iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Aug 11, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #11,926 of 13,503
That's the DT770 Anniversary Edition and they do quite well with the DX100. Haven't tried the DT990, I'm afraid. 

Edit: And thanks for getting my name right! 
biggrin.gif
I can spell your name because I am living in København myself at this moment :wink: just last week I got myself a DT 880 for my DX 100. It sounds okay. But somebody says that I need to get a tube amp for the DT880 to get a better sq. Do you agree or know where I can get a good tube amp?

Aug 12, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #11,928 of 13,503
I got everything to one page of Go Launcher Ex. (Obviously got rid of all the ad and spam widgets the Go Launcher puts on by default.) Turned off background services and sync, and only use wireless to transfer mp3's from this point.

I'm still not sure how I feel about some of the replies to me specifically... I don't appreciate and don't deserve the device, because 1) I try to use wireless and have problems and should know not to use wireless, and 2) I don't root and gut the device so it runs nothing but the onboard music player, and 3) I followed advice in the FAQ, but should have realized the parts of the FAQ are dated and should have known to ignore those parts. So I should just sell the iBasso and use an ipod / Android phone / whatever.

Gee whiz! :basshead:

Aug 12, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #11,929 of 13,503
Quote:
I got everything to one page of Go Launcher Ex. (Obviously got rid of all the ad and spam widgets the Go Launcher puts on by default.) Turned off background services and sync, and only use wireless to transfer mp3's from this point.

I'm still not sure how I feel about some of the replies to me specifically... I don't appreciate and don't deserve the device, because 1) I try to use wireless and have problems and should know not to use wireless, and 2) I don't root and gut the device so it runs nothing but the onboard music player, and 3) I followed advice in the FAQ, but should have realized the parts of the FAQ are dated and should have known to ignore those parts. So I should just sell the iBasso and use an ipod / Android phone / whatever.

Gee whiz!
basshead.gif

Don't mind them. I'm pleasantly surprised you've persevered for so long and understood that you may have voiced your thoughts along the way....as long as you eventually get it to the state you want it to, and enjoy it for what it's supposed to do.

Aug 14, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #11,930 of 13,503
Quote:
Yeah i got my DX100 usesd and they're sending me a new one. They do stand by their product, but the problem is...why does a product that is this expensive have these issues? This isn't a few out of many, this is many out of many. The common problems of wifi, load freezing, long boot times are all adroid based. With the money they charge for the unit, they should at least have someone on staff checking for these common issues before the item ships.

However, it's an example of the way business has changed. It's cheaper to just ship the finished units without a quality control and deal with those who send the units back than to hire someone.

I agree 100% Ive been following this thread a long time and there always problems no wonder they have great customer service and back then i said to myself give it a year to iron out the bugs but it seems its hopeless imo.Wont ever buy this thing.

Aug 14, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #11,931 of 13,503
I bought a Clip+ to listen to on my way to work. Guess what? User interface works like a dream. Sound quality? Excellent. Battery Life? 12-13hrs. Charge it once a week. Size and weight? Barely noticeable. Clips to everything without an issue. Delays? None. Turns on in barely a second. No waiting 5+ minutes for it to load with the high probability of it crashing if I press play too early.

I should have given this site a wide berth to begin with and just listened to the guys at abi. Then all my frustrations and financial suffering with Hifiman and the like could have been avoided. I have been overwhelmed with pure relief at the sheer useability and performance of this dirt cheap audio player. What a journey it has been...
rolleyes.gif

Aug 15, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #11,932 of 13,503
Quote:
...iron out the bugs but it seems its hopeless imo.

What bugs?
Admittedly there have been some teething issues, which were addressed quickly with firmware updates.
The CPU hardware and choice of a very early Android OS was probably not the best move, but it works...maybe a bit slow during boot up\scan...but it works.

The fact that you are buying a product from a small niche company within a small niche area, you should accept that it will not be as slick as a mass consumer product. If you want slick...go somewhere else and accept the trade off.
When you buy a niche product, you should accept that there will be minor quirks, but as long as it carries out its primary role brilliantly, you adapt and get on with it.

Quote:
I bought a Clip+
I should have given this site a wide berth to begin with and just listened to the guys at abi.

Glad you found what you were looking for and that it works for you....some of us want a bit more

Aug 15, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #11,933 of 13,503
The Clip+ is great for what it does. Much better value for money than the DX100, that's for sure!

However, some of us want more. We know we're paying a lot more for small improvements, but those improvements stack up. When I listen to music, I'm at work, listening for 6-8 hours a day, using CIEMs, so the DX100 is perfect for me. Yes, it does take 1-2 minutes to start up (fully loaded internal memory and 64gb microSD) and yes, the wifi is crappy to say the least... But I love it for what it does. I only use it as a music player and I load music (Flac, all flac!) to it using a micro USB cable. Compare the DX100 to a modern Android device or iOS device and it will seem slow, old and horrible. Compare it to the Colorfly C4 or the HifiMan players (you know - other audiophile bricks) and suddenly the DX100 is the one with the better UI. Everything is relative 
wink.gif

Aug 15, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #11,934 of 13,503
I don't have any problems with the DX100. Starts right up, takes maybe 2 minutes or a little less to boot and I have great music. Changes to other albums quickly or to different tracks within the same album about as fast as I touch the other song. Very open and spacious. What is important is that you enjoy what you are hearing and using and whatever does that is great. 

Aug 15, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #11,935 of 13,503
Well, wireless once again is completely gone. It looks like it worked fine for a week, then over the next three weeks, began to fail. It is now again at the point of completely not working at all, even after a factory restore to default shipping state. Other wireless devices work fine, the DX-100 behaves the same with other routers, so, I guess that means it's now dead.

I guess my only course now is to e-mail service and ask for an exchange for a third device.

Ugh.

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #11,938 of 13,503
iBasso should just have disabled everything but direct boot into the player app and never mention Android, WiFi or Bluetooth.:)

+1

Aug 15, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #11,939 of 13,503
The blue tooth function would always act funky with me as well when I had my device. Sometimes it would work and other times it would constantly disconnect and reconnect. It was just random. I think ibasso has some serous quality control issues regarding Wifi and their firmware. With so many issues they should never had even boasted it as a feature. I used it once in a great while to load programs but generally Wifi wasn't important for my needs. Mainly the main player and playlist support. Rooting it did help to clean up a lot of the junk on their.

Strangely enough you don't see many people with the Hibino version complaining about this. It's probably in part due to all the **** they have running in the background causing conflicts....

Aug 16, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #11,940 of 13,503
Well talking with you guys I guess I jinxed myself.....my unit stopped powering on after the last charge no matter how I reset/connect to the computer.  Good thing is contacting iBasso (Mr. Li) has been very quick/easy and I'm sending the unit back to be repaired under warranty.  Guess I have to get the Sony Z1060 charged up heh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back