iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Apr 2, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #3,617 of 13,503
I have some issues but I don't think that their related to my Sandisk 64Gb card.   More like the normal bugs reported around in this thread.  Still really enjoying the sound though.

I have almost 5k files internal and on the card with about 2 gig free in both areas.  Some high def and most regular CD FLAC files. My setup is using folders based on genre with Albums listing in each folder.

Apr 2, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #3,618 of 13,503
Bummer, I am not all that much up on Android so I didn't know that the 64gb wasn't recommended. 

On some recordings, where the sound is offstage or far right or left, it is freaky with the DX100. I am looking around thinking something is going on in the room or outside! 

Apr 2, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #3,619 of 13,503

Quote:
Bummer, I am not all that much up on Android so I didn't know that the 64gb wasn't recommended. 

On some recordings, where the sound is offstage or far right or left, it is freaky with the DX100. I am looking around thinking something is going on in the room or outside! 

It does really well at soundstaging, I agree.  The separation and localization of specific instruments and sounds within space quite good, especially for headphones, much less IEM's.  Usually the space is more diffused and small in my own experience.  It still remains quite small (in your head) but the illusion is there with greater specificity than I'd expect from IEM's.  It's one of the ways the implementation of what they've done really shines. 

Apr 2, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #3,620 of 13,503

Quote:
Just loaded a couple of gigs of Alison Krauss (lossless 16/44) onto my internal memory (I already have many gigs on my SDXC card) and now all I'm getting is black screen and occasional 'force close / wait' prompts. Seems like it's a firmware issue for me..

Are you using ALAC files? If you do - it's the issue of the Music player. All you have to do is wait till it unfreezes. If you wait more than 10 mins then try to reset it and then wait once more till it unfreezes. The source of the issue is that iBasso used the stock Android player as a basis for their own app. The stock Android player does not support the ALAC files. So as I see it it was poorly implemented and when the Music app tries to read tags index these files it is constantly counting reading errors hence the waiting time.

Apr 2, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #3,621 of 13,503

Quote:
Are you using ALAC files? If you do - it's the issue of the Music player. All you have to do is wait till it unfreezes. If you wait more than 10 mins then try to reset it and then wait once more till it unfreezes. The source of the issue is that iBasso used the stock Android player as a basis for their own app. The stock Android player does not support the ALAC files. So as I see it it was poorly implemented and when the Music app tries to read tags index these files it is constantly counting reading errors hence the waiting time.

I used only FLAC and AIFF.  No ALAC at all.  I had very similar stalls and wait times while it indexed the files. 

Apr 2, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #3,622 of 13,503

Is iBasso DX100 :) not DX1000.And the bugs will be fixed, also the ICS will be out in the ear future.So a good DAP will become better.There is no other portable music device out there to soun any close to DX100.

Quote:
i have pre-ordered a dx1000 and received an email for the rest of the payment on payypal but i an hesitant after hearing about the bugs.Is there a amp and dac  combo alternative that comes close to the sound quality. I really want to buy the Dx1000 but for 800 dollar i want a better guarentee it will work out of the box . I do not intend to return it and obsorb the cost of shipping it  back to china over manufactors defect. i hear great things about the sound quality and customer service but before i give myself and ibasso a headache i just want  to know close in cost and sound qualities amp/dap alternatives i have to the dx1000 before pulling the trigger. Do not get me wrong i do have a tolerance for the flaws in the dx1000 but some of you on here have better insite into alternatives or lack there of.  

Apr 2, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #3,623 of 13,503
This thread reminds me a lot of one I read about Skyrim. That game is quite buggy too but is still the best game ever made. My DX100 is on it's way and as long as the hardware is good, software updates will only make it better.

Apr 2, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #3,624 of 13,503
Installed the Poweramp and Unlock apps on my DX100 yesterday. What an improvement in functionality. The stock music player really does suck in direct comparison with Poweramp. I have a handful of 24/192 FLACs which i'll have to use the stock player for, otherwise it's Poweramp all the way for me! Best DAP i've ever owned by a long way and all of my IEMs and phones sound superb on it.

Apr 2, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #3,625 of 13,503
So my DX100 is now a one song wonder! After I play one song, my player decides to give up and not do anything. It doesn't allow me to go to the detailed player nor will it allow me to play any other track until I completely restart it. Then the cycle starts all over again. Emailed iBasso, hopefully they can help.

Apr 2, 2012 at 5:26 AM Post #3,626 of 13,503
One thing I learned yesterday that we can do with the DX100 that the new iPad seems to be having trouble with is charging while playing.  I was using the DX100 all afternoon while it charge to 100% from less than 20%.  All over the Internet I read about an problem with the new iPad in that for some it will not charge while in use.

Apr 2, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #3,627 of 13,503
DigitalFreak here.

Some of you on this thread know me quite well and others on here have no idea who I am. It really is no never mind who I am I'm just another music nut who runs all over these threads like most of you trying to gleam whatever information I can from others. When the DX100 was first announced I was one of the first people to hear about it and kept my eyes glued on the anticipation thread waiting like so many others on here. My excitement was tapered once it was announced because as much as I wanted the newest greatest sounding new DAP to hit the market inside I knew I could never justify the high cost that iBasso was asking. Never the less I kept my eyes glued to this thread over the last few weeks in anticipation of the reviews. A couple of people I befriended on here were lucky enough to have first crack at buying the DX100 and as I type this another online friend of mine is waiting on her unit to arrive.

