iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Apr 26, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #5,266 of 13,503

Quote:
Things are more upfront with it closed. But I am curious if this is using Android boosted EQ and I'm pretty sure it is this way.

Agreed - it depends on the music, your headphones and your preferences. Think of "Closed" as "Instant Grado" 
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #5,267 of 13,503

Quote:

Agreed - it depends on the music, your headphones and your preferences. Think of "Closed" as "Instant Grado" 
biggrin.gif

I'm using them with my Silver IE80s and with the Closed (I'm sure that means off, they really should just put off and on lol) the details kinda get overbearing and can mask other details. With Open the Sound stage is significantly bigger IMO and there is much more balance, air, and I can pick up more detail overall. The best part, I can turn it up a bit more without fatigue. But closed does sound nice I mus admit with certain songs. I still even prefer Power Amp while listening to 60/70s music it just sounds so engaging. Donna summer "On the radioooo" :). Then again that's a preference and mood situation :wink:. I think with the EQ this player is the winner hands down. I tend to use medium gain to bring the vocals to my preferred position. Otherwise you get too much of that stadium effect...

Apr 26, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #5,268 of 13,503
I don't know if anyone finds this useful but when you see the Media process running (in Settings/Applications/Running Services), it means your DAP isn't ready to run the Music Player app yet. You'll get the "<blah> not responding".

You have to wait till the Media process finishes (and disappears from the Running Services menu) :-

Apr 26, 2012 at 7:48 AM Post #5,269 of 13,503

Quote:
I don't know if anyone finds this useful but when you see the Media process running (in Settings/Applications/Running Services), it means your DAP isn't ready to run the Music Player app yet. You'll get the "<blah> not responding".

You have to wait till the Media process finishes (and disappears from the Running Services menu) :-

Thanks for the heads up. I've noticed this a while back as I've shut it down to find not all my music had loaded to the now playing list lol.

Apr 26, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #5,270 of 13,503
I think "open" and "closed" in the EQ is just bad translation on iBasso's part.

Both "open" and "enabled" can be written as “开” (kai) in Chinese, while "closed" and "disabled/off" is "关“ (guan) in Chinese. So I suspect that it is translated without any context.

Apr 26, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #5,275 of 13,503
The Lock Screen is gone in the new Firmware, don't need to install "No Lock" App....:D

Yes, I noticed that, on the train into work, a couple of hours ago. I thought it was really funny that no one had noticed, probably because everyone else uses 'No-lock' installed as their first order of business (I refuse to accept Google Play terms of service, so I've never installed it). So nice not to have to unlock just to change the volume each time!

Apr 26, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #5,276 of 13,503
I am really surprised with the positive change in sound with the new firmware. The detail is very natural and the sound just flows. It is tubelike in presentation with excellent dimension, transparency and pace. 

Apr 26, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #5,277 of 13,503
I think you can adjust the volume now with the screen lock off???

Apr 26, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #5,278 of 13,503
Been messing around with this post update. I ditched Go Launcher during the update and see no reason to go back to it - everything is noticeably faster, more responsive and it uses less memory (for whatever that's worth) than before the update using Go launcher.

Very, very pleased with this thing.

For anyone using the DX around home I can't recommend BubbleUPnP enough. It gives me access to my full library, allows me to stream from my desktop using Foobar to the DX, and for anyone using Logitech's Music Server it acts an additional, better sounding SBTouch. If you buy the full version you can even stream your stuff over the internet to where ever you happen to be - haven't tried that yet as I have no need/desire to do that. The only downside is it's hamstrung by Android's sample rate limitations, so those with 192 files don't get that benefit - however unlike PowerAmp it still plays those files, just not at their native sample rate.

This little brick offers a lot of functionality.

Apr 26, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #5,279 of 13,503
The beast is maturing. :^) Now to try more headphones again with this new firmware. HE-500 will be up next. 

Apr 26, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #5,280 of 13,503
I'll be interested to hear how you get on. I bought some HE-500s from Chris_Himself. They've been stuck in UK Customs for the last 36 hours (groan).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back