iBasso DX100 Reference DAP - ES9018 inside
Dec 22, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #602 of 2,799

Quote:
Okay ^^
Anyway I am very interested in this DX100, I think it has the potential to be an 'end-all' DAP, like the Fostex HP-A8 looks like an end-all DAC/Amp to me.

It would seem so. I wait as does a new travel case, I hope fits. :^)

Dec 22, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #603 of 2,799

Quote:
Sushi, Rice & Cat-fish.

$500-700 will be a good price for the western market, but that is still a very niche category 0.1% of consumers, they won't compete with Sony or Apple unless they price it at under $400. :wink:

Listen to Lord Kiteki.  She is both powerful and wise in the ways of the Force.

Dec 22, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #604 of 2,799

Quote:
How does this not look cool? They should price it under $400 to compete with Sony, Apple, Zune they will become rich.

I think it looks very cool but the average person who see's it won't know it's a DAP meant for playing lossless and driving very power hungry gear. They'll see the thickness and say What 1989 just called and they want they're hand held radio back.

Dec 22, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #606 of 2,799
Sigh, more wild claims, and no-one here has heard a single note, or used the UI, or felt the thing in their hands. We are a hype factory, pure and simple.

Dec 22, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #607 of 2,799

Quote:
Sigh, more wild claims, and no-one here has heard a single note, or used the UI, or felt the thing in their hands. We are a hype factory, pure and simple.

Your no fun! :^)

I have a place under my pillow ready for it. . . . Is it here yet? 

Dec 22, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #608 of 2,799
This is a reference product.  Price will not be low.  Expect it to be comparable or HIGHER than 801 and high end Colorfly.
If this is successful, you can predict that they will introduce lower tier affordable DACs

Dec 22, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #609 of 2,799

Quote:
Your no fun! :^)

I have a place under my pillow ready for it. . . . Is it here yet? 

True, but I look forward to hearing your impressions, and those of folk like yourself. Longstanding contributors to Head-Fi and people with a proven track record of actually listening to kit before they make pronouncements about its sonic ability - I salute you folk for keeping it real. Speculation is all well and good, but I learnt my lesson with various FOTMs from NuForce : I still cringe when I think of some of their kit and how eagerly awaited it was here.

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #610 of 2,799
I am expecting great things from the DX100. I've been saving my pennies and as soon as the doors open, I'm in!!!

Dec 22, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #611 of 2,799
Ron, I also very much look forward to your impressions - you are another who doesnt unduly gild the lily. Of course, by the time I am sufficiently confident to place an order, iBasso will have 'Sold Out' on the website, but that's cool : its happened before and I'm sure it will happen again.

Dec 23, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #612 of 2,799
Quote:
This is a reference product.  Price will not be low.  Expect it to be comparable or HIGHER than 801 and high end Colorfly.
If this is successful, you can predict that they will introduce lower tier affordable DACs

They're already developing a DAC with 4 x ES9018, I speculate they looked at how expensive the Buffalo DIY DAC projects are and thought "Hey, we can make these with a sleek enclosure and sell them at the same price".

Another Sabre ESS DIY project is the "AckoDAC", I have one and it sounds pretty good.

I'm not an expert on DIY DAC implementation, but I don't see why this DAP should cost $1K only because it has 64GB flash and an ES9018 DAC inside.

Dec 23, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #613 of 2,799

Quote:
Ron, I also very much look forward to your impressions - you are another who doesnt unduly gild the lily. Of course, by the time I am sufficiently confident to place an order, iBasso will have 'Sold Out' on the website, but that's cool : its happened before and I'm sure it will happen again.

i guess thats better than blindly jumping on the bandwagon

Dec 23, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #615 of 2,799
20 days have passed. 25 more days (unless they miss the schedule).

9 more days to 2012.

Will this be the most anticipated head-fi product of the year 2011 or 2012?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back