This morning, the Ibasso DX100 was finally announced along with its final spec sheet. I was very excited about Ibasso making a "statement DAP" running Android, but logically, running a top-of-the-line desktop DAC chip and a very powerful amp along with a large touch screen means the battery life is quite poor, compared to the DAPs from Apple, Cowon, Teclast etc. I exchanged a few emails with Ibasso customer service this morning and they promised me that they would seriously consider building the "DX50" as I called it. It would be the little brother to the DX100 and geared towards IEM users. This way, we can cut back on the amp section and use a more power-efficient DAC. I'm sure the Sabre DAC in the DX100 sounds awesome, but for use on the move I would personally have a hard time telling one (good) DAC from another. Here's the DAP design I proposed to Ibasso:
- 24/192 playback
- DAC optimized for low power usage, not a statement desktop DAC chip.
- 3.5mm (1/8") Headphone out with the amp section optimized for IEM use, line out for use with a more powerful amp when necessary.
- Super low output impedance, >0.3 ohm, for use with multi-driver IEMs
- Screen and OS like the DX100 (Android 2.3 w. custom software on top)
- Support a wide range of file formats; FLAC, Alac, Wav, Mp3, Ogg etc.
- 32gb of onboard storage (64gb if not too expensive) and MicroSD support.
- Real-world battery life of at least 10 hours of FLAC playback.
- Wifi for music streaming
- Standard micro USB for file transfer and charging.
- $400 to $500 price tag
Meet or exceed the above list of specs and I would buy it in a heartbeat. Am I the only one?
Edited for clarification: I don't think the (imaginary) DX50 should be a no-compromise statement DAP like the DX100. What I'm looking for is a great bang-for-buck DAP, a one-box solution to take on the iTouch/CLAS or HP-1 sandwiched rigs out there. Given their track record with portable amps and dacs punching well above their price bracket, I believe Ibasso to be just the right company to make such a device.
Added: Ibasso's reply to my suggestions:
Edited by Sorensiim - 1/19/12 at 8:03am