iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Mar 28, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #3,047 of 13,503
Which 6 bro?

Quote:
I promise No more pictures after these
bigsmile_face.gif

I am very proud of this cable, as it was made to spec for me, silver/gold hybrid 3.5mm to RCA Oyaide plugs.

I have received a new portable amp today, on the right, initial impressions, are not bad at all
tongue_smile.gif
. This isn't the appropriate place to write about it, but I will post pictures on another thread, it is pretty nice to look at and this picture does it no justice.

This set up is waiting for it's mate
wink_face.gif

This uses the same silver/gold hybrid cable

This cable is in burn in mode with the new Triad and what I bought Monday
bigsmile_face.gif

Another pair of Westone W4, this time the R version!!!

I have heard this whole set up briefly and this daisy chain of silver/gold hybrid cables with the W4Rs is a pretty incredible sounding rig...............you will never believe that the W4s can sound this good!!!

The iBasso DX100 definitely does a good job completing this Bedside rig of mine. I still have a few weird and wonderful tweaks to add.......watch this space
wink_face.gif
!!!

beerchug.gif
 I have made up a list of CIEMs to purchase, I have 6 on the list so far, going to get all the ear impressions done in one go
confused_face_2.gif
, that will be a fun afternoon!

Mar 29, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #3,049 of 13,503
Quote:
Just arrived recalled mine.
But can't connect wifi...
frown.gif

I agree with you. The Wifi on te DX100 is really unreliable. I connect, then it disconnects. It's very hard to connect again. It's almost better to yank out the Wifi circuitry and make the thing smaller.
I have a complete Apple network at home (Airport Exporess, Time Capsule, etc.) & I don't know if it's anti-Apple compatibility but I'm not going to rush out to buy a router just to test this theory.

Quote:

That's a real shame, although I can't imagine why a 1.2GHz chip couldn't handle such basic functionality on something like the DX100 (while the ESS9018 is busy doing all the DAC tasks). I wonder why that's so. Something really isn't streamlined properly in there. Perhaps an the DX100 is not indexing songs as some other members had alluded to in earlier posts?

Yes I saw the claim however at least to me, it doesn't seem to behave like a 1.2GHz chip. I've seen other (older) Androids with slower CPUs that perform better than this. It does index. 'cos after leaving it for an hour, the player does return back with the albums. Thereafter it's "fast" again. But once I sync and update the songs, then it goes through the process again.

I'm listening to one of my FLACs via Poweramp now & attempting to connect to Android Market/Google Play and I occasionally get some music disruption; presumably due to the CPU or onboard memory.

Once I successfully get WiFi connection and connect to Google Play, I'll try to download some system info.

Edit: Wifi dropped again.

Mar 29, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #3,050 of 13,503
The DX100 is really an esoteric, finicky and quirky DAP. I think if you are looking for it to work like an iDevice or Walkman it is never going to happen! iBasso is a very small company and since they wrote their own music player, I think that is quite an achievement already.

You need to really treat it like an analogue set up in a home system. So troublesome but once it plays the music and you hear the sound quality, all is forgiven.

I think you need to utilize it, to it's best and the DX100 is best, at playing Hi-Rez 24/96 or 24/192 files. You are not going to get more than 50 -100 albums when the internal memory is store with these Hi Rez files. This already solves the slow UI when lots of albums are stored on it.

Use SD cards for individual genres or whatever music that rocks your boat, and make sure everything is tagged consistently.

I think, if one manages and lower their expectations regarding the UI, the DX100 is really an awesome music player!!!  

Be happy!!!  

Well said sensai..... B-)

That's why I will keep my Sony Z, even if the DX100 blow me away.
As the enjoyment and ease of use, and in addition to a fast UI make this Walkman a keeper, and believe me when I say you can't imagine the offers I receive encouraging me to sell it. I have to wait an hour to get it mine, so

Mar 29, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #3,051 of 13,503

Quote:
Well said sensai..... B-)
That's why I will keep my Sony Z, even if the DX100 blow me away.
As the enjoyment and ease of use, and in addition to a fast UI make this Walkman a keeper, and believe me when I say you can't imagine the offers I receive encouraging me to sell it. I have to wait an hour to get it mine, so

That's kinda how I feel about my Studio V. If I was to only keep one of the 2 (DX100 and Studio V) I would definitely keep the Studio V over the DX100. For portability and ease of use the Studio wins hands down.

Mar 29, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #3,052 of 13,503
Quote:

I agree with you. The Wifi on te DX100 is really unreliable. I connect, then it disconnects. It's very hard to connect again. It's almost better to yank out the Wifi circuitry and make the thing smaller.
I have a complete Apple network at home (Airport Exporess, Time Capsule, etc.) & I don't know if it's anti-Apple compatibility but I'm not going to rush out to buy a router just to test this theory.

Yes I saw the claim however at least to me, it doesn't seem to behave like a 1.2GHz chip. I've seen other (older) Androids with slower CPUs that perform better than this. It does index. 'cos after leaving it for an hour, the player does return back with the albums. Thereafter it's "fast" again. But once I sync and update the songs, then it goes through the process again.

