iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Jan 23, 2012 at 1:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13,503

jamato8

Headphoneus Supremus
DX100 MANUAL / User guide 

DX 100 Firmware updates

Originally Posted by Sorensiim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As the firmware downloading and unpacking seems to be giving some people a hard time, I decided to make it a bit easier and host the unpacked files myself:

And if you're really bored one night and want to try them all, here's a zip with all of them

Instructions  on updating firmware, very easy. 

Zipeg  an app to open the firmware once dowloaded to you desktop. I needed this for my MacBook Pro. Works great. 

192gb on the DX100       Adapter

For those using the Sysconcepts multi fiber optical caple, 1300, it does work fine with 24/192. This is due to the size of the fibers that will transmit with the speed needed so there is no loss. 

Reviews and Impressions by page number: 

1, 5, 30, 43, 45, 57, 75, 171, 189, 197, 213, 228, 231, 263, 290, 301, 320, 333, 437, 442, 467, 523, 637, 674

GREAT price on a Sandisk Class 6 64gb micro card.

Increasing storage to 192gb on the DX100  HERE

HiRez downloadable music sources:

iTrax a true HIRez site. 

Free hirez downloads!

Very high quality music and in hirez downloads! From Girls Generation. 

Linn   a very high quality source 

2.  Pete Alderton, Cover my Blues  http://www.linnrecords.com/recording-cover-my-blues.aspx

2L the Nordic sound 

7digital 

HD Tracks  a source of music up to 24/192

Quote:
Here are a couple of links to some good binaural recordings:
http://www.binaural.com/binvct.html
http://orangetreeproductions.com/music-cds.html
Several really special albums:
Up Close by Ottmar Liebert
Explorations in Space and Time by Chesky Recordings: HDtracks.com
Strauss Also Sprach Zarathustra / Saint-Saens Organ Symphony by Hector Olivera NCAU10001
There are also some free binaural samplers, such as "Virtual Haircut" that are impressive demonstrations of binaural recording. One can locate these via Google searching.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Useable Applications for the DX100

Battery Widget Click on the battery on the app and it gives you a breakdown of battery condition and charging state.  Free

Battery minder 

Power Amp  A great alternative to the stock UI and complements the use of the DX100. I enjoy using it but it will not play the hirez files, only 44.1/16 but album art shows up well and the app is easy to use. $4.99. ***Does not work with the latest firmware update. 

Cover Art, works very well with the DX100

A Helpful Widget  Battery minder and many other features 

Please try to keep up. The Glitterball thank you Pudu. 

______________________________________________________________________________________

GAIN

Quote:
The function of the gain switch is to adjust the voltage feedback to the DX100 amplifier in order to avoid being over-driven by the input voltage. Input levels can vary greatly due to differing recording levels, use of EQ, etc. With a fixed gain, high-level transients or inputs recorded at high levels plus EQ boost (especially bass) could easily overdrive the amplfier section, resulting in clipping and/or distortion even at volume settings much less than maximum.
The ideal gain setting will allow the amplifier to deliver its full rated power at the maximum setting of the volume control into a specific load while meeting its specified distortion values and still maintain some amount of headroom for high-level transients.
Generally speaking, the gain should be set at the lowest setting that will provide the desired volume without distortion or clipping. This will also provide the most headroom for the amplifier section. Changing the load (such as the use of headphones of differing impedance and/or sensitivity) also changes how easily the amplifier section can be over-driven. Very low impedance phones will result in the amplifier reaching its rated output with a much lower imput voltage.
While there are various methods of gain control, the bottom line is that the gain control simply matches the maximum output of the amplifier when driving a specific load to the voltage level of the source input.

iBasso has confirmed that changing the gain setting does not add any resistance to the headphone output and the output impedance remains less than 1 ohm regardless of which gain setting is selected.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A nice Wiki link to the DX100: BIG FAT LINK

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am starting this thread because the others have so much information not relating to the DAP and because I will be doing an impression of the DX100  over time, as I do with many of my reviews. 

I want to go into some general details for clarification about the DX100. 

It is bit for bit on music up to 24/192.
The software is upgradeable since it is Android and iBasso has special audio programs written for it, which is why the current Android OS can play music up to and including 24/192. 

I will be testing the DAP with all formats at my disposal and will test it up to 24/192 and with various micro SD cards. Currently I have 32gb. 

If there are any micro chips that do not work with the DX100, it would be good to report it as I am sure iBasso can do upgrades to cover this but it appears Android works with most micro SD cards. 

Images will be posted. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday January 23, 12:30 PM, the DX100 has arrived and at 12:55 I have some music loaded and am listening now. I have never used any Android OS's before so it is a learning curve for me and this will tell me how intuitive the OS is. 

