iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Aug 19, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #7,502 of 13,503
Got a DX100 for 4 days now and the only thing I can say is that the experience has been very disappointing so far.
Be advised: the following development will be a negative one.

The device came with an empty battery, which, for such a device, is quite a shame. I wouldn't mind for a cheap entry level product but were talking about a $850 device here...
One could wonder if they actually tested the unit. And the following experience makes me think they did not.

- 1st: the screen is really bad. A very poor 480x320 LCD with absolutelly no view angles. I don't expect a 1280x720 super AMOLED 25+ screen, of course, but at least a 800x480 with good view angles like the ones you find on the HTC Desire or most of the entry-level phones nowadays. It's especially important since the text in the UI is quite small, and it's always nice to see the covers with the original colors, not the inverted ones one gets when one incline the unit, even slightly.

- 2nd: the custom firmware/UI is non-responsive (as if the whole OS is single-threaded!) and buggy. Especially the audio player. I experienced so many freezes/crashes with it that I think I spent more time rebooting the unit than actually listening to the music. Sometimes the music app does not even launch, giving me a nice app-launcher error which forces me to reboot the unit. Playing 3 songs in a row is a feat! On some albums, some track can simply not be played, leaving a nice freezed player which forces me to reboot the unit, again! I tried to revert to 1.1.7 firmware with no benefit.

- 3rd: the only positive point so far is the sound quality. It is indeed very good for a portable unit. Much better than my old cowon s9 or my dad's j3, for what I recall. I left the unit burning-in for one work day but when I came back, it was not playing anymore so I really don't know how much time it had. Anyway, I found the sound edgy and digital out of the box, but after this I-don't-know-how-long burning time, those "disturbances" were gone for the most part and I could really enjoy the sound, for 2 or 3 songs...

I was planning to do a A/B comparison with my Fostex HP-A3 using the s/pdif out (which, for what I heard, is really good) but the messy user experience made it impossible. From early listenings, I think the 2 units sound very close to each/other! They sound quite similar, with the dx100 sounding very slightly on the bright side of the HP-A3 neutral sound signature. But again, I did not have enough listening time to go into a deep comparison.

I won't have more time because I'm returning the dx100: it's no serious (if any) improvement over the HP-A3, which is a very good all-in-one solution (I actually prefer it to my NFB-3.1/m-stage combo for the added bass impact, the greater sense of detail and the bigger presentation, though more wide than deep).

Edit: the headphones used for the (short) testing were HE-500.

Aug 19, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #7,503 of 13,503
Quote:
Got a DX100 for 4 days now and the only thing I can say is that the experience has been very disappointing so far.

The device came with an empty battery, which, for such a device, is quite a shame. I wouldn't mind for a cheap entry level product but were talking about a $850 device here...
One could wonder if they actually tested the unit. And the following experience makes me think they did not.

- 1st: the screen is really bad. A very poor 480x320 LCD with absolutelly no view angles. I don't expect a 1280x720 super AMOLED 25+ screen, of course, but at least a 800x480 with good view angles like the ones you find on the HTC Desire or most of the entry-level phones nowadays. It's especially important since the text in the UI is quite small, and it's always nice to see the covers with the original colors, not the inverted ones one gets when one incline the unit, even slightly.

- 2nd: the custom firmware/UI is non-responsive (as if the whole OS is single-threaded!) and buggy. Especially the audio player. I experienced so many freezes/crashes with it that I think I spent more time rebooting the unit than actually listening to the music. Sometimes the music app does not even launch, giving me a nice app-launcher error which forces me to reboot the unit. Playing 3 songs in a row is a feat! On some albums, some track can simply not be played, leaving a nice freezed player which forces me to reboot the unit, again! I tried to revert to 1.1.7 firmware with no benefit.

- 3rd: the only positive point so far is the sound quality. It is indeed very good for a portable unit. Much better than my old cowon s9 or my dad's j3, for what I recall. I left the unit burning-in for one work day but when I came back, it was not playing anymore so I really don't know how much time it had. Anyway, I found the sound edgy and digital out of the box, but after this I-don't-know-how-long burning time, those "disturbances" were gone for the most part and I could really enjoy the sound, for 2 or 3 songs...

