iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Jan 16, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #10,006 of 13,503
Quote:
Well Shigzeo I'm more so referring to the negative effects the higher output impedance' have on sensitive IEMs and headphones frequency responses. I tend to be a real stickler on that ever since having bad experiences with such gear. Plus I never knew why the hell I was not happy with the combo and why it all sounded weird and off. Then I found out later the reason why was the 10 ohms output impedance (Fiio E9) lol :p. So I knew something was wrong before I even knew the cause. Ever since that I've been quite vocal about this kinda stuff. I no longer buy amps that have more than 1 ohm output impedance and I sure hope the 901 gets that right this time.

Hey Lee, I use headphones and earphones interchangeable, which is my problem - something I need to fix. DFKT used 16Ω earphone loads that didn't phase the 801 at all. They aren't balanced armature earphones, but they do present quite a load. I may borrow on to test output Ω later on, but again, I assume it is quite low. High output Ω isn't its issue. It's issue is the NOS DAC that is made for living room listening via speakers, which has a rolled off high frequency plus lower overall stereo separation. Some people really like that sound, and it was designed for that sound. 

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #10,008 of 13,503
Quote:
9999 was pretty cool also.

No kind of music have I heard on the DX that didn't sound good, if, well recorded.

Quote:
My thoughts exactly. Everything I throw at it, it just does very well.

Well, I just not sure it is because or DX or because of my IEM, i found some songs may sound too analytic to be enjoyable =/
Some especially electrica/rock/pop genre. For eg. BigBang/Gaga XD

Jan 17, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #10,009 of 13,503
Quote:
Hey Lee, I use headphones and earphones interchangeable, which is my problem - something I need to fix. DFKT used 16Ω earphone loads that didn't phase the 801 at all. They aren't balanced armature earphones, but they do present quite a load. I may borrow on to test output Ω later on, but again, I assume it is quite low. High output Ω isn't its issue. It's issue is the NOS DAC that is made for living room listening via speakers, which has a rolled off high frequency plus lower overall stereo separation. Some people really like that sound, and it was designed for that sound. 

Yeah dynamic IEMs wouldn't exhibit as much of an issue although I still had quite a bit of issues on my IE8s with the E9 amps 10 ohms. But then again you do have a point about the NOS dac already rolling of the high frequencies. Still with the 18 ohms output impedance the unit is not ideal for BA as you said. There will be more than just treble roll off with BAs :).

Jan 17, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #10,010 of 13,503
Quote:
Is there anyone here that would be willing to let me borrow/demo their DX100 for a couple days? I really want to see how much better the sound quality is vs. my current DAPs, but I don't want to throw down the hefty msrp+shipping just to try it out. 

Sure thing, as long as you pick it up yourself. I'm right here. Let me know when you expect to be here and I'll have the coffee ready.

Jan 17, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #10,011 of 13,503
lol smart ass :).

Good luck with that one though. You'll most likely have to take everyone's word for it and take a risk like we all did. Regardless even if the unit doesn't work out for you (which is a low percentage to be honest) you can get back most of your money by selling the unit here on headfi. I did and I didn't lose much at all to be honest. It's a small price to pay to demo the gear.

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #10,012 of 13,503
Jan 17, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #10,013 of 13,503
Ha, figured I'd get a smart ass response. With the amount of trading and demoing that goes on in this community (and that I have participated in myself) I was hoping somebody might be kind enough. Guess not. Oh well, worth a shot.

lol smart ass :).
Good luck with that one though. You'll most likely have to take everyone's word for it and take a risk like we all did. Regardless even if the unit doesn't work out for you (which is a low percentage to be honest) you can get back most of your money by selling the unit here on headfi. I did and I didn't lose much at all to be honest. It's a small price to pay to demo the gear.

Yeah, I'm all too familiar with buying and selling/returning for a loss. Which is why I asked first.

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #10,014 of 13,503
Quote:
Ha, figured I'd get a smart ass response. With the amount of trading and demoing that goes on in this community (and that I have participated in myself) I was hoping somebody might be kind enough. Guess not. Oh well, worth a shot.
Yeah, I'm all too familiar with buying and selling/returning for a loss. Which is why I asked first.

Dude, I'm dead serious but the geography might make it a bit less feasible.

Anyway - For the absolutely best possible portable sound, go for the DX100. 

For portability (pocketability), accessories, price etc... go for an iDevice.

Jan 17, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #10,015 of 13,503
Guys,

Using PowerAmp for most playing but the UI is a bit dated. The EQ of course is very good.

I see that JetAudio gets recommended often on the Walkman Z on some other Android threads and I like its look. I've tried to load direct on my DX100 but get an incompatible message. Does Jetaudio run on the DX100? If so, is it worth trying another way to install?

Thanks in advance...

Jan 17, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #10,016 of 13,503
Quote:
Guys,

Using PowerAmp for most playing but the UI is a bit dated. The EQ of course is very good.

I see that JetAudio gets recommended often on the Walkman Z on some other Android threads and I like its look. I've tried to load direct on my DX100 but get an incompatible message. Does Jetaudio run on the DX100? If so, is it worth trying another way to install?

Thanks in advance...

I'd say don't waste your time with Power amp or any android player until they are compatible with the DX100. What I mean is they are using androids native driver instead of the custom one made by ibasso. You are just degrading the sound quality in comparison to the stock player. This is for all music not just 24/192, but even 16/44. Very noticeable differences.

Jan 17, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #10,017 of 13,503
Quote:
Dude, I'm dead serious but the geography might make it a bit less feasible.

Anyway - For the absolutely best possible portable sound, go for the DX100. 

For portability (pocketability), accessories, price etc... go for an iDevice.

I believe AK100/RWAK100 is also a choice for portability? :D
I've seen a real unit, it is so tiny that you can fit in any pocket on you. unless you prefer go out naked.

Jan 17, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #10,018 of 13,503
Quote:
I'd say don't waste your time with Power amp or any android player until they are compatible with the DX100. What I mean is they are using androids native driver instead of the custom one made by ibasso. You are just degrading the sound quality in comparison to the stock player. This is for all music not just 24/192, but even 16/44. Very noticeable differences.

Thanks Lee... wasn't aware of that and really hadn't been doing much critical listening to check it. Been more testing out my different HPs and IEMs to how they sound. Must pay more attention to it.

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #10,019 of 13,503
Quote:

I believe AK100/RWAK100 is also a choice for portability? :D
I've seen a real unit, it is so tiny that you can fit in any pocket on you. unless you prefer go out naked.I

Indeed, they are small. But, if you put it in your pocket, the exposed volume knob will likely turn and blast your ears. At least it doesn't increment too quickly.

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #10,020 of 13,503
Quote:
Indeed, they are small. But, if you put it in your pocket, the exposed volume knob will likely turn and blast your ears. At least it doesn't increment too quickly.

Well shigzeo to be honest I don't think that will ever be in issue since as you said the volume steps are so small lol. I just don't see that happening ever. I own the RWA AK100 but I'm still on the fence whether or not I'm going to keep it lol.... There may be just too many compromises with this unit for its price range. Plus the sound doesn't really wow me unless it is at very low volume or quite high volumes (which isn't good for my hearing....). Plus iRiver is giving a bunch of conflicting stories from customer support, its sickening. Such as now they won't add gapeless playback, won't offer a fix for the 22 ohms output impedance (which they said they would) and won't support m3u format and make playlist actually a feasible option on this unit. Really dumb all around lol. I kinda wish ibasso would release a DX50 specifically oriented for Sensitive IEMs and even harder to drive IEMs....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back