Wow, the screen changes as you change the view, if I place the DX100 on its side, the screen changes for the proper view. I didn't know it would do that. 

The volume changes from the side of the 100 or you can change it on the screen. 

The presentation box is very, very nice. 

The Travel case I picked up, works as expected. For 15 dollars at Best Buy, here in the states, there is a compartment that totally protects the DX100 and on the internal cover for that, there is, on the opposite side, 8 places for extra cards and then in the top, an area for wires etc. I don't think the charger will fit but it can go in something else. 

A micro USB is used for the DX100. 

I am still floored by the fit and finish. Nothing to flap around. It is a product that has the looks of something that has totally arrived, even better than my iRivers, well a lot better than the iRivers. 

Sound, I am listening to some of the L2 Nordic high res at 24/96 and the violins are very sweet with good bite and decay. The music is very fast with no bleeding of the upper bass into the lower mids to muddy it. Very, very clean.  This is with the LCD-2

This product transcends what iBasso has done in the past. Totally individual and just cries out quality and not mass market but more like hand assembled Japanese or German quality but now Chinese quality. Most all of their products have been fine and for me held up great but this one . . . . 

Tues: January 24

I just downloaded "Tea for the Tillerman" Cat Stevens in 24/192 1.2gb. You think you can't hear a difference, think again. Insane. It is so live and real total audio joy! 

I do notice that on the micro SD cards I got that not all adapters work, even the ones that come with the SD card. I have a 6 class and 10 class and my computer would not recognize the 10 so I figured it was my computer and class 10 and the Transcend card but I change the adapter and it was fine. 

I do notice that with Class 10 on the Miicro SD card, download is much faster. I downloaded Cat Stevens, Tea for the Tillerman, which is 1.2 gb and it went much faster than the class 6 card. 

All of the printing on the case of the DX100 is by laser, which is nice as it will not wear off with time. 

Thur. January 26

I am going on the 3r day for the DX100 and the bass has changed. I can see, that for me, comparing this unit too soon will not mean anything. The bass has become stronger in impact and songs have more bloom to them, a more rounded sound and full. I also hear more lingering to notes, more decay and hall ambience. Very nice, very big and very open. 

Listening again with the LCD-2 to the Closing of Winterland, 1973, the Grateful Dead, and the combination is excellent. Resolution, airiness, well placed instruments and singers. The bass has a solid foundation with a line that is very well controlled and tuneful. 

Thur. Feb. 1

I have noticed an increase in detail in both macro and micro. Not an etched detail that you can get by increasing the treble but just more retrieval. Bass reproduction has remained constant, extremely well controlled and what I term as tuneful. 

Sat. Feb. 4

HiFlight pointed out that on the software that comes with the DX100, when you press on an album, you have to hold the press for a few seconds. When you do this, 4 choices come up for the album. If you press play, it plays the album in correct order and all the way through from start to finish. You can also add to favorites etc in the drop down menu that happens if you hold your finger on the album of choice for a few seconds rather than a quick tap. 

Good information! 

Also I notice the sound continues to mature in subtle but meaningful ways. Cymbals on well recorded jazz and rock, have a delicacy of brass that is really enjoyable and realistic, proving there is more on these recordings than often rendered. Also the bass has become even more integrated into the natural flow of the music. 

Fri. Feb 10

I am playing Peter Green, Blues for Dhyana, Liquor and You, this is substantial sound. Bass excellence, and still a very open sound field. Beautiful cymbals, so brassy, wow. I am using my ATH-ESW10's. About as good as they have ever sounded. VEry wide and deep stage. Green is doing his stuff! 

Sun. Feb 12

I am listening with the LCD-2 ver 1 but a second issue, which is different from the sound when compared to my 1st pair in that they are more delicate and refined. 

The sound with the LX100 is very detailed but not etched. The notes linger, in a natural airy way. The stage is very large with a 3D type of imaging with a beautiful layering of transparent sound. I love the way an acoustical guitar sounds. The resounding bass on Hotel California from the Eagles, Hell Freezes Over, is convincing and deep but controlled. 

Crazy, I am listening with the HE-6 and this thing is driving them! And they sound good! I put on some bass heavy stuff trying to get the amp to bottom it out and it plays as loud I care to listen. Very good dimension to the sound as in nice depth and transparency. So far I am enjoying the LCD-2, ESW10 and the HE-6 more than the EDition 9, as they just give out more detail and a more plausible sound field. 

Crazy, I am listening with the HE-6 and this thing is driving them! And they sound good! I put on some bass heavy stuff trying to get the amp to bottom it out and it plays as loud I care to listen. Very good dimension to the sound as in nice depth and transparency. So far I am enjoying the LCD-2, ESW10 and the HE-6 more than the EDition 9, as they just give out more detail and a more plausible sound field. 

