iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Mar 29, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #3,091 of 13,503
Well the trend seems to be quite clear. SQ-wise, the DX100 is stellar. Operationally on the other handseems to be some shortcomings. Having good sound is important but so is being able to get to that sound (i.e. getting it to play!).

One thing I mentioned before which I noticed no one else has (and I guess it's merely 'cos no one else has tried), using the DX100 as a transport into an external DAC is amazing. I actually prefer using my DX100 as the transport over my iMac! Desperately hunting around for a longer 3.5mm->coax cable now.

Mar 29, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #3,092 of 13,503
Quote:
A few other preliminary observations:

- Nasty 'pop' sound when switching the unit on - this could potentially damage sensitive IEMs - iBasso, I'm really disappointed that you allowed this through to production!

Quote:
Yes. I got a freaking big shock from the LOUD pop sound since I put on my custom before turning on the device.

Is this the first time we're hearing about this? Any owners from the initial batch owners also have this issue? Or was it just something only 2nd batch owners are noticing? I don't recall seeing any earlier posts about this.

Mar 29, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #3,093 of 13,503
Agree with bmiamihk.

There's a lot of good stuff going on with the DX100. I'd try to see how much I can enjoy it and wait to figure out how many of these bugs are really showstoppers.

The pop only comes at power on, yes? Most of the time the DX will be in standby mode or playing, no?

Mar 29, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #3,094 of 13,503
Quote:
I am actually not too concerned about this because I've heard it on all the iBasso amps I've owned previously and gotten used to it. Always a loud pop when I turned on the amp...

The 'pop' sound from the DX100 is the loudest I have heard from a head-fi setup thus far. It is far louder than playing songs at the maximum volume on my iPod (note that the sensitivity on my custom is 120db/mw so iPod can drive it to darn loud)

@Pudu; Yes so far only during power up and hopefully it will stay that way.

Mar 29, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #3,095 of 13,503

Quote:
Well we humans were built to solve problems and we easily can focus on what is not right but how about what is right on the DX100? To all that found some faults what do you like about the DX100? Do you like the sound even though it is not burned in yet? If the issues you found are great do you want to see if you can return it or sell it?

How can I put this? I really do like the sound of the DX100 but if HifiMan come up with an 802/901 which sounds almost as good, and doesn't put several thousand dollars worth of CIEMs at risk every time I switch it on, then I may very well jump ship. It's a real shame as I seriously do like the DX100 SQ.

Mar 29, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #3,096 of 13,503

The Dx100 has a lot more power that pop is the power.
Quote:
The 'pop' sound from the DX100 is the loudest I have heard from a head-fi setup thus far. It is far louder than playing songs at the maximum volume on my iPod (note that the sensitivity on my custom is 120db/mw so iPod can drive it to darn loud)

Mar 29, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #3,097 of 13,503
I just found what caused the track to restart - it is a bug, but at least now I've found what the actual trigger is for this behaviour - when the gyro sense that the unit is re-orientated (even slightly), the track being played is restarted from the beginning

...Yes, I will also post this in the bug thread, thanks turokrocks

I've been trying to recreate this and cannot. Does it happen in a particular app or screen?

Mar 29, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #3,098 of 13,503

Quote:

Is this the first time we're hearing about this? Any owners from the initial batch owners also have this issue? Or was it just something only 2nd batch owners are noticing? I don't recall seeing any earlier posts about this.

Yes, I hear this on the initial batch. Didn't report because I thought this is same behaviour as my previous iBasso amps.

Quote:

I don't know about the second batch but the pop sound on my first batch DX100 wasn't that loud at all. Yes, that pop sound only happens during power up (this is after updating to latest firmware)

Mar 29, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #3,099 of 13,503

Quote:
I've been trying to recreate this and cannot. Does it happen in a particular app or screen?

On the basis of you being unable to replicate what I experienced, I've gone back and replicated what I did:

I accessed the music track via ES File Explorer. Just tried accessing it only via the player explorer and it's not doing it, so I guess it must be a bug in ES File Explorer.

Can you please try on your DX100 to select a music track/song via the App 'ES File Explorer', and see if you can then tilt the player and interrupt playback that way?

Mar 29, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #3,100 of 13,503

Quote:
Yes, I hear this on the initial batch. Didn't report because I thought this is same behaviour as my previous iBasso amps.

I don't know about the second batch but the pop sound on my first batch DX100 wasn't that loud at all. Yes, that pop sound only happens during power up (this is after updating to latest firmware)

Oh, it's pretty darned loud on the second batch, believe me - my poor CIEMs may have been lucky to survive. The problem is that although I've learned this lesson, there will inevitably be occurrences when I forget and my CIEMs could be severely damaged. Presumably, if the first batch didn't pop loudly, then this is, as has been mentioned, something to do with the capacitor changes. This is unacceptable for a 'reference' product, in my view.

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #3,101 of 13,503
On the basis of you being unable to replicate what I experienced, I've gone back and replicated what I did:

I accessed the music track via ES File Explorer. Just tried accessing it only via the player explorer and it's not doing it, so I guess it must be a bug in ES File Explorer.

Can you please try on your DX100 to select a music track/song via the App 'ES File Explorer', and see if you can then tilt the player and interrupt playback that way?

Correct, opening the file via ES does result in that behaviour.

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #3,102 of 13,503

SWEET
beerchug.gif
 I like very much!

Quote:
Well the trend seems to be quite clear. SQ-wise, the DX100 is stellar. Operationally on the other handseems to be some shortcomings. Having good sound is important but so is being able to get to that sound (i.e. getting it to play!).

One thing I mentioned before which I noticed no one else has (and I guess it's merely 'cos no one else has tried), using the DX100 as a transport into an external DAC is amazing. I actually prefer using my DX100 as the transport over my iMac! Desperately hunting around for a longer 3.5mm->coax cable now.

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #3,103 of 13,503
Mine is out for delivery. 

The lettering on the DX100 is laser, not paint. Just use a loop and you can easily see that is is "laser" engraved. 

On UI, I would imagine iBasso will see the comments here. 

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #3,104 of 13,503

Quote:

I just noticed your setup, sweet! I look forward to more impressions. 

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #3,105 of 13,503
Just to update everyone, my suspected bug about the player still showing directory content for SDcards no longer present, was incorrect and a mistake on my part (hey, we're all human). I'd unknowingly duped a few folders from my HDD (folders that are also present on my old 32gb SDcard) onto my new 64gb card this morning. I don't know how it happened but I openly admit that I have now realised that it did. Apologies to iBasso, and I've updated my relevant post in the 'DX100 bugs' thread. Apologies to all for any potential confusion arising from my bleary-eyed file-moving incompetence first thing this morning! 
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back