iBasso DX150. Dual dacs and interchangeable AMPs. **NEW Firmware that supports AMP9! ** New FIRMWARE 1.05 Dec 30.
Apr 15, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #496 of 3,129
When the DX150 owners download the update, it automatically transfers ownership of the DX150 to someone else on this thread :wink:
Randomly, I assume, right?

Apr 15, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #498 of 3,129
There is a standard and full sound selection now. I don't know what magic dust they did but the sound. . ..This doesn't even sound like the same player.

Apr 15, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #500 of 3,129
Is this a good thing or bad?
I found it a bit more subtle than @jamato8, but switching to Full felt like the soundstage got a little bit taller than before, making it overall feel more balanced.

Also had a chance to listen to the DX150 (~75hrs burned in) vs. DX200 (~150hrs) and I think what I'm hearing is a difference in sound-stage mostly. With the DX150, vocals feel concentrated more to the sides, and slightly behind my ears. The sound spatially doesn't seem quite as "tall" as it is "wide" (this is testing 10-12 songs). Analogy could be like you're sitting in a room and the sound is mainly coming from speakers at ear level on both sides.

With the DX200, I'm hearing a lot "taller" soundstage to complement the wide, so vocals feel like their a bit more spatially in front of me to the sides. Analogy more like I'm sitting in a room with speakers projecting above, below, and at ear level more to the front. Overall I get a more 3D feel with the DX200. Overall really digging it, and with initial comments on the 4s, really looking forward to pairing that up with both to see how they change. =)

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #501 of 3,129
I found it a bit more subtle than @jamato8, but switching to Full felt like the soundstage got a little bit taller than before, making it overall feel more balanced.

Also had a chance to listen to the DX150 (~75hrs burned in) vs. DX200 (~150hrs) and I think what I'm hearing is a difference in sound-stage mostly. With the DX150, vocals feel concentrated more to the sides, and slightly behind my ears. The sound spatially doesn't seem quite as "tall" as it is "wide" (this is testing 10-12 songs). Analogy could be like you're sitting in a room and the sound is mainly coming from speakers at ear level on both sides.

With the DX200, I'm hearing a lot "taller" soundstage to complement the wide, so vocals feel like their a bit more spatially in front of me to the sides. Analogy more like I'm sitting in a room with speakers projecting above, below, and at ear level more to the front. Overall I get a more 3D feel with the DX200. Overall really digging it, and with initial comments on the 4s, really looking forward to pairing that up with both to see how they change. =)
Interesting. I am not getting that. I am getting a good spread out in front of me with layering and a real kick to the sound (dynamics). Both daps are a lot of fun for sure.

Apr 15, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #502 of 3,129
Interesting. I am not getting that. I am getting a good spread out in front of me with layering and a real kick to the sound (dynamics). Both daps are a lot of fun for sure.
Wow, that's really interesting. =) You're referring to the Normal vs. Full toggle when you're talking about the spread/layering? Or generally when you compare the DX150 with DX200? I'll have to play around with the setting a bit more then. Definitely agree that both DAPs are really great and the differences I'm hearing are likely more subtle than I think. :)

Apr 15, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #504 of 3,129
Apr 15, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #506 of 3,129
My progression following this thread:

1. "Same Processor and RAM as DX200? Meh."
2. "With the AK4490 DAC I seem to like? Still meh."
3. "With a new Amp6 that reduces power consumption leading to increased battery life? I dunno."
4. "That's $400 cheaper? Huh."
5. "That now has bidirectional bluetooth so I can stream from my phone? I could listen to audiobooks easily that way and that's interesting."
6. "That also now lets me change the sound style a bit? I wonder how that'll sound. I should get one. Oh. I can't now."

Well now. Looks like I need to save up or have someone trade a DX150 for a Sony ZX300. The curses of this hobby. Also a thank you for all who have shared their impressions of the DX150 so far. I've likely read them and appreciated you sharing. Thanks!

Apr 15, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #507 of 3,129
My progression following this thread:

1. "Same Processor and RAM as DX200? Meh."
2. "With the AK4490 DAC I seem to like? Still meh."
3. "With a new Amp6 that reduces power consumption leading to increased battery life? I dunno."
4. "That's $400 cheaper? Huh."
5. "That now has bidirectional bluetooth so I can stream from my phone? I could listen to audiobooks easily that way and that's interesting."
6. "That also now lets me change the sound style a bit? I wonder how that'll sound. I should get one. Oh. I can't now."

Well now. Looks like I need to save up or have someone trade a DX150 for a Sony ZX300. The curses of this hobby. Also a thank you for all who have shared their impressions of the DX150 so far. I've likely read them and appreciated you sharing. Thanks!
This is why I frequently go to audio stores. So that I can try without having to offload a lot cash. The DX150 should be arriving here in a month or 2.

Apr 15, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #508 of 3,129
Hello All,

Currently using Hifiman HM650 as my main DAP (was Cayin i5 then Fiio X5iii) Tried DX200 stock and really impressed with the black blackground.
I am torn between AK120 ii (second hand) or DX150, I am looking for the dynamics and thickness of the mid, depth and details.

Apr 16, 2018 at 6:28 AM Post #510 of 3,129
Hello All,

Currently using Hifiman HM650 as my main DAP (was Cayin i5 then Fiio X5iii) Tried DX200 stock and really impressed with the black blackground.
I am torn between AK120 ii (second hand) or DX150, I am looking for the dynamics and thickness of the mid, depth and details.

Based on some listenings with A&K products and impressions I've been reading about the DX150, it does seem like the DX150 would fit the bill better for you.
I've always thought of the older A&K sound as being rather reference and neutral (probably the copper models are exceptions!), but the DX150 was described I think as having those attributes you are looking for.
Even more so when you factor in the fact that you always have the option to pick up a new or secondhand AMP unit and change the sound signature significantly, hence being able to really tweak it to something that's perfect for you.
Of course, the ideal option is if you can find a way to demo both. But again, the flexibility of the AMP unit options with the DX150 really give you the chance to experiment and find a sound signature that's perfect for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back