iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Jun 26, 2012 at 6:58 AM Post #6,571 of 13,503
I'm still debating whether to go for it and live with the failings if the sound is simply that good.
If iBasso will provide an update to the latest Android ICS, I wonder if a lot of these niggles will be resolved then?

Jun 26, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #6,572 of 13,503
I'm still debating whether to go for it and live with the failings if the sound is simply that good.
If iBasso will provide an update to the latest Android ICS, I wonder if a lot of these niggles will be resolved then?

I don't believe the Android OS on the DX100 is a stock standard OS since it can support hirez. Which means even if iBasso rolled out ICS, it'll have to be customized too. Since they haven't ironed out the bugs with the current OS-customized version I highly doubt they will with ICS.

Not to mention ICS is probably more demanding on h/w specs and with the current version it's slow enough as it is.

Jun 26, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #6,573 of 13,503
Quote:

I use WAV, no art work but iBasso states you don't get artwork with WAV and I don't care, use FLAC and have artwork and the rest of the system works just fine. I listen and enjoy music every day with no hang ups, glitches or errors. I use 32gb and 64gb micro cards and find the boot time of the DX100 when the files are built from a new card or new music on the internal memory, to be just over a minute. 

Jun 26, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #6,574 of 13,503
Well, the deed is done 
biggrin.gif

Order has been placed...now the wait 
eek.gif

Anyone know what the turnaround is to the UK?

Jun 26, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #6,575 of 13,503
Got my DX100 this morning. Very solid and compact design. Ended up a bit smaller than I anticipated, and easily fits in the back pocket of my jeans, which is a big plus. Sound quality is great. Not desktop rig great, but the fact you get so much from something so small is pretty amazing. Immediatly I noticed the separation and imaging significantly above the other portable amps/daps I've had. Soundstage seemed a bit wider too.

I really like the android UI, especially after having to deal w/ apple and itunes for the last few years. Seems pretty user user friendly and straightforward, although the stock player is a little bare bones and annoying. On the other hand I had .ape and .cue that I threw on there that I completely did not expect to work and this thing played it without flinching... foobar even needed a codec before it would do that.

Unfortunately my unit arrived with a constellation of about 40 stuck pixels across the left half of the screen, so will probably have to send it back. On top of the SM3 cable I ordered that arrived yesterday with Shure plugs, the audio gods seem to really have it in for me this week.

Other nitpicks: coax cable included is like 6". Yah battery life is pretty bad. No way to forward tracks or pause without turning it on is kind of annoying, I'll have to try that app mentioned earlier. Wifi is pretty weak relative to my iphone as well.

Otherwise I'm really impressed and glad that I never have to look at another LOD or IC.

Jun 26, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #6,576 of 13,503
Quote:
Well folks finally i've got my hands on my unit!, at stage 15 of tracking!

So far so good, the unit is smaller than i was expecting which was a nice surprise and a nice weight with it, build looks very good, but i've found a few problems.

When I connect my unit via Bluetooth, the default custom player will not play via it!.....I have had to d/l a 3rd party music app to get it to work via Bluetooth, but then the volume buttons on the side do not work!

Bluetooth connection wasn't stright forward trying to get connected, the module seemed to "stick" on pair but not connected, and the only way I could "free" it up was via a restart.
I actually think you're the first to try bluetooth audio from the DX100. I've never had BT switched on yet. Don't think I ever will.  

It was nice to see a screen protector already fitted onto my unit, but i feel it's not a good quality one, seems to make the screen "cloudy" and feels "rough to the touch" when using it, which is a pity.
Please share if you find a better screen protector. The one fitted by Ibasso does the job, but not much more than that, I'd say.  

I had already asked in the forum about UK power for the unit and was advised that a standard 2pin shaver plug will work, but it doesn't!.....The actual 2 pins on the Ibasso lead are a lot smaller in diameter than our UK shaver type leads, and as such it must be failing to make contact with a UK 2 pin shaver adapter!  
Luckliy I have a universal adapter from Maplin and pluged into this it works a treat!
What the hell? I just dug out a standard "figure 8" cable from the drawer, plugged it in and went on my way.  

Also whats with the small component lead supplied, what is the idea behind that ?...and why so short ?
Here's a hint: 3.5mm to RCA component adapter. Not lead. Adapter. Add an extender.  
Music :- I had some music in lossless wav format, but when on the unit the Artist was not shown or the album art, even though this was present on the PC held file.
Wav does not support tags. Your playback software on your computer may store tags though, but they cannot be embedded in the file.    
So I re-ripped again in Flac Lossless and this managed to get the artist listed but still no album art! (I think this is a known bug from previous threads) So at the moment I had to use cover art app to get the artwork, although this app seems to be storing the art in a separate area on the unit to the music.
This has been discussed about 5 gazillion times throughout the thread and is a know limitation of the DX100.

