at 8:17 AM Post #3,022 of 6,983

It will get warmer with burn in, but the wifi issues are real. I use offline mode with Tidal and Quboz, and it is dead silent. Honestly, I am shocked how much warmer the sound signature of this DAP got after burn in, and it is one of the biggest changes I have experienced in this hobby so far. At first, it sounded dead neutral and a tad bass light for my taste, but now the bass is huge and everything sounds just right and organic.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #3,023 of 6,983
It will get warmer with burn in, but the wifi issues are real. I use offline mode with Tidal and Quboz, and it is dead silent. Honestly, I am shocked how much warmer the sound signature of this DAP got after burn in, and it is one of the biggest changes I have experienced in this hobby so far. At first, it sounded dead neutral and a tad bass light for my taste, but now the bass is huge and everything sounds just right and organic.
I will not argue that scenario as I literally have no idea how much used is my unit by the previous owner..

It has a small paint chip and a few superficial scratches at the back glass plate but everything else in the box is unused and the player came with a very early firmware (Nov. 19). I can't imagine anyone in this hobby and especially a member of this forum, not upgrading their device or even worse, not knowing how to upgrade...
Therefore chances are the unit has received a very small number of usage hours and might still need time to break in.

I will report back if I notice any change in that sound. It's not that I find it dead neutral. It has a likeable unoffensive sound that does not seem to favor any particular frequency. I'm really hopping it will get a tad warmer though.

Mar 19, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #3,024 of 6,983

Yeah, the latest firmware sounds really good. compared to older ones and even custom ones like Fidelizer basic (free firmware).

As for Temp while listening,that is related to how bright your screen is.I set mine to minimum brightness.

Wifi is ok on 5Ghz and very usable for me 3 bars out of 5 when in the bedroom which is about 4 meters away from the router.
No issues streaming tidal, amazon etc

Mar 19, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #3,025 of 6,983
Yeah, the latest firmware sounds really good. compared to older ones and even custom ones like Fidelizer basic (free firmware).

As for Temp while listening,that is related to how bright your screen is.I set mine to minimum brightness.

Wifi is ok on 5Ghz and very usable for me 3 bars out of 5 when in the bedroom which is about 4 meters away from the router.
No issues streaming tidal, amazon etc
I operate the screen under 10%.It's great even at such low brightness. I also switched to 720p.The backplate gets slightly warm lukewarm even when the DX160 drives sensitive iems.

I will test the WiFi range more extensively today. Isolating and social distancing while at home give out plentyful hours and even days for such experimentation...

Another problem I have is with Roon. While it initially worked OK, after a few hours it developed an issue. When opting to play a song it would only start for 7-8 secs and then stop. I had to close the app and reopen it but that would only result in the same sequence all over again.
I eventually performed a factory rest and now works fine but for how long?

Mar 19, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #3,026 of 6,983
Mar 19, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #3,028 of 6,983
Absolutely love my DX160, but I can’t see anything substantial about this “upgrade?”

I need it in simple terms! Lol
More output power?
Different screen
Different internal design

I guess

Mar 19, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #3,029 of 6,983
More output power?
Different screen
Different internal design

I guess

These are the ones I noticed too. Some existing dx160 owners may not feel good about this sudden "upgrade"

Mar 19, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #3,030 of 6,983
These are the ones I noticed too. Some existing dx160 owners may not feel good about this sudden "upgrade"
Aside from the first one (My concerned whether it is significant or not). This is not really a big problem to mind for ngl.
Unless you use an earphone with mic.

We still don't know how the new screen would performs tho. If it is less bright than the current screen then it can save battery

Users who are viewing this thread

Back