Feb. 18th 

I ran my DX100 down to 1 percent on the battery to where the unit shuts off and recharged. It takes just short of 3 hours, which isn't bad as too fast a charging can shorten battery life. 2 hours 50 minutes to be exact on the charging. 

I still can't believe the synergy with the HE-500 headphones. The best I have ever heard them a real stage, layering (imaging) and beautiful width and depth. The audio spectrum with regards to frequencies is right on and so natural and very dynamic. 

March 6, 2012 

I was listening to some classical music that I have had in storage for 7 years, last night. I have Andres Segovia, Recital, and have always used it for measuring my home speaker system due to the detail, naturalness and audio cues. The cues like footsteps and coughing, which are natural, give me space, width and hall reflection input. I played this on the DX100 last night, after downloading it to a 32gb micro for just classical music. 

Wow, there are details that I had no idea existed and for 16/44, assumed would not, could not be there. Such a wonderful natural full bodied sound. The plucking of the strings, the guitar body and even mood of the presentation come forth with realism. The best I have heard! Oh, this was on my JH13 Pros. I need to listen with my LCD-2 also as I am sure they will shine with this music. Now off to listen. 

NEW VERSION of the DX100

April 12, 2012 

300 hours of use. 

I have never, never, heard individual voices rendered like this. They are not clumped, massed but are distinct, not to the point of distraction but allowed their own space, pace and individual face. Instruments are right there as well. I would say this dac takes at least 300 hours and I do not know at this time what it will sound like on down the road but the journey has been fun so far with plenty of revelations. I can't imagine what iBassos home dac with 4 of the chips in this dap will be like, since it isn't just about chips but also implementation and they have done the hardware right for the DX100 so there is no question in my mind, it will easily carry over to a home dac but for now I am riding the wave. 

--------------- True gapless and further audio format support on current firmware release! 

Phones I have found to work well with the DX100: HE-6, HE-500, Ultrasone Ed. 9, 750 Pro, LCD-2, JH Pro13, ESW 10, Koss PortaPro. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The information from iBasso:

24Bit/192KHz Reference Digital Audio Player 

- Android 2.3 OS With Custom Audio Player Software
- Support up to 24Bit/192kHz Bit for Bit Decoding
- ES9018 32Bit DAC Chip
- Built-in +/-8.5V Headphone AMP
- 3.75" Capacitive Touch Screen
- Up to 24Bit/192 Optical/Mini Coaxial Output
- 3.5mm Headphone Output, 6.3mm Headphone Output, and Line Out
- 256-Steps Digital Volume Control
- 64G Onboard Flash
- Support up to 32G External MicroSD
- 3-Setting Gain Switch
- SRC Function
- Slow Roll-off/ Sharp Roll-off Digital Filter
- Support Wifi, Bluetooth
- Solid Case Made of Magnesium Alloy and Aluminum Alloy
- Audio Formats Supported: APE, FLAC, WAV, WMA, AAC, ALAC, OGG, MP3 
- Come With Micro USB Cable, Coaxial Cable, and AC Adapter
- One Year Warranty and Ten Years Free Labor

Specifications:

Power Source:Built-in 2000mAh 8.4V Li-polymer Battery pack or external power supply
Frequency Response: 20Hz-20KHz +0.1/-0.25dB
Signal to Noise Ratio:-116dB 
Crosstalk: 1KHz0dB > -100dB, 20KHz odB = -82dB
THD+N: 0.002%
IMD: 0.0034%
Gain and Output Power: 0dB=2V rms (125mW/32ohm)
+3dB = 2.8V rms (245mW/32ohm)
+8.5dB = 5.0V rms (83mW/300ohm)
Battery Life: 72Hours (stand-by) or 7Hours (play music) 
Battery Charge Time: 4Hours
External Power supply: 12V DC
Recommended Headphone Impedance: 8~600Ω
Dimension: 2.83W x 4.65L x 0.93H (inch)
71.8W x 118L x 27.5H (mm)
Weight: 265g or 9.3oz

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jan 23, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #2 of 13,503
TAGGING by Lee730

The below directions are in large part for the Hisound products but you can still use them to help you get your tags properly working as I did myself. If you are gonna be using FLAC files then I recommend you only have the (FLAC) tag embedded and be sure to remove any other tags like ID3V2 etc. You can embed your album art as well if you want it to show up. There is an easy work around if you are patient to get them to show up on 1.1.7. They will show up on 1.2.3 but the sound is crap on that firmware. Basically you want your filename of your songs to be like this "01 Say you will". You do not want dashes and you need to have that 0 before the 1 so 01, 02, 03, 04. Otherwise your files won't show up in order. Also remove clutter such as composer, disc number, comments. Under the "Track" colume in mp3 tag you also want it to reflect "01, 02, 03, 04" etc.