I was planning to do a A/B comparison with my Fostex HP-A3 using the s/pdif out (which, for what I heard, is really good) but the messy user experience made it impossible. From early listenings, I think the 2 units sound very close to each/other! They sound quite similar, with the dx100 sounding very slightly on the bright side of the HP-A3 neutral sound signature. But again, I did not have enough listening time to go into a deep comparison.

I won't have more time because I'm returning the dx100: it's no serious (if any) improvement over the HP-A3, which is a very good all-in-one solution (I actually prefer it to my NFB-3.1/m-stage combo for the added bass impact, the greater sense of detail and the bigger presentation, though more wide than deep).

Agreed that the screen is only satisfactory, but I won't watch the album art while listening to my songs, neither will I use it to watch movies/playing games, so the screen quality is not an issue to me.

Not sure which firmware version you have. For me, after update to 1.2.3, I have no issue on the screen response. I have noticed that in 1.2.3, some flac with tags might cause the music player app to hang and need to restart the machine. The workaround for me is to remove the tag of those flacs and re-tag them using mp3tag.

For the battery, my DX100 could be used for 5-6 hours, with wifi disabled, disabled most UI effects and lowered the screen brightness. Actually if you want to burn-in your DX100, you might need to use the DC power instead of the battery...

Anyway, hope you get another player that is better than the DX100 soon. 
redface.gif

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #7,504 of 13,503
Aug 20, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #7,505 of 13,503
Unfortunate experience. I get no hang-ups and frankly nothing is buggy about the UI in my unit. It all works as intended. I wish I knew what might fix the above unit. I run FLAC, Apple lossless and WAV with no problems. 

Aug 20, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #7,506 of 13,503
I plugged in the DC for the burn-in, of course. What I meant to say is that it got stuck after a few songs, like it always does...
The audio collection is mainly ALAC but the file that makes it crash every time is a standard MP3. All the tags were added with MP3tag.
I'm pretty sure the unit is faulty, but the remark on the screen quality remains valid.

Too bad, I was really thrilled to get a new DAP, like back in the early days of my audiophile journey (S9 + D10 glory). I'm gonna wait for a dx200 that might fix all the annoyances I mentioned. Till then, I guess I have no choice but to get a soloist and pair it with the met rum quad... That's sad, really :)

Aug 20, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #7,507 of 13,503
Quote:
I plugged in the DC for the burn-in, of course. What I meant to say is that it got stuck after a few songs, like it always does...
The audio collection is mainly ALAC but the file that makes it crash every time is a standard MP3. All the tags were added with MP3tag.
I'm pretty sure the unit is faulty, but the remark on the screen quality remains valid.
Too bad, I was really thrilled to get a new DAP, like back in the early days of my audiophile journey (S9 + D10 glory). I'm gonna wait for a dx200 that might fix all the annoyances I mentioned. Till then, I guess I have no choice but to get a soloist and pair it with the met rum quad... That's sad, really :)

Clemmaster a fellow headfier had that same issues with her MP3 files. I helped her sort it out. The type of tags on her MP3 files were not compatible with the DX100. So basically changing the tag format completely solved her issue with the player hanging on her MP3 files. She still has her unit as far as I know. Good luck.

Edit: Here is her post below

Also if you notice she was using high compression for her APE files which I highly recommend against. Many players will have problems reading such files at that level and it will take more battery power as well to decode them. I recommend using -6 at most.

[img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/1/1c/38x38px-ZC-1c35f547_IMG_0932.jpeg[/img]
Girls Generation
May 7, 2012 at 12:29 pm

I converted all my mp3 tags to id3v2.3 UTF-16 because ISO didnt support Korean. Using 3v2.4 UTF-8 the song would freeze like it did with ape

Aug 20, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #7,508 of 13,503
Quote:

1) The list of specs on Ibasso's website could have told you this. As could just about any reviews or this huge thread. I highly recommend a minimum of research before spending $800+ on anything. I agree, the screen is crap. 

