iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Jan 15, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #9,991 of 13,503
Quote:
Did the older ones have trouble with output impedance? I used the 601 and found its output impedance to be perfect for all the earphones I used with no defaults in any one test, listening suite, or otherwise. That said, the HiFiman series use chips that make use of low-pass filters, which roll off the high frequencies - no matter which earphone is used. It's been a while and there have been a few products since the 601, so things may have changed, but the 801 and 601 had no problems with output impedance - at least as far as the units I tried are concerned.

Liking the roll off though, that is up to you. I dug it with certain music.

Not so sure about that Shigzeo. At least from what I've heard all Hifiman 801 units suffered from high output impedance'. Even the one with the game card which was around 18 ohms I think. So there was no unit with less than 1 ohm.

Jan 15, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #9,992 of 13,503
Quote:
I added artwork as Front Cover and jpg. It also works to put your artwork in the same folder, called 'folder.jpg'. The DX100 will display that file for each song in that folder.

still no luck.. anyway, I just used those album art downloaders for now as a temporary fix 
wink.gif
 thanks for the tip with the mediamonkey 
biggrin.gif

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #9,993 of 13,503
Quick question: I haven't followed the thread for a while. I'm thinking of upgrading from 1.1.7 to the latest firmware but wondering if its worth it. Is there a list of changes anywhere?

Jan 16, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #9,994 of 13,503
Quote:
Quick question: I haven't followed the thread for a while. I'm thinking of upgrading from 1.1.7 to the latest firmware but wondering if its worth it. Is there a list of changes anywhere?

No change lists as far as I know.... And for me, the only big difference between 1.1.7 and 1.2.7 is the flac album art support.

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #9,995 of 13,503
Quote:

There is a clear difference between 1.1.7 and 1.2.7 in sound quality. The difference is even more apparent from 1.2.3 (which was just pure ****) to 1.2.7. If not for the added album art support do the upgrade for the sound quality upgrade as well. More 3D sounding. Bass has even more texture yet doesn't get muddy & distorted like it did on 1.2.3.

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #9,996 of 13,503
Quote:
There is a clear difference between 1.1.7 and 1.2.7 in sound quality. The difference is even more apparent from 1.2.3 (which was just pure ****) to 1.2.7. If not for the added album art support do the upgrade for the sound quality upgrade as well. More 3D sounding. Bass has even more texture yet doesn't get muddy & distorted like it did on 1.2.3.

Agreed. Sense of space is better on the latest firmware which points to better details and microdynamics.

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #9,997 of 13,503
A music recomandation for you guys: http://bigbigtrain.bandcamp.com/releases

English prog rock (give it a listen on the website) - £4.50 for a full album in 24/44.1 Flac is a damn fair price I'd say.

Jan 16, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #9,998 of 13,503
Quote:
Not so sure about that Shigzeo. At least from what I've heard all Hifiman 801 units suffered from high output impedance'. Even the one with the game card which was around 18 ohms I think. So there was no unit with less than 1 ohm.

My experience with the HM801 is meagre at best, but I own the HM601 which has no such difficulties driving low Ω headphones. Reading DFKT's thread at ABI, I'm lead to believe that the HM801 also has a low Ω output as he plugs a 16Ω earphone and gets the same output as when he uses no load in the line. I'd guess at max, 2Ω. 

EDIT: forgot the link.

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #10,001 of 13,503
9999 was pretty cool also.

No kind of music have I heard on the DX that didn't sound good, if, well recorded.

Jan 16, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #10,003 of 13,503
Quote:
My experience with the HM801 is meagre at best, but I own the HM601 which has no such difficulties driving low Ω headphones. Reading DFKT's thread at ABI, I'm lead to believe that the HM801 also has a low Ω output as he plugs a 16Ω earphone and gets the same output as when he uses no load in the line. I'd guess at max, 2Ω. 

EDIT: forgot the link.

Well Shigzeo I'm more so referring to the negative effects the higher output impedance' have on sensitive IEMs and headphones frequency responses. I tend to be a real stickler on that ever since having bad experiences with such gear. Plus I never knew why the hell I was not happy with the combo and why it all sounded weird and off. Then I found out later the reason why was the 10 ohms output impedance (Fiio E9) lol :p. So I knew something was wrong before I even knew the cause. Ever since that I've been quite vocal about this kinda stuff. I no longer buy amps that have more than 1 ohm output impedance and I sure hope the 901 gets that right this time.

Jan 16, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #10,004 of 13,503
Is there anyone here that would be willing to let me borrow/demo their DX100 for a couple days? I really want to see how much better the sound quality is vs. my current DAPs, but I don't want to throw down the hefty msrp+shipping just to try it out. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back