iBasso DX100 Reference DAP - ES9018 inside
Jan 28, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #2,281 of 2,799

Quote:
Maybe HM801 and recabling to balanced is the way to go with the T5P?

mostly balanced also raises output impedance, so maybe so

so nobody answered, is this popping with the stock player between different sample rates only, or between any 2 tracks?

Jan 28, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #2,282 of 2,799

Quote:
yeah well the tf10 due to being multidriver will present a wildly varying and mostly much lower impedance than 32ohms and no, actually its not that hard to get MUCH lower than 4ohms, its just that these designers often put resonance damping resistors at the output to protect the chips and thus avoid returns. 'the wire' for example is less than 0.1ohms

Ahh I see. But I still don't understand. The Meier Corda Classic has got less than1 ohms of output impedance but could be used to drive high impedance headphones like the HD650. Wouldn't the HD650 sounded lean as a result?

I am still trying to figure out how to determine how an amp would pair well with certain cans before buying them through looking at their output impedance, voltage and current output.

Anyway, I risk sidetracking from the thread.

So, will the internal amp within the DX100 only work well for headphones/iems that has got 20ohms or less impedance since the T5P that has got 32ohms is already a no go?

Jan 28, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #2,283 of 2,799

Quote:

so nobody answered, is this popping with the stock player between different sample rates only, or between any 2 tracks?

It happens between any two tracks. 

Jan 28, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #2,284 of 2,799

It is between every track. However Poweramp as installed on the DX100 does not produce the pops. Also, I'm not so sure that the DX100 is not doing gapless. When I compare the elapsed time of a track to the listed time, the pop happens just when the elapsed time matches the track time. Immediately after the pop, the next track begins. If it weren't for the pop, it would be gapless, except that there is no menu option to delete any end-of-track silence as there is on other players with gapless playback nor is there any menu for setting crossfade.

Jan 28, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #2,285 of 2,799

i think you are oversimplifying this, low output impedance with headphones is just about ALWAYS good (I would say always, but i have read some psuedo science that tries to apply arguments designed for much larger loudspeakers to headphones) but i can say that HD600 with my 'the wire' and other near zero output impedance, which makes them almost pure voltage source amplifiers, is NOT lacking bass!! not in the slightest.

the arguments for using higher output impedance with some loudspeakers are centered around primarily acoustic and electromechanical factors that just dont apply with properly made headphones, particularly open back ones. basically compensating for speakers and speaker cabinets that are lacking proper resonance control and thus too high electrical damping can cause them to resonate

if anything, any issues with the t5p are going to be based on its borderline acoustic and mechanical resonance damping issues, combined with what the pundits are calling 'overdamped' output. its about the combined headphone/amp response, but to me this is an error in headphone construction, that needs compensating by producing a flawed amplifier with less control of the coil

regarding the pops then, ok there is a particular setting in the es9018 that has not been turned on in the firmware, i remember conversation on this, i'll check the datasheet and see if i can remember the solution. if changing sample rates i could see that this could be a problem elsewhere due to 2 files of different rates overlapping without some sort of fade in and out ie if the track finishes with the wave high and this is directly followed by a track which starts with the wave low.

Jan 28, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #2,286 of 2,799
iBasso will be back to business tomorrow.

I am sure they will be addressing this problem (of popping) soon.

PS: thanks qusp!

Jan 28, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #2,287 of 2,799
Quote:
So, will the internal amp within the DX100 only work well for headphones/iems that has got 20ohms or less impedance since the T5P that has got 32ohms is already a no go?

I definitely am not saying this. The issue is with the T5P, not the DX100. It's not as simple as "it has 32 ohm impedance". The T5P design does not produce bass from portable amps - I read about it months ago and now I confirm it to be true. Apparently it does scale up with home amps and output impedance was a factor that someone raised.  

Anyway end of OT.

Edit: I read Jeremy's spoiler and his explanation makes sense. Beyer did solve the problem it seems with the DT1350 and I am guessing that it might be a wicked combination with the DX100.

Jan 28, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #2,288 of 2,799

Quote:
To those who want the DX100 to function as a standalone DAC/amp via USB, there is no way I would spend ~$800 on either the DX100 or the HM-801 if that was my aim. I accept that its great to have a 'Swiss Army knife', but I think you would be better served putting that kind of money toward a bigger setup for use with your computer. I dont know what percentage of the price of these DAPs is consumed by the need to fit so much in relatively small cases, but its a premium I wouldnt be willing to pay if all I needed was a USB DAC and a capable amp - separating those two will give you a lot more flexibility when you next want to upgrade. If I'm interpreting the impressions to date correctly, the amp in the DX100 would appear to be the weak(er) link - add a good portable or entry-level desktop amp to your DAP and you are in D1 territory.