2) Just skim through this thread and you will see lots of people having the same issues - most of them clearing up if you allow the unit to finish indexing your media before doing anything else with it. Yes, it could use some more power, but this would cut into the already abysmal battery life. I like that you noticed that it was always the same file that made it crash. Maybe that file has an incompatible encoding or tagging? I have zero files that make my DX100 crash.

3) Damn right it sounds good, even when powering the HE-500 directly. High gain, 220 on the volume and just rock out! Sorry about your wallet but adding an Alo RX mk IIIb to that combo really makes everything sing. 
wink.gif

Aug 20, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #7,509 of 13,503
Quote:

Sounds like you didnt let the device finish indexing your media before you tried to mess with it. You may need to clear the app data for the music processes/services and then reboot it to have it re-index, and then just let it sit for like 10-15mins. I have found that once you do that and it starts working properly, it works very well after that. 

Aug 20, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #7,510 of 13,503
I know I shouldn't quote myself, but the time is coming for me to make a decision and I would really appreciate some input on these subjects.
Thanks!
Quote:
Phew... I just finished reading the whole 499 pages (It took me about a week, not too long each time). I think I'm going to order one next month as soon as my sallary comes. I Just have a few questions I feel haven't been thorougly answered. So I'll just type them:

1- What has happened with the order in which files play after the last firmware update?
I have all my music sorted like this: Artist\Album\## - Track title
Does this method make sense in the DX100? I don't have any tags as I have never bothered to tag my CD-reaps, since the way I't is organized makes perfect sense to me. I also don't use playlists much, only to select in advance which file I want to play next while listening.

2- It has been mentioned that If a not playable file sits in a folder, then the player crashes since it trys to read it (when it is let to play on it's own and eventually gets to it) Does this still happen? I have most of the artwork as separate .jpg files on each folder which has me worried.

3- About EQ, I would like to save different EQ's for different headphones and listening environments, is this possible with Poweramp? Also, is there any parametric EQ app that may work? I don't know if it makes sense, but beeing able to have a parametric EQ would be awesome, for me at least.

4- How does it do with variable bitrate OGG Vorbis (320 kbps average)? Many of my CD-reaps are in this format, and I don't think anything has been mentioned about it.

5- Any thoughts on how does it sound with the ATH - M50? I'll be upgrading headphones as soon as I can but now a DAP is the priority (my cowon A3 broke after a few years of good service, it made me really sad but i'm over it now :p)

6- Has anyone dropped it yet (from more than a few inches as previously commented)? This is only accesory information, but it would be nice to have an idea about how resistant it is

Well I guess that is all, I'm sorry I'm asking so much, I'm just very interested on this device, and I don't expect long answers. I think most of the questions can be answered briefly. So again sorry for writing so much, I wanted to make myself as clear as possible and my english is, to say the least, a little rusty.

Cheers!

Aug 20, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #7,511 of 13,503
Quote:
I know I shouldn't quote myself, but the time is coming for me to make a decision and I would really appreciate some input on these subjects.
Thanks!

Can't answer 4 - 6, but for the others....

1) Still one or two weird things for me.  On the main player if you use CopyInOrder that seems to resolve 99+% of them

2) I have had a few cover.jpgs left over from cleaning up tags and not had any issues

3) Don't use Poweramp, but the iBasso EQ has a number of different preset settings for different music types but only one custom setting.

Aug 20, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #7,513 of 13,503
Dropping:    It depends upon what you drop it on and how it hits the surface. I have dropped mine a few times on a soft surface from about 3 feet. No problem. Oh, I did drop it on a hard surface, concrete once from a few feet. no problem and it must have landed on the back as there wasn't any scratch to the face/glass. 

Aug 21, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #7,514 of 13,503
That indeed seem to be the problem! Going back to 1.1.7 apparently did not clear the cache & data of the music player.
The buggy file now plays without any problem, though is still need to figure out how to not make it skips the 1st few seconds of the file...
I think I will give its chance and do a proper burn-in before any critical listening.

Thank you very much :wink:

Aug 21, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #7,515 of 13,503
For dropping, actually I have dropped (or threw) it on the sofa from about 1m height after I upgraded it to 1.2.3 and found it hanging again lol. After I picked it up and rollback to 1.1.7, it worked again. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back