I'm listening to one of my FLACs via Poweramp now & attempting to connect to Android Market/Google Play and I occasionally get some music disruption; presumably due to the CPU or onboard memory.

Once I successfully get WiFi connection and connect to Google Play, I'll try to download some system info.

Edit: Wifi dropped again.

Download Quadrant Standard. Run it and it will tell you all you need to know about the chip, and its performance comparatively to phones. I think the chip is 800 and not 1.2. Since it is just a music player, I think it is more than sufficient but sometimes 24/192 still causes hiccups.

If your wifi constantly searches for the best bands then you will have problems also see how many bands your wifi searches for. My router can access 12 bands and most earlier gingerbread can only talk to 9, I think, so you need to change configuration to a fixed band .

Mar 29, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #3,054 of 13,503
I paid the final balance on my DX100 last Saturday and have been waiting patiently for the shipping notification from iBasso.
15 mins ago a DHL van pulled up outside my office with a parcel and it's here! Pretty fast service to UK, respect iBasso. No customs fees either, so I am well chuffed. First impressions - great build quality, weighty and impressive. A real quality looking piece of kit.
I've just installed a MicroSD card with some FLACs and it's running in right now. Straight out of the box it sounds better into my UM customs than my iPhone 4 and HM-601. Crisp and detailed. I am sure it will get a lot better. Can't wait to have a proper listen later, but work won't wait. 

Mar 29, 2012 at 5:33 AM Post #3,055 of 13,503
Hi there, i am in South Lodon, what about you?I just got my ATH-W3000ANV and waiting for my DX100 to arrive next week.If you not asked to pay costoms fees right on the spot on they deliver your parcel, is there any chance that you will pay later?I am just curios.Thank you

Quote:
I paid the final balance on my DX100 last Saturday and have been waiting patiently for the shipping notification from iBasso.
15 mins ago a DHL van pulled up outside my office with a parcel and it's here! Pretty fast service to UK, respect iBasso. No customs fees either, so I am well chuffed. First impressions - great build quality, weighty and impressive. A real quality looking piece of kit.
I've just installed a MicroSD card with some FLACs and it's running in right now. Straight out of the box it sounds better into my UM customs than my iPhone 4 and HM-601. Crisp and detailed. I am sure it will get a lot better. Can't wait to have a proper listen later, but work won't wait. 

Mar 29, 2012 at 5:53 AM Post #3,056 of 13,503
Hi there, i am in South Lodon, what about you?I just got my ATH-W3000ANV and waiting for my DX100 to arrive next week.If you not asked to pay costoms fees right on the spot on they deliver your parcel, is there any chance that you will pay later?I am just curios.Thank you

Yes, DHL do sometimes deliver without mentioning customs/VAT/brokerage fees, but then send an invoice a week or two later, so please don't make the mistake of assuming no fees if they deliver it without mentioning any fees.

Mar 29, 2012 at 6:01 AM Post #3,057 of 13,503
Well let's hope I don't get stung later then. The box wasn't marked up as an expensive DAP, so I may be ok.
Musicday - i'm in Bletchley, Bucks mate.

Mar 29, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #3,058 of 13,503
OK, cheers HI-Fi Wigwammer, let's hope we don't have to pay any extra fees.Am not sure if that is the case with my ATH-W3000ANV as they had the full price on the package.We shall see.Want to meet sometime and other guys from London to listen to our gear?

Quote:
Well let's hope I don't get stung later then. The box wasn't marked up as an expensive DAP, so I may be ok.
Musicday - i'm in Bletchley, Bucks mate.

Mar 29, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #3,059 of 13,503
Quote:
If your wifi constantly searches for the best bands then you will have problems also see how many bands your wifi searches for. My router can access 12 bands and most earlier gingerbread can only talk to 9 I think, so yoi need to change configuration to a fixed band .

Cheers...I changed my Apple Aiport Express to use channel 6 instead of auto and it connects reliably each time now.

Edit: I added pix of my DX100 in the Pictures of your Portable Rig thread.

Mar 29, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #3,060 of 13,503

Quote:
Yes I needed something that plays video well and sounds good. It is still silence from iBasso and if I wanna cancel my order, I need to do it now.

OK, I received my DX100 an hour or so ago.

SQ = great

VQ = Not great.

I bought the DX100 just to play audio, so the VQ doesn't really concern me, but to give you a fair appraisal of the DX100 video quality, uelover, I would have to say that:

-The screen resolution is poor

-The boundaries between the pixels are more obvious than I am accustomed to (giving it a mildly 'grid-like' appearance. I must stress that this is mild, but it's there)

-Moderately poor viewing angles

-Colours OK, but, by comparison with my SG2's Super AMOLED screen, they're a bit washed-out (mind you, at this point in time, the same could be said for almost any screen on the planet, by comparison with Super AMOLED).

-Most annoying thing is that every time you change the volume, the video playback is momentarily suspended, until the volume dialogue fades away. This is really archaic, iBasso!

So, much as I like the audio quality, I must be brutally honest and say that if video playback is a major consideration for you, the iBasso DX100 will probably not be suitable for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back