iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Sep 26, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #12,091 of 13,503
  Yeah, its not that huge of a deal. I do think it will speed up the process if it was a manual option also. I do wish you could also change the screen with albums, artists, etc. to my folder directories. As like I stated before my folders are much cleaner than my tags. My tags keep splitting up into separate artists and it drives me nuts. For instance it will go Daft Punk then Daft Punk Feat. Put name here. Otherwise one of these days I am just going to go back and do a tag overhaul (which is annoying because I have over 2000 Flac Files). 

I did not get mine new from ibasso, but I may send them an email with a few requests. Otherwise over a few gripes I love the UI unlike other people. I guess I like having control over stuff vs automatic like Itunes. I just have to go back and make it look pretty.

www.mp3tag.de/en

Brilliant and free software that makes tagging a walk in the park, even with tons of files.

Sep 26, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #12,092 of 13,503

www.mp3tag.de/en

Brilliant and free software that makes tagging a walk in the park, even with tons of files.

I tried that, for some reason I could not get it to work properly, maybe I just need to uninstall and install it again. Whenever I have used it, it pairs it with strange music. I have had better luck with Musicbrainz Picard program. However I can not load too much into it without crashing. It works better if I do album by album anyways. I just have to get around to doing it. It downloads the album art at the same time just like MP3tag should.

Sep 26, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #12,094 of 13,503

I tried that, for some reason I could not get it to work properly, maybe I just need to uninstall and install it again. Whenever I have used it, it pairs it with strange music. I have had better luck with Musicbrainz Picard program. However I can not load too much into it without crashing. It works better if I do album by album anyways. I just have to get around to doing it. It downloads the album art at the same time just like MP3tag should.

I don't use the "guess what this is" function - I do things semi-manually, one album at a time.

1) Select the files from the album that needs proper tagging
2) Check that all have the album tag right, correct those that need it
3) Do this with title, artist and album artist tags as well
4) Use the Auto-numbering wizard to get the track numer tags in order, e.g. "04" instead of "4" or "4/11"
5) Use the tag-to-filename function to rename them all to %tracknumber% - %title%, e.g. "04 - You and Me.flac"
6) Use the album-art-from-Amazon tool to grab album art. Manually add art if Amazon comes up with nothing

My files are stored in this folder structure: Music -> Artist -> Album Title. When I'm through steps 1-6 for all the albums I needed to tag properly, I use a custom action in Mp3Tag to export all cover art to two files; cover.jpg and folder.jpg. Combined with the embedded art, this gives me cover art in just about any player I've tried. It takes time if you have a lot of files, now I've made a habit of doing this as soon as I've downloaded a new album, before using dbPoweramp to convert it to 320kbps Mp3 for use in the car 
smile.gif

Sep 26, 2013 at 5:24 AM Post #12,095 of 13,503
My DX100 is finally sold and I must say that I'm actually somewhat emotionally sad about letting it go - especially when I recently purchased a new battery for it too (yet to receive from iBasso...THAT new).

For the past 17 months, this DAP has truly stood up against the competition. Aside from my love for the FitEar TG!334, I never thought I'd be so emotionally attached to a player as much as this.

Sep 26, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #12,096 of 13,503
Hmm I never found power amp to sound better than the stock player. That is why I always reverted back to Stock. I loved the UI though but was not willing to sacrifice sound quality. That isn't just referring to high resolution files but across the board.

Are you certain about that?

Do you still have your DX-100 with PowerAmp installed?

Try this... go into PowerAmp, then Settings -> Audio -> Advanced Tweaks, then insure that the first option, "Direct Volume Control" is CHECKED.

Put your volume and gain at the level you usually use for your headphones. My volume is at 250 and my gain switch is on High.

Then, open a test track, and play it. Make sure the EQ settings are all turned off.

Then, do the same thing using the iBasso player. Open the player itself, not the widget. Make sure the EQ settings are all off. Then, open the same test track, and play it.

Does the overall volume sound the same to you on both? On **mine**, Poweramp sounds correct, while the iBasso player sounds like it's being attenuated. When engaging the EQ on the iBasso player it gets worse, since the iBasso EQ only attenuates and does not boost (even with all EQ sliders at 100%, it still sounds attenuated even further than when the EQ is not engaged).

Sep 26, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #12,097 of 13,503
Are you certain about that?

Do you still have your DX-100 with PowerAmp installed?

Try this... go into PowerAmp, then Settings -> Audio -> Advanced Tweaks, then insure that the first option, "Direct Volume Control" is CHECKED.

Put your volume and gain at the level you usually use for your headphones. My volume is at 250 and my gain switch is on High.

Then, open a test track, and play it. Make sure the EQ settings are all turned off.

