iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Jan 11, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #9,961 of 13,503
Quote:
I create .flac files from my CDs using EAC. I also created a few .wav files of the same tracks just to test if I could hear a difference. It turns out that flac files are good on the DX100 but I found the wav version to have a bit more dynamic range, which is very important to me. Most of the tracks on the CD I create as flac to save space. But the special tracks, the ones I listen to most, I create as wav. The DX100 handles this mix just fine.

So I always thought the one downside to .wav files, other than the large size, was the lack of tags. But I experimented by adding metadata to wav files via MediaMonkey, including artwork, and then copying those files to the DX100. And guess what? That metadata does display when playing the wav file in the DX100. Now I like my DX100 even more!

Wait so you are saying you were able to get Album art to show up on WAV as well as all tags? I agree on WAV sounding more dynamic and open. More effortless. I especially feel this way on the Studio V 3rd ANV. Never tried it on the DX100 though.

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #9,962 of 13,503
Quote:
I create .flac files from my CDs using EAC. I also created a few .wav files of the same tracks just to test if I could hear a difference. It turns out that flac files are good on the DX100 but I found the wav version to have a bit more dynamic range, which is very important to me. Most of the tracks on the CD I create as flac to save space. But the special tracks, the ones I listen to most, I create as wav. The DX100 handles this mix just fine.

So I always thought the one downside to .wav files, other than the large size, was the lack of tags. But I experimented by adding metadata to wav files via MediaMonkey, including artwork, and then copying those files to the DX100. And guess what? That metadata does display when playing the wav file in the DX100. Now I like my DX100 even more!

I have been doing all WAV lately, and have some in high res, so I will have to look into get the metadata with mine. I also find that the WAV is the best sounding on the DX.

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #9,963 of 13,503
You should be able to get all that with wav files. I'd have to check on what works here but I get album art etc on an Ipod touch. Lee, I know you use MM as a library, let it tag and add art to some wav files for you in and see what happens. If you can load from MM to the device, it may help with art if not normally held in the folder.

And I agree with you 2 guys about wav. Still the best.

Jan 11, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #9,964 of 13,503
So I am on the bandwagon now. Just got a DX100 from lee730 and it has exceeded my expectations. I tried both the HE400 and LCD-2 headphones but found that while they both sound great with the iBasso, after hours of wearing them my neck got sore! So I looked for a lighter weight alternative and bought a HD650 on Amazon. The great news is I like it even better than the orthodynamics with this DAP. The combination has great detail and yet a warmth to the tone that is very satisfying. Thankfully the other headphones were on a 30 day trial from Headroom and SoundEarphones, so I shipped them back.

I also find it a little better all around to feed my Predator's amp instead of using the amp in the DX100. And since I use my setup more like a transportable than a portable with everything strapped to a laptop lap desk, I also added in the Acoustic Research TDS Sound Enhancer. It brings out the low level details, but you need a quiet system or it also boosts any noise or hiss. But on pause I can max out the volume on the DX100 and the Predator and not hear a thing through the HD650 even with the TDS in the chain, so I get to have my detail cake and eat it too.

Based on lee730's reports on here, I also ordered a T1 amp to see if that adds even more to what the Predator is already doing for my ears. And I also ordered a silver/gold cable for the HD650 from Plussound. Maybe after all of this I can stop and catch my breath from upgrading, and give my wallet a break by selling some of my older gear. I will also have to try using WAV files instead of lossless and see if I can hear a difference.

Jan 11, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #9,965 of 13,503
Quote:
So I am on the bandwagon now. Just got a DX100 from lee730 and it has exceeded my expectations. I tried both the HE400 and LCD-2 headphones but found that while they both sound great with the iBasso, after hours of wearing them my neck got sore! So I looked for a lighter weight alternative and bought a HD650 on Amazon. The great news is I like it even better than the orthodynamics with this DAP. The combination has great detail and yet a warmth to the tone that is very satisfying. Thankfully the other headphones were on a 30 day trial from Headroom and SoundEarphones, so I shipped them back.

I also find it a little better all around to feed my Predator's amp instead of using the amp in the DX100. And since I use my setup more like a transportable than a portable with everything strapped to a laptop lap desk, I also added in the Acoustic Research TDS Sound Enhancer. It brings out the low level details, but you need a quiet system or it also boosts any noise or hiss. But on pause I can max out the volume on the DX100 and the Predator and not hear a thing through the HD650 even with the TDS in the chain, so I get to have my detail cake and eat it too.

Based on lee730's reports on here, I also ordered a T1 amp to see if that adds even more to what the Predator is already doing for my ears. And I also ordered a silver/gold cable for the HD650 from Plussound. Maybe after all of this I can stop and catch my breath from upgrading, and give my wallet a break by selling some of my older gear. I will also have to try using WAV files instead of lossless and see if I can hear a difference.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, somewhere :^), I leave my DX100 on all the time. Leave the charger in and with this I find the unit to sound even finer and frankly, while amping can add a different sound, the unit sounds extremely good by its self. I notice this after a few day of being on all the time.

