iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Nov 17, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #9,076 of 13,503
Quote:

i think I prefer more wolfson dac..

uha uses cirrus logic if i'm not mistaken..

anyways thanks for sharing!

The amp sections is it's bread and butter. I don't bother using the DAC. The amp section is also noticeably better than the one in the DX100 :). I use my DACport LX or DX100 DAC instead of the one in the UHA6. The DAC is just icing on the cake. If you want a transparency monster plug in Op-Amp 209 with the DX100 via the Line out so you are bypassing the UHA6 MKIIs DAC and just using its amp section. You won't find too many portable amps out there that will beat it in transparency/resolving power. Not even the DX100 line out compares in that area.

Also regarding wolfons if you are concerned with Transparency Wolfsons generally lack in that area. They tend to be more so on the warmer side and less detailed (more euphoric). So not sure where that is fitting in if you are looking for the absolute in transparency. The 334s are quite warm as is though. They are intended to be that way due to the tuning, this was even noticeable on my Studio V which isn't a bass monster. It's bass is quite lean and even on that the bass was quite thick and strong. Almost bloated to an extent but not offensive.

Nov 17, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #9,077 of 13,503
Hi Friends.

czqdtc did you instal the 1.2.7 firmware?

Friends, I"ve been using my DX100 with Yuin PK1 and I really like the sound so much but I've been thinking about to buy other headphones.

Do you think HE 400 is a good choice for the DX100?

I've read that HE500 is better but maybe I'll need an amplifier, I have the Fiio E17 but I think this is not in the level that the DX100 deserve. What do you think?

Is the DX100 powerfull enough to make the HE 500 sound good?

Thanks.

I asked this question on the 50 flagship thread and people recommended the he-400 for portable use, because while technically you can use the he-500 on the go with the dx100 you won't be getting the 'best' out of them while the he-400 are much easier to drive.

Nov 17, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #9,078 of 13,503
The amp sections is it's bread and butter. I don't bother using the DAC. The amp section is also noticeably better than the one in the DX100 :). I use my DACport LX or DX100 DAC instead of the one in the UHA6. The DAC is just icing on the cake. If you want a transparency monster plug in Op-Amp 209 with the DX100 via the Line out so you are bypassing the UHA6 MKIIs DAC and just using its amp section. You won't find too many portable amps out there that will beat it in transparency/resolving power. Not even the DX100 line out compares in that area.

Also regarding wolfons if you are concerned with Transparency Wolfsons generally lack in that area. They tend to be more so on the warmer side and less detailed (more euphoric). So not sure where that is fitting in if you are looking for the absolute in transparency. The 334s are quite warm as is though. They are intended to be that way due to the tuning, this was even noticeable on my Studio V which isn't a bass monster. It's bass is quite lean and even on that the bass was quite thick and strong. Almost bloated to an extent but not offensive.

Can you use the dx100 as a dac for pc use?

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #9,080 of 13,503
Wow, e-earphone (in Osaka) is having a pretty decent deal with a 2nd hand HDP-R10 for Y50,000 ($615). No idea about it's actual condition but in general most 2nd hand gear in Japan are well taken care of. Almost tempted to buy it just for the OPA-627. Unfortunately not knowing software support on it worries me a little. I have a gut feeling that iBasso wrote the player for the HDP-R10.

Nov 17, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #9,081 of 13,503
I asked this question on the 50 flagship thread and people recommended the he-400 for portable use, because while technically you can use the he-500 on the go with the dx100 you won't be getting the 'best' out of them while the he-400 are much easier to drive.

The HE500 straight from the DX100 walks all over even an amped HE400. No contest really.

Nov 17, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #9,082 of 13,503
Quote:

Do these people own the DX100 and HE500? :)

Nov 17, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #9,087 of 13,503
Quote:
I Hate You!
biggrin.gif
I was hoping to save some money.....waiiit even with the uha-6s mkii as the amp?