Then, do the same thing using the iBasso player. Open the player itself, not the widget. Make sure the EQ settings are all off. Then, open the same test track, and play it.

Does the overall volume sound the same to you on both? On **mine**, Poweramp sounds correct, while the iBasso player sounds like it's being attenuated. When engaging the EQ on the iBasso player it gets worse, since the iBasso EQ only attenuates and does not boost (even with all EQ sliders at 100%, it still sounds attenuated even further than when the EQ is not engaged).

I did that. It did improve the sound but it didn't sound better than the stock player still. It lacked resolution, dynamics. The treble was on the boosted/aggressive side and the bass a bit bloated. The UI was superb and would have made the DX100 perfect in my book. But based on sound. Hell no. The limitation stems from power amp utilizing the android kernel which is limited to 16/44. It is not using the full potential of the saber DAC. That is even apparent on 16/44 material for me. I no longer have the DX100 but when I had it I extensively compared these players and the stock always sounded better. I wouldn't purposely downgrade my UI based on placebo effect. I have to genuinely hear some sort of improvement to make me make such a sacrifice.

Although if you don't hear it that way well more power to you. Means you get the perfect UI and pretty much non of the issues associated with the standard player. wish I heard things that way....

Sep 27, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #12,098 of 13,503
As a new DX50 owner I just wanted to post how much I appreciate the DX100.  All of us early adopters went through the growing pains with the DX100 and I feel have been rewarded.  I'm hoping the DX50 can do the same with low impedance headphones but starting to have my doubts. While iBasso figures that out I've gone back to my DX100 and Senn HD650 pairing at home.  Just love this combo!  Wish I could get the same sound (given the smaller soundstage) on the road with CIEMs or portable circumaural headphones (Senn Momentums) but maybe asking too much for the price of the DX50.

Sep 27, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #12,099 of 13,503
  As a new DX50 owner I just wanted to post how much I appreciate the DX100.  All of us early adopters went through the growing pains with the DX100 and I feel have been rewarded.  I'm hoping the DX50 can do the same with low impedance headphones but starting to have my doubts. While iBasso figures that out I've gone back to my DX100 and Senn HD650 pairing at home.  Just love this combo!  Wish I could get the same sound (given the smaller soundstage) on the road with CIEMs or portable circumaural headphones (Senn Momentums) but maybe asking too much for the price of the DX50.

Maybe they should make a DX75 model. Perhaps something similar to the dac portion of the DX100, but a weaker amp of quality. Personally I feel like they have too much on their plate already. As the DX100 is not perfect (however I do not have a ton of complaints, just a couple of minor ones), and from what I hear the DX50 needs a decent amount of working on. Though I do think it would be interesting. I personally would still go for the DX100 even it did exist as I need the powerful amp.

Maybe I have not done my research but there seems to be a middle ground lacking in DAPs lately. As there are a lot of $200-$300 models popping up and of course the almighty $700+, however there is no $350-$500 quality range. Maybe with the release of the Fiio X5 it might change.

Sep 27, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #12,100 of 13,503
I'd much prefer a dual sabre DAC DX200 with the same outs and functions currently along with a fast snappy UI like the DX50......one can dream.  Throw in a balanced line out in there as well while they're at it hah. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 27, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #12,101 of 13,503
  I'd much prefer a dual sabre DAC DX200 with the same outs and functions currently along with a fast snappy UI like the DX50......one can dream.  Throw in a balanced line out in there as well while they're at it hah. 
biggrin.gif

By the time the DX1000 comes out we should have a properly working UI....
biggrin.gif

Sep 27, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #12,102 of 13,503
just posted in the DX50 thread about this (prob off topic there to be honest) but weren't ibasso going to let some third parties have a look at their API? (Neutron, Poweramp etc) I rememeber reading Poweramp was a no-no, but has that just gone dead?  also what happened to Figgie the savour? :)

Sep 27, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #12,103 of 13,503
  just posted in the DX50 thread about this (prob off topic there to be honest) but weren't ibasso going to let some third parties have a look at their API? (Neutron, Poweramp etc) I rememeber reading Poweramp was a no-no, but has that just gone dead?  also what happened to Figgie the savour? :)

As I mentioned earlier that probably never came to pass due to Rock Chip and their proprietary nature. So ibasso might not even be allowed to give out that API all thanks to Rock Chip. Regarding Figgie? I was wondering the same thing lol. Guess a grab and run :wink:.

Sep 28, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #12,105 of 13,503
I just found out I have to take a trip to China...and thought it might be nice to pick up a second DX100 for my son.  It appears I'll be around Shanghai.  Any recommendations where to pick one up..and whether it would be any cheaper than purchasing one via mail from the U.S.?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back