Some of us like to be able to take a portable rig and be able to use it for extended periods at a computer at home AND at work.

And not all of us like to spend twice as much money duplicating set ups for one at home, and another on the go.

64GB + 32GB in one player may seem like a lot to many people, but for those of us that have an extensive collection of 24bit FLAC files far exceed a mere 96GB of storage space.  Having to swap between cards constantly is a hassle.  There is also the ability to watch HD videos (like Blu-Rays) with 24bit audio as well, and you can't do that with the DX100.  

I use the HiFiMan HM-801 with my computer all the time with Foobar 2000 for music and Windows MPC-HC for movies.  And when on the go, I simply need to unplug and can listen to music on the go as well.  (of course it doesn't play back movies).  But the key is I have actually have a choice and flexibility to do what I want.  I have yet to see a UI on a portable player that matches the speed and ease of use of Foobar.

An omission of a digital input is simply lazy or short sighted at best.  Especially considering that all these chipsets have the ability. 

Jan 28, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #2,289 of 2,799
ok, it seems to me the problem is the zero detect function has not been used. the zero detect function allows you to set a threshold and period before silence is called zero and this signal used to switch off the output to avoid spurious noises. i'm pretty sure this is the problem, i'd say you actually do have gapless play, but automute is not being enabled for that track change over, which may be incredibly short as to not be audible, but is causing an audible pop; possibly because the waves do not perfectly match. as an experiment those with DAW or wave editors, copy and paste 2 files after one another, good chance you will get a pop.  what is needed is a very short silence, or a crossfade, however a crossfade of 2 different sample rates will cause noises too, so a VERY short and thus inaudible period of silence seems to me to be the best choice.

re damping above, even there i have simplified the matter and missed out some caveats, primarily structural, electrical and acoustic/atmospheric damping with sealed enclosures and underpowered magnets. basically its a resonance caused by an amplifier trying to supply too high braking for a fast transient change of direction and the mechanism, due to a number of factors not being up to the job, so it resonates/vibrates. with a higher output impedance it acts as if there is a small resistor in the output and this attenuates the transient so its less jarring. with well damped rigid headphones with strong enough magnets vs the weight of the driver, you do not have the problem and the lower impedance simply makes for a more accurate response to the music transient.

now it becomes complicated in the cases where a headphone or loudspeaker is voiced WITH these resonance peaks caused by a less than perfect amplifier damping factor; in these cases i suppose it could result in the headphone being lean on bass when driven with high damping

ok thats enough lol people smarter than i have argued about this issue for eons

Jan 29, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #2,290 of 2,799
On the Colorfly C4 there is a soft to loudish pop at the end of each track played. The higher res the file the louder the end of track pop

Jan 29, 2012 at 4:16 AM Post #2,291 of 2,799
they could have used the zero detect but set it incorrectly or left default and its not suitable, i do think this register setting is the root of the problem though.

maybe something similar is happening with the C4, but i dont know enough about that crystal semi dac chip to say for sure

Jan 29, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #2,292 of 2,799

Quote:
An omission of a digital input is simply lazy or short sighted at best. Especially considering that all these chipsets have the ability. 

Absolutely agreed on this one. A big fail on Ibasso for sure.

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #2,293 of 2,799

Quote:

Absolutely agreed on this one. A big fail on Ibasso for sure.

Maybe iBasso just doesn't want the DX100 to cannibalize on the sales of their other amp/DACs. Hifiman only has HM101 for portable DAC (and only recently) so it is ok for them to include USB DAC function in HM801/60x to sweeten the deal. Just imagine that DX100 sounds close to DB2+PB2 and since DB2+PB2 sales is already bad, no one is going to buy that balanced setup if DX100 also accepts digital input. It may even kill off D6/D12 unless there are enough people into op-amp rolling to sustain the sales.

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #2,294 of 2,799

Maybe iBasso just doesn't want the DX100 to cannibalize on the sales of their other amp/DACs. Hifiman only has HM101 for portable DAC (and only recently) so it is ok for them to include USB DAC function in HM801/60x to sweeten the deal. Just imagine that DX100 sounds close to DB2+PB2 and since DB2+PB2 sales is already bad, no one is going to buy that balanced setup if DX100 also accepts digital input. It may even kill off D6/D12 unless there are enough people into op-amp rolling to sustain the sales.

Totally agree. Sure, it'd be nice but it's very unfair to expect iBasso to make one product that undermines sales of all their other products, and to criticise them for not committing commercial suicide.

Jan 29, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #2,295 of 2,799
DX100 owners, besides Poweramp and Neutron players can someone be kind enough to try the Cloudskipper app? On my android devices, I have found this music player to be the best in terms of a combination of sound, power usage and UI. 

Many thanks. Hoping to get a DX100 in the next batch 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back