Jan 11, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #9,966 of 13,503
yeah, you can just say that you re freezing in alaska and needed the warmth from the dx100 :wink:

Jan 11, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #9,967 of 13,503
I have the Intruder running with the DX right now, using the Intruder in balanced mode. What detail and impact, different flavors and they are all great. The DX, Intruder or iBasso fi.Q all really bring the music (well recorded and even some not so well recorded), to life. Great stuff.  Listening to some Peter Green, such an excellent blues player.

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #9,968 of 13,503
Quote:
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, somewhere :^), I leave my DX100 on all the time. Leave the charger in and with this I find the unit to sound even finer and frankly, while amping can add a different sound, the unit sounds extremely good by its self. I notice this after a few day of being on all the time.

I will give it a try as much of the time I use it in one place.

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #9,969 of 13,503
Quote:
yeah, you can just say that you re freezing in alaska and needed the warmth from the dx100 :wink:

Ain't it the truth, ain't it the truth. Snowing right now, then warming and them whammm, freezing on Monday and driving will be torture up here on ice. And believe it or not, as much as most have lived here for years, they can't winter drive worth a damx. They will slam up behind you and honk even though it is icy and then you see them off the road. Stupid, many of them.

But hey, I got music!

Waiting to see what figgie comes up with. What's up? :^)
---------------

I am using the Intruder on a constant basis right now. The combination of it and the DX100 is spectacular. The well articulated detail and realism has to be heard to be believed. It is like I am hearing a live feed!

Jan 12, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #9,970 of 13,503
Quote:
I have the Intruder running with the DX right now, using the Intruder in balanced mode. What detail and impact, different flavors and they are all great. The DX, Intruder or iBasso fi.Q all really bring the music (well recorded and even some not so well recorded), to life. Great stuff.  Listening to some Peter Green, such an excellent blues player.

Are you listening to John Mayall and the Blues Breakers featuring Peter Green? What an album.

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #9,971 of 13,503
Being new to the DX100, I have a question that may have been answered, but on many tracks (not all) I hear a single click after the first 5-6 seconds of each new song. It is not loud or disturbing, but I have heard it dozens of times now, and always at about 5-6 seconds into a new song. I may not hear it when the music is louder at the beginning of a song as the click is so soft that it would be easy to miss, but it is obvious on quieter songs. Is this something others have experienced? Is there an easy fix?

Thanks! (PS: My DX100 is rooted and has all unecessary apps disabled thanks to lee370 who sold it to me that way)

Jan 12, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #9,972 of 13,503
Quote:
Being new to the DX100, I have a question that may have been answered, but on many tracks (not all) I hear a single click after the first 5-6 seconds of each new song. It is not loud or disturbing, but I have heard it dozens of times now, and always at about 5-6 seconds into a new song. I may not hear it when the music is louder at the beginning of a song as the click is so soft that it would be easy to miss, but it is obvious on quieter songs. Is this something others have experienced? Is there an easy fix?

Thanks! (PS: My DX100 is rooted and has all unecessary apps disabled thanks to lee370 who sold it to me that way)

I was going to ask if you have any apps running but you answered that. I don't get that but did get some clicks with apps and sometimes with the screen feature on that allows it to change with the way the DX is held so I disable that as well.

Jan 12, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #9,973 of 13,503
Quote:

I think I found the source of my clicks. It crossed my mind that I had gapless turned on and set for 5 seconds. Reset it to "Native Play" and no more clicks. It seems the click was the last song turning off after the 5 second overlap, and with the TDS sound enhancer in my chain I can hear any noise that is there. So I may have never noticed the clicking without that device adding to the low level sounds I can hear. But it sounds so good with the low level details I am hearing that I can live without gapless. A few seconds of silence never hurt anybody
rolleyes.gif

Jan 12, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #9,974 of 13,503
Quote:
I think I found the source of my clicks. It crossed my mind that I had gapless turned on and set for 5 seconds. Reset it to "Native Play" and no more clicks. It seems the click was the last song turning off after the 5 second overlap, and with the TDS sound enhancer in my chain I can hear any noise that is there. So I may have never noticed the clicking without that device adding to the low level sounds I can hear. But it sounds so good with the low level details I am hearing that I can live without gapless. A few seconds of silence never hurt anybody
rolleyes.gif

? If you leave it on native play you won't have gapes :wink:. But when you manually change the tracks there will be a slight fade in. I always left it on native play as that is true gapless. On 5 secs or so you have a slight delay/fade in as well. Now that you mention it that is why I went back to native play lol. Because that noise you were talking about...

Jan 13, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #9,975 of 13,503
Quote:
? If you leave it on native play you won't have gapes :wink:. But when you manually change the tracks there will be a slight fade in. I always left it on native play as that is true gapless. On 5 secs or so you have a slight delay/fade in as well. Now that you mention it that is why I went back to native play lol. Because that noise you were talking about...

Oh, I thought native play meant no gapless, but glad to know I was right about the 5 second setting causing the clicks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back