iBasso DX100 Reference DAP - ES9018 inside
Jan 19, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #1,651 of 2,799
At that price point, lots of people will consider it too expensive.  However, while an iPod Touch has the wifi, nice OS, nice screen, and all the apps you can eat, what it lacks is support for all the audio formats, a real DAC in it, digital outputs, and the nice headphone amp that works in a pinch.  This is a little pricier than the top touch...but 64 gigs of onboard flash is more than generous.  Perhaps they could go down to 32gb of flash and make it cost $700 for good...idk.  

It makes more sense to buy this than a complete stack of amps and stuff...It's only a little more expensive than just a CLAS.

Jan 19, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #1,652 of 2,799
if the sound is comparable with 661 and 801, I would gonna have one
3 or 4hr is still acceptable for me if the sound is so stunning

Jan 19, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #1,653 of 2,799

Quote:
if the sound is comparable with 661 and 801, I would gonna have one
3 or 4hr is still acceptable for me if the sound is so stunning

We can only hope. I really wanna unload my 601 to help recoup some of my cost... Please ibasso makes this thing **** allover the 601 so I can not regret selling it off lol :wink:

Jan 19, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #1,654 of 2,799
More to say, the official price tag for an iPod Touch 64GB in Russia is $600. As I see it to have an iPod for $600 or DX100 for $699 (or even $829) is not even a question.

Quote:
At that price point, lots of people will consider it too expensive.  However, while an iPod Touch has the wifi, nice OS, nice screen, and all the apps you can eat, what it lacks is support for all the audio formats, a real DAC in it, digital outputs, and the nice headphone amp that works in a pinch.  This is a little pricier than the top touch...but 64 gigs of onboard flash is more than generous.  Perhaps they could go down to 32gb of flash and make it cost $700 for good...idk.  

It makes more sense to buy this than a complete stack of amps and stuff...It's only a little more expensive than just a CLAS.

Jan 19, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #1,655 of 2,799
Is ibasso confident to beating ipod touch/classic + HP-P1 or CLAS combo?

Jan 19, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #1,656 of 2,799
I do wonder how fast the battery will fall with Wifi on, playing youtube on harder to drive headphones (i.e., HD650, LCD3, etc).

Some android music playback apps eat a lot more battery as well.

If the 7hours quoted timing is with Wifi off playing standard Mp3 on iems, then it is really too low.

Waiting to hear impression on this nonetheless.

Jan 19, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #1,657 of 2,799
Wonder if the first 40 units was sold out. Saw the "out of stock" notice on DX100 page but I am still able to place an order.

Jan 19, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #1,658 of 2,799
if you compare it to a normal smart phone with similar stand by battery life, 7hours music life is probably for mp3 with wifi off

Quote:
I do wonder how fast the battery will fall with Wifi on, playing youtube on harder to drive headphones (i.e., HD650, LCD3, etc).

Some android music playback apps eat a lot more battery as well.

If the 7hours quoted timing is with Wifi off playing standard Mp3 on iems, then it is really too low.

Waiting to hear impression on this nonetheless.

Jan 19, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #1,659 of 2,799
$829, 7 hours of music playback and then a 4 hour charge time? 

Well, now I have one less DAP on my short list...  I still want a DX100, but not at that price with those specs. Now, where did I put that Cowon...

Jan 19, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #1,661 of 2,799

Quote:
Studio V FTW? :wink:

I tried it - loved the sound, hated the interface. My short list now is down to the Cowon D3 (needs tweaking, but I'm pretty handy with ADB 
wink.gif
), the Sony NW-Z1070 or the new Cowon Z2. Heck, the Samsung Galaxy S 4.0 Wifi has a Wolfson DAC and with a little hacking you can get pure HW parametric EQ. Only 16gb but a 64gb Micro SDXC can change that. I'll upgrade my Fiio E10 to the Ibasso D7 and start looking for another DAP...

Jan 19, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #1,662 of 2,799

Quote:
I tried it - loved the sound, hated the interface. My short list now is down to the Cowon D3 (needs tweaking, but I'm pretty handy with ADB 
wink.gif
), the Sony NW-Z1070 or the new Cowon Z2. Heck, the Samsung Galaxy S 4.0 Wifi has a Wolfson DAC and with a little hacking you can get pure HW parametric EQ. Only 16gb but a 64gb Micro SDXC can change that. I'll upgrade my Fiio E10 to the Ibasso D7 and start looking for another DAP...

I'm trying to figure out what was bad about the interface? It is so simple to use? I mean they could do a few minor tweaks via firmware to make access a little faster but other than that I find it spot on. Simple and minimalist. I agree with you on the sound though :wink:

Jan 19, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #1,664 of 2,799

Quote:
So what do you think ClieOS, if this thing actually sounds great will it make waves at that price point?

For what I have heard, 32bit DAC is pretty buggy on its own so implementation will be everything. Plus, I don't really see the need of 32bit DAC at all. With digital-out making its way onto Android device pretty soon, I see more likely a wave of DAC / AMP with digital-in (that is cheaper than that of CLAS alike). Like HM801, the DX100 will be pretty niche in market, especially for that price. I know I am not getting one for sure. For all the Android fun, I am getting a tablet soon instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back