Jun 26, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #6,577 of 13,503
Quote:

Go for it - As soon as the music starts playing, all its shortcomings will be forgiven. UI is better than that of the J3 and the DX100 is much less quirky than the HM601. Sonically, it leaves both of them in the dust. 

Oh and the Pro 900 sounds awesome from the DX100 
wink.gif

Jun 26, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #6,578 of 13,503
I use WAV, no art work but iBasso states you don't get artwork with WAV and I don't care, use FLAC and have artwork and the rest of the system works just fine. I listen and enjoy music every day with no hang ups, glitches or errors. I use 32gb and 64gb micro cards and find the boot time of the DX100 when the files are built from a new card or new music on the internal memory, to be just over a minute. 

I am also using only .wav files and have had no functional issues or obvious bugs since upgrading to 1.1.7. I have only one app (FreqGen) which I use for audio testing. It has worked flawlessly since installing on my DX100. Screen response is very fast and accurate. I have experienced no lagging or freezes at all. I am a happy camper!

Jun 27, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #6,579 of 13,503
[size=medium]Mine was delivered Monday, lovely piece of kit defiantly weightier than I was expecting, I have a few questions hopefully the DX100 gurus can answer.[/size]

• [size=medium]Should I upgrade / downgrade the firm ware from the stock version, I think it’s 1.1.7 (most recent batch)[/size]
  • [size=medium]All of my CD are ripped music is in Apple Lossless, I’m willing to re-rip all of my CD’s if there is a noticeable improvement to a different format. I only use an Apple computer so any programme will have to be compatible with this.[/size]
  • [size=medium]Should I use a different playback programme such as Poweramp, I currently use Poweramp on my android phone and am happy with the UI.[/size]
  • [size=medium]I’m from the UK and the units power cord came with a EU plug, is it ok for me to just cut it off and replace with a stock 3 pin 240v mains plug or do I need a transformer.[/size]
  • [size=medium]I would like to obtain some hi res music can you guys give me some advice of where to download this (if there are some “cough” free sites please PM me)[/size]
  • [size=10pt]Does anyone know of a good protective case I can get (a link would be great) or a travel case and playback case would be good obviously not too much money (under £100 for the two )[/size]

[size=medium]As it stands I’m playing apple lossless off of the internal memory through my JH16 pros all I can say so far is WOW amazing transparent sound with beautiful detail and lots of power. [/size]

[size=medium]I also want to thank you guys at HeadFi my 16pros and the DX100 have been purchased solely on the basis of you reviews, although the misses found the receipt of the DX100 the other day and nearly put me out on the street it was worth every penny J[/size]

[size=medium]Thanks in advance for your replies on the above questions, apologies if some of them have already been answered.[/size]

Jun 27, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #6,580 of 13,503
Since all your music is in  Apple lossless I don't see any reason to deviate from it. I'm not sure if they've resolved the tag issues yet for Apple lossless. If this is the case then it may be worth converting over to flac but that is if your tags don't work and you want them too.

Regarding the plug I'd make sure to get one that is compatible with your unit and not play around wit cutting wires. Make sure to contact ibasso to find a compatible plug if you can't get the correct answer here. If you are looking for a carrying case look for a camera case and that should do the trick. If anything just make sure its medium sized and not small and it should work.

Jun 27, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #6,581 of 13,503
Quote:
Well, the deed is done 
biggrin.gif

Order has been placed...now the wait 
eek.gif

Anyone know what the turnaround is to the UK?

Ordered on the Monday they came back in stock and received it the following Monday. It actually arrived in the UK by the Friday but was held by DHL for payment of VAT.

UK users can use a standard UK figure 8 lead with the supplied charger - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-Cord-Plug-Figure-Cable/dp/B003OSYX1W/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1340808043&sr=8-4

One thing I have installed which I never considered is Spotify. Just adds another level of usability. Make sure you select extreme quality for streaming/download. I generally turn wireless off after downloading tracks through spotify.

Still getting used to the unit and converting my favourite CD's to FLAC. Sound is great and again I am listening to tracks with new ears.

edit - Just to echo the comment by Micky above - Cheers to all here as the feedback and in particular this thread were invaluable in my decision to purchase this unit. I was a little braver and told my wife how much it cost but now I have my ears in it doesn't matter that she's not speaking to me :p

Jun 27, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #6,582 of 13,503
Yes thanks for all the help here.

I now have a problem with the SD card, I'm unable to format it to FAT32!...Its a Sandisk 64gb Micro SDXC UHS Speed Class 1 & class 10

Can anyone advise the procedure to get this working with my DX100 ?

Jun 27, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #6,583 of 13,503
Jun 27, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #6,584 of 13,503

*very late edit*

Not sure why but when I just tried to use cmd prompt format on my 2nd 64GB card it wouldn't work - it may be one of my previous attempts to format my first card changed something and allowed this to work. I used the link in the post above by Roffensian on my latest card and that utility worked straight away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back