iBasso DX100 Reference DAP - ES9018 inside
Jan 19, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #1,726 of 2,799
I was all set to pull the buy trigger on the DX100 until the measly 7 hours of playback time was announced. Come on guys, 7 hours realistically equates to 6 hours at most (as every manufacturer overestimates this) which is pathetic given battery technology and the $800 price tag.

Can't help feeling that IBasso have missed a trick with the battery life on the DX100.

confused_face.gif

Jan 19, 2012 at 7:43 AM Post #1,727 of 2,799

Quote:
I was all set to pull the buy trigger on the DX100 until the measly 7 hours of playback time was announced. Come on guys, 7 hours realistically equates to 6 hours at most (as every manufacturer overestimates this) which is pathetic given battery technology and the $800 price tag.

Can't help feeling that IBasso have missed a trick with the battery life on the DX100.

confused_face.gif

The worst is we do not know if the hours is based on headphone usage or iem because headphone draws much more power.

4 hours of recharge time, that gives us 64% of usage time and 36% of charging time.

Effective usable time = 7 / (4 + 7) = 64%

Jan 19, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #1,729 of 2,799

Quote:

confused_face.gif

My reply to Ibasso's email telling me about the DX100:

Thank you for your email!  
However, at $829 with 7 hours (best case scenario, I presume) of battery life, I'm gonna pass. I'll get a Cowon DAP again and a D7 for the office. Any plans for something like a DX50? A wolfson DAC and a headphone out designed for IEMs along with an analog line out? Basically, the Cowon D3 with line out :)

/Soren

And their reply to that:

Hi,
Thank you for your email again.
The key point is how much powe the ES9018 draw, and how much power the +/-8.5V headphone AMP draw. 7hours is a compromise to the performance.

Sincerely
iBsaso Audio

It's a top-of-the-line desktop DAC chip and a mighty powerful amplifier, bolted to the back of a 3.75" screen running a powerhungry OS. 7 hours is actually quite the achievement when you think about it.

Jan 19, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #1,730 of 2,799
Jan 19, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #1,731 of 2,799
With everything that is running on the DX100, 7 hours seems like a lot. Sure more time would be great but 7 hours is more than a day for me so charing each night is no big deal. 

Jan 19, 2012 at 8:19 AM Post #1,733 of 2,799

Quote:

confused_face.gif

battery tech is the least developed among IT stuff. iirc it giving many IT company headache cause other stuff developed so fast while battery tech like standing still

Jan 19, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #1,735 of 2,799
If the 7 hours playback time is dependent upon power drawn, does this mean that high impedance headphones will use more juice and therefore deplete the battery quicker than say an IEM? In which case DX100 playback time could be substantially less or considerably more than the 7 hours quoted depending upon the cans used.

Still not convinced that the DX100 is worth $800+ but I'll gladly be proved wrong if the reviews roll in and are awesome.

popcorn.gif

Jan 19, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #1,740 of 2,799
Heh, with all those outputs, especially the digital it seems I can finally retire the H120. :wink: I'd prefer a simplified version one day though for use with the JH-3A with standard HP and optical out.

It's nice to get 64GB internal flash as well, goes some towards justifying the price, although the battery is still the Achille's heel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back