Haven't heard the UHA-6 I'm afraid, but the HE-500 has a much more even presentation than the HE-400. The 400 is great fun, no doubt about it, but the 500 is just... better, I believe. If you already have the DX100 to feed it, I'd say save up some more and get the HE-500 
smile.gif

Nov 17, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #9,088 of 13,503
I have been reading the most recent articles in this forum every weekend for nearly 4 months. I have not read more than 25% of the articles prior to July. I have noted the sporadic mention of the HM-801 and HM-901 by HiFiMan as competitor to the Ibasso DX-100. I went to the Denver Audio Fest to listen to the DX-100 along with a long list of other headphone related items. Ibasso was not there, i.e. I could not find them nor were they listed in the show exhibitor book. I did find the HiFiMan exhibit and they were proudly showing the prototype HM-901. I spoke to a gentleman named Fang, and he happily claimed that this was the best portable sound source on the market. I asked him if he was familiar with the Ibasso DX-100. He said that Ibasso was a very small company and their product was insignificant in comparison to the HM-901. I plugged in my Future Sonics mg6pro in ear monitors and listened for perfection and expected to be overwhelmed. I even found one of the same albums on their large sample list as on my Motorola Droid X smart phone (one of my Nora Jones albums). The Droid X is my listening source, mp3's recorded at 170-210 kbps, I can not hear any difference compared to 220-260 kbps. (I do not know whether I was listening to WAV, MP3, or FLAC on the HM-901). I a/b’d the music on this album for over 20 minutes between the 2 different sound sources and I was, to put it nicely, underwhelmed. The HM-901 was less detailed in all frequency levels, more muddy, and generally flat sounding to me. The EQ was flat on both units. I greatly preferred my standard music program in the Droid X. This was highly surprising. I really was looking for an excuse to get an audiophile grade MP3 player. Without a free return policy on the Ibasso DX-100, I will not purchase an unheard unit, if the DX-100 is supposed to be comparable to the HiFiMan’s unit. Living in Oklahoma City, I guess I will never have this opportunity to hear one. OneTallGuy

Nov 17, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #9,089 of 13,503
Quote:
I have been reading the most recent articles in this forum every weekend for nearly 4 months. I have not read more than 25% of the articles prior to July. I have noted the sporadic mention of the HM-801 and HM-901 by HiFiMan as competitor to the Ibasso DX-100. I went to the Denver Audio Fest to listen to the DX-100 along with a long list of other headphone related items. Ibasso was not there, i.e. I could not find them nor were they listed in the show exhibitor book. I did find the HiFiMan exhibit and they were proudly showing the prototype HM-901. I spoke to a gentleman named Fang, and he happily claimed that this was the best portable sound source on the market. I asked him if he was familiar with the Ibasso DX-100. He said that Ibasso was a very small company and their product was insignificant in comparison to the HM-901. I plugged in my Future Sonics mg6pro in ear monitors and listened for perfection and expected to be overwhelmed. I even found one of the same albums on their large sample list as on my Motorola Droid X smart phone (one of my Nora Jones albums). The Droid X is my listening source, mp3's recorded at 170-210 kbps, I can not hear any difference compared to 220-260 kbps. (I do not know whether I was listening to WAV, MP3, or FLAC on the HM-901). I a/b’d the music on this album for over 20 minutes between the 2 different sound sources and I was, to put it nicely, underwhelmed. The HM-901 was less detailed in all frequency levels, more muddy, and generally flat sounding to me. The EQ was flat on both units. I greatly preferred my standard music program in the Droid X. This was highly surprising. I really was looking for an excuse to get an audiophile grade MP3 player. Without a free return policy on the Ibasso DX-100, I will not purchase an unheard unit, if the DX-100 is supposed to be comparable to the HiFiMan’s unit. Living in Oklahoma City, I guess I will never have this opportunity to hear one. OneTallGuy

The Fang you mentioned is Dr Fang Bian the founder and head honcho of Hifiman so any of his opinions of the competition should be ignored. Also him saying best sound on the market is an outright lie as there is still no release date even at this time or even a price but is rumoured to cost up to $1200 whereas the DX100 is available now for $830.

Nov 17, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #9,090 of 13,503
@OneTallGuy:

a couple thoughts:
1) I'm not gonna pour gasoline on the fire and talk trash about someone I haven't ever had any personal exchange nor interaction with, but there are a lot of people on this forum who's opinions I respect who don't have very nice things to say about Dr. Fang, and so you might want to take whatever he says with some skepticism- I certainly would.

2) The dx100 with the 1.27 update really is something special, and punches well above its price tag.  If you're serious about portable head-fi and have the funds, I think you need to try this one, even if it means buying it.  I haven't seen any on the for sale forum recently, but I know this thing holds its value pretty well because I bought one there a few months ago for $750.  You can always resell it and get a reasonable return.

3)  I'm really surprised that the differences between the droid x- something thats primarily a phone with a music player on the side- sounded better than the hm-901- something thats supposed to be a world-class dedicated audio player that took 2 years to develop.  Don't take this as an insult, but how is your hearing?  IMHO, the difference between audiophile grade and commercial grade listening equipment is very small, and if you have hearing damage, that might explain your disappointment.

just my 2 pennies,
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back