Ibasso DX100 v. Hisoundaudio Studio V
Sep 25, 2012 at 12:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

CBus Audio

New Head-Fier
I have been perusing the threads like mad in trying to decide which DAP I will get, either the Studio V or taking the plunge and getting an Ibasso DX100. Now, I know that the Ibasso has the better sound quality, but is it that much better than the Studio V to justify spending about 2 1/2 times the cost? I am digging the fact that the Studio has different firmware to match the type of IEM as I have high end IEMs of both BA and Dynamic (Westone 4 and Sony DX1000). My only set of cans is the Audio Technica ATH-50.  I also listen to a very wide variety of music depending on my mood-from Punk and Hardcore to Electronic and even Jazz. I am looking for transparency and clarity and a flexible EQ.

Sep 25, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #4 of 12
the V and dx100 sounds close IME, but the dx100 wins because of better resolution and transparency without sounding "too harsh" in some bright headphones unlike studio v.

i also own both and both died on me and sent for RMA and repair lelz

i hope it wont happen to you guys!

Sep 25, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #6 of 12
I've played around with the Studio V & whilst the SQ alone doesn't justify the 2.5x (or more if you bought the V & 50% off when they had a promo) of the DX100 price, to me the UI is worth some value too. But it really depends on your use. I'd agree that the V is much more pocketable when "on the go". But if sitting down in a cafe for an hr or two (like what I'm doing whist typing this) the DX100 & it's UI (even though slow) is more user-friendly in flipping songs, & choosing albums. I probably have something like 634 tracks (most are 24/192, then the rest are 24/96, 24/44.1, 16/44.1, & a few 320kbps lossy). Flipping through so many tracks on the V will drive me wild.

Sep 25, 2012 at 7:01 AM Post #7 of 12
 Whilst i don't own the Studio V or iBasso DX100 i do own the Studio V 3rd Anniversary. It is a fine sounding player and apparently is much quieter than the Studio V. (less background hiss). It has a very dynamic sound but i think it is probably better with less sensetive IEMs. I use it with the Sennheiser IE80s and the sound is really good. 

Apr 10, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #8 of 12
Don't have experience with the iBasso (actually in this thread as part of research, to decide if I should splurge on the dx)...have had both Studio V, and now the Anniversary. The Anniversary indeed has less hiss and is slightly better sounding than the original. They both have had problems that had me send them back to China, and both have maddening UI and general use issues...tagging is difficult, finding things is challenging, and my Anniversary isn't recognized by my PC (this is after I got it back from repair to China), so I have to drag files to an SD card directly, and can't use the internal memory (only 2gb anyway, so not such a loss, but still...). Jack at HiSound has been very accomodating, though, but sending the unit back is expense, and months of living without the player.

Apr 11, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #9 of 12
Don't have experience with the iBasso (actually in this thread as part of research, to decide if I should splurge on the dx)...have had both Studio V, and now the Anniversary. The Anniversary indeed has less hiss and is slightly better sounding than the original. They both have had problems that had me send them back to China, and both have maddening UI and general use issues...tagging is difficult, finding things is challenging, and my Anniversary isn't recognized by my PC (this is after I got it back from repair to China), so I have to drag files to an SD card directly, and can't use the internal memory (only 2gb anyway, so not such a loss, but still...). Jack at HiSound has been very accomodating, though, but sending the unit back is expense, and months of living without the player.

Lucky you. I was told it's Microsoft Windows fault. But, all my USB devices work perfectly with all my computers (including office's). Studio is the only USB port challenged device. Bad bad Microsoft.

Apr 12, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #11 of 12
i just read in one of the threads that  a new version of the studio is coming out in 2 months time, should i wait or jump on the DX100! what i want to know is.. is there a big jump in sound quality between either the 3rd anv / stock v  & the DX100?? and which amp is better?? is there any1 using them with ciems/ universals? which one do u prefer?

Apr 13, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #12 of 12
as the boomtown rats sang. " don't believe in what you read"

Hisound need to get the Novas right first, Studio V v3 is still very new, so new its not on their web site!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back