Over the last few weeks as I've read the incoming reviews and as time has gone by my excitement has waned from excitement to relief that I didn't spend my hard earned money. Ladies and gentlemen this is going to be a very unpopular viewpoint for many of you and I'd like to emphasize that I am not trying to troll or slam a company. Truth be known I highly respect iBasso and have another friend who is a head-fier in my city who owns a nice iBasso mobile product. Here's the problem I'm seeing developing in this thread from many different individuals concerning the DX100 summed up in one word. DENIAL. I won't say everyone on this thread is guilty of denial but there are enough, Ladies and gentlemen you all paid over 750 bones plus shipping for a high end fully functional player. What you all got for your hard earned money in my opinion is nothing short of a paper weight. Here's the major problem you all should and have to remember when evaluating your purchase. The DX100 is a mobile DAP and nothing more and as such you should be able to load your music up and go, end of story. Thus far all I'm reading is problems concerning songs cutting out, music not playing in the right order, album tracks not playing in order, people having to pay extra for a player app that performs as a proper player, album art not being displayed, people having to organize music on their PC and retag it, background processes draining the battery, vocals sounding like the chipmunks and on and on and on.

Ladies and gentlemen you can all call me a fool if you wish but my view is if I spend over 750 bones on a DAP that DAP better be good enough so that when I plug it into my PC or insert a memory card into it I have to waste minimal time organizing everything and definitely minimal time troubleshooting problems. For over 750 bones the DX100 should be unbox it, charge it, load the tunes up, plug in my IEM's and go, end of story. People can hate all they want on the Sony Z series and the Apple DAP's but the fact of the matter is Apple has the best UI in the business and Sony when it comes to their DAP's isn't that far behind either. Both these companies DAP's you unbox them, you charge them, you load your tunes, plug in your IEM's and walk out the door rocking out. That's not the case with the DX100 and therefore as far as I'm concerned it's a failure and until iBasso can directly address these problems in a timely manner it will remain a failure.

It doesn't matter how many of you think the DX100 sounds great and you can all rant and rave about it's sound quality at the end of the day the DX100 is still a buggy DAP with a mediocre UI to boot. Because of that in the world of DAP's it's a failure and will be nothing more. I write this not to talk down to the DX100 owners, truth be known I hope in the end your new DAP's all work smoothly, I write this as a warning to others who are thinking in investing serious money into a good sounding DAP. For the money being paid there's by far better DAP's out there that won't frustrate it's owner. I think I've said my piece and if you all will excuse me I think it's time I excused myself from this thread.

DigitalFreak out.

Apr 2, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #3,628 of 13,503

Quote:
Correction: I didn't say that.  In my case the software still shows access to the "Internal Storage" and it is entirely available to open, and shows it properly within every directory - The contents, however, are just a mirror of the contents of the micro-SD card.  Clicking on any will just play that cut off the micro-SD card.  The actual contents of the internal storage is entirely disappeared with my micro-SD card mounted.  Both Poweramp and MusicPlayer only see the songs on the micro-SD card, but the directory still is available for the internal storage.  Hope that's clear. 

Come to think of it recently I had an issue where not all my folders were showing up. I'm not sure if it was due to using Drive sort but regardless only my files from my SD card where showing up in both power amp and the main music player. I ended up reformatting both cards with SDFormatter and reloaded my files. This time I also made a "Music" folder and dragged and dropped it into the internal memory instead of dragging and dropping the artist folders. This time things came out more organized and the Capitalization all showed up opposed to everything being in lower case. Not sure if you tried doing the above and ensuring all your music is in a music folder.

Apr 2, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #3,629 of 13,503
I was able to get 40% of the album covers using dx100 and the album art app
With my note and the same sdcard removed from dx100 and reformatted then copied the same files the app was able to download 95%!???????? I have no explanation

Apr 2, 2012 at 5:42 AM Post #3,630 of 13,503

Quote:
DigitalFreak here.

It doesn't matter how many of you think the DX100 sounds great and you can all rant and rave about it's sound quality at the end of the day the DX100 is still a buggy DAP with a mediocre UI to boot. Because of that in the world of DAP's it's a failure and will be nothing more. I write this not to talk down to the DX100 owners, truth be known I hope in the end your new DAP's all work smoothly, I write this as a warning to others who are thinking in investing serious money into a good sounding DAP. For the money being paid there's by far better DAP's out there that won't frustrate it's owner. I think I've said my piece and if you all will excuse me I think it's time I excused myself from this thread.  
DigitalFreak out.

At this time this is the bottom line  (See above).... Based on the sound i am hearing I do hope this will not be true four weeks or even two weeks from now with the 1.07 Firmware coming our way.  I hope iBasso refrains from taking new orders until these issue are mostly handled.  I say mostly since some of these issues relate to more than what a DAP is required to do....Hopefully iBasso will focus on DAP functionality rather than everything that has been mentioned; i.e., WiFi for one example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back