iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Jun 4, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #6,241 of 13,503
Quote:
Not good news. I wanted to use the coax into JH 3a's

Remember Coax is digital output.  So the DAC (?) in the JH 3a may be better than the one that was use in this post.  Your mileage may vary.

Jun 4, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #6,243 of 13,503
Quote:
[Snip!] Using the Coax out to a DAC, it sounds pretty woeful, very slow and muddy bass.......and congested sounding too. Was quite disappointed.

Interesting. I didn't have the same impression feeding my DX100 to my Benchmark DAC1 Pre via the coax.

Jun 4, 2012 at 7:40 AM Post #6,245 of 13,503
I tried using the DX100 as a transport with a variety of DACs from 1K to a few 65K+ CDP

Cable is a specially made silver/gold 3.5mm to RCA, probably not a true 75ohm though, I used the stock cable too which was even worst! The majority of the try outs were on very high end home systems. But having said that, the synergy weren't too good on my desktop V800 DAC + V200 amp.

Jun 4, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #6,246 of 13,503
As a transport it is just delivering the digital information so I don't see how it would muddy the bass etc unless the actual output of the DX is wrong. I have tried it with a couple of dacs and it worked fine, no messing of the sound. 

Jun 4, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #6,247 of 13,503
Quote:
As a transport it is just delivering the digital information so I don't see how it would muddy the bass etc unless the actual output of the DX is wrong. I have tried it with a couple of dacs and it worked fine, no messing of the sound. 

That must be right-If the transport section is bad then everything would sound bad-headphone out, line-out, optical out as well as coax out. Must be some other problem.

Jun 4, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #6,248 of 13,503
Quote:

Actually...I can't speak about the DX100 as I don't have any issues with it from a transport perspective nor do I know how they function inside. However, I do have a VentureCraft Go-DAP 4.0 of which the Optical Out implementation produces a very dull/flat signature out to the same Benchmark DAC1 Pre. It doesn't produce the same kind of sound to its own internal DAC/Amp. Talking to the VentureCraft chap, it's cos the Go-DAP Optical Out is always up-sampled to 48kHz from the whatever the original files are always, which seems to cause that dull/flat signature. i.e. the Go-DAP's implementation of the circuity to the Optical Out is different what is managed by its internal DAC.

That is, I'd keep the possibility open that the data the DX100 sends to its internal ES9018 could potentially be different to what it sends out to it's transport ports (optical or coax).

P.S. VentureCraft appears to have "fixed' it's Go-DAP issue in the new Go-DAP X and just passes through what the original source file's sampling rate is.

Jun 4, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #6,249 of 13,503
Guys, the Dx100 needs to make a soundstage that is 2'by3'by8'' at most. It isnt going to sound bad in that perspective.

Once you plug it into a revealing system all the shortfalls are going to be shown. You are not going to say that using the DX100 as a transport is going to out perform a Vekian Opus transport or Soulution 745. Let's be realistic here. 

The DX100 is an excellent DAP and very good when used with it's line out.

Jun 4, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #6,250 of 13,503
I had the opportunity to listen to bozebutton's DX100 and I gotta say if I was able to understand how to use it better (and I'm an Android user for years now) I would totally be an owner right now. I thought the output from the device was really something special and paired wonderfully with my CIEM's more so than any other portable setup I heard at the NY Head-Fi Meet up this weekend. I'll be looking out for news of updates and hopefully will be purchasing one of the DX100's in the future. Truly a wonderful piece of audio gear that if some of it's major pitfalls were fixed I would love to own.

So I'm a bit clearer about my problems with the device, I honestly had no idea how to navigate or do anything. I only heard what bozebutton's DX100 was already playing at the time I picked it up and took a listen. I did change volume pretty easily though, so that's a plus.

Jun 4, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #6,251 of 13,503
Quote:
Guys, the Dx100 needs to make a soundstage that is 2'by3'by8'' at most. It isnt going to sound bad in that perspective.

Once you plug it into a revealing system all the shortfalls are going to be shown. You are not going to say that using the DX100 as a transport is going to out perform a Vekian Opus transport or Soulution 745. Let's be realistic here. 

The DX100 is an excellent DAP and very good when used with it's line out.

I have not hooked the DX into a home speaker system but have had a few emails from those who have and have read on here from a few that have and they had very good results. As far as sound that is only with my head, I can understand your statement about the size of soundstage you mention but will also state that I get, on well recorded music a very large out of head soundstage that can be very realistic. I wish my home speaker system was set up as I would be right there with my own ears but I don't see that happening for a long time as I am too much on the move, which makes the DX a great device for my life style and varied headphones. 

Jun 4, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #6,252 of 13,503
Quote:
I have not hooked the DX into a home speaker system but have had a few emails from those who have and have read on here from a few that have and they had very good results. As far as sound that is only with my head, I can understand your statement about the size of soundstage you mention but will also state that I get, on well recorded music a very large out of head soundstage that can be very realistic. I wish my home speaker system was set up as I would be right there with my own ears but I don't see that happening for a long time as I am too much on the move, which makes the DX a great device for my life style and varied headphones. 

What do you have for a home system?

Jun 4, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #6,253 of 13,503
Quote:
What do you have for a home system?

A dac that I built up from Audio Note UK, with  Audio Note output transformers that are nickel steel double C core (700 each), and input transformer for the dac of high purity silver and a tube analog output stage of my own design with power supplies for each and every section. A preamp that I built around 1929 to 1933 #27 tubes (Sylvania mesh plate) and a special output transformer with double power supplies with dual 6X4 rectifiers in each one, custom 6 pack Cary mono amps, and some hybrid speakers from Canada, Newform Research 645 with the top of the line speaker section the Dual ScanSpeak Revelator, all with ultra pure silver internal wiring and IC's including the power cables. The most realistic system I have ever heard, but then I would say that since I built it up over the years and am biased. 

On my DX100, changing out a few caps for the Black Gate non polar has been a nice improvement, though I was happy with it before but nothing beats a BLack Gate, IMO after having used them for years and comparing them to most everything else, especially the non polar with regards to being better than other caps. They also seem to have a very long shelf life as my NOS 6 year old BG's still test fine with the normal low esr, leakage and true capacitance within 5 percent of what they are rated at with no reforming. 

Jun 6, 2012 at 3:58 AM Post #6,254 of 13,503
First ibasso DX100 DIY MODER For Taiwan(Country on Earth)

SUPER E-cap for ibasso DX100 is no problem,and listening is fine

Listening my mod ibasso DX100,byebye

Jun 6, 2012 at 4:33 AM Post #6,255 of 13,503
Quote:

SUPER E-cap for ibasso DX100 is no problem,and listening is fine

Listening my mod ibasso DX100,byebye

Is this really the first? I recall seeing photos of modded/replaced caps from Taiwan in this thread before. You can search in this thread.

Anyhow, hope its worth it and hope it sounds good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back