Use mp3 tag to tag your files.

Step 1: Download Mp3tag

Step 2: Go into Tool/Options. Under Tags you have Mpeg and Ape, Mpc... You want to make sure Read is check marked for both Mpeg and Ape. For "Write" make sure only ID3v1 is checked (for both Mpeg and Ape). Under "Remove" check ID3v2 and APE. If you have APE files it is recommended not to use them as those files work slow on the Studio V. Convert them over to FLAC instead. Then select Ok to apply changes in options.

Step 3: Drag and drop your files you wish to apply this to. I recommend doing this from your Hard drive if you wanna save time as the changes can be applied much faster this way. Then again reloading your Studio V and SD card could take the same amount of time. It's really only a 1 time process thing so it's not a big deal. Anyways once you've dragged and dropped the files you wish to apply these changes to, highlight all the files or click on the "Filename" area and then press Ctrl + A. Now Select Remove tags or that big X just below "Edit" (top left corner area of Mp3tag). Once all tags have been removed simply click "undo Changes" located next to "Remove tags". This will restore all your tags on the fly except for v3.2 tags. To be on the safe side you can also select "Save" to ensure these changes stay. This is located to the left of "Remove tags".

Step 4: I also recommend cleaning up your tags. If you have junk such as "Comment", "Composer", "Disc number", and "embedded album art" this will all contribute to slowing down your device. I'll tell you how to remove all this on the fly. Again press Ctrl + A to hilight all your files. Then under Comment/Composer/Disc number select <blank> for them all. Once you've completed this now right click on the album art area (located below disc number). Select "Remove Cover". Now all you have to do now is Select "Save" and it will apply all these changes for you (just make sure all your files are constantly hilighted when doing all the above directions in order to apply them).

Problem should be solved and your player should be rather responsive on start up. Mine takes roughly 16 seconds (correction) to load from the SD card and on-board. I did a countdown myself and it's 16 seconds for my unit (20 seconds if you start the countdown from when you first power the unit on). Enjoy folks! :)
lee730
Yesterday at 6:27 am

You can also configure mp3 tags buttons to do auto changes on the fly for you.

Under the "Tools" tab you'll notice 4 buttons with an arrow pointing to the right.

For the first one click it and copy and paste this: %track% %title%

Second one: % track% %title%

Now look further to the right and you'll notice one of these buttons marked as 1 2 on a page (red numbers). Click that and input this

Begin at tracknumber: 1

Check-mark: Leading zeros for tracknumbers (01,02). This will allow your tracks to be automatically numbered from 01, 02, 03, 04 etc. Just make sure they are in the correct order starting from 1,2,3,4 and it will automatically rename them correctly to 01, 02, 03, 04. I've noticed issues if you don't have it done this way. Basically when changing your tracks be sure to do this part first. Then you can refer to those other buttons I had mentioned earlier. As long as your Titles of your tags are correct it will combine that along with the 01, 02, 03 and rename your Filename according to that format. Basically saving you a lot of time and making this process quite easy.

Quote:
{A very handy page!} <-----click me

SDXC Backwards Compatibility Configuration
SDXC memory cards can be used only with SDXC host products.
SDXC host products can use SD, SDHC and SDXC memory cards.
SDHC memory cards can be used with SDHC and SDXC host products.
SDHC host products can use both SD and SDHC memory cards.

Backwards capability is a standard, for example a data format in electronics such as video cameras and computers. A device is backwards compatible if products designed for the new standard can receive, read, view or play older standards and formats.

information_sdxce_img01.gif

[size=inherit]
 ​
SDXC
memory card​
SDHC
memory card​
SD
memory card​
SDXC
host products​
YES​
YES​
YES​
SDHC
host products​
NO​
YES​
YES​
SD
host products​
NO​
NO​
YES​

[/size]

SDXC Memory Cards for PCs

When you use your SDXC memory card with your PC, please confirm if your PC supports exFAT and please download appropriate software.

Overview: SDXC support on Windows OS
information_sdxce_img05.gif

Windows 2000, Me and 98 OS do not support SDXC.

Overview: SDXC support on MacOS
information_sdxce_img06.gif

The images below by scootermafia and on this post can be clicked on and they are even larger and can be viewed in the larger view with the right or left arrow. Excellent images scootermafia! 

Carrying and travel case that I have found to work very well with the DX100. 

The carrying case affords total protection for the DX100 and there is room for micro SD cards when placed in SD adapters and the top of the case has room for IEM's and I also have a set of Koss KSC35 open monitors, which sound excellent with the DX100. The case has double zippers and the panel that covers the DX100 is sewn in place on one side and held in place with velcro on the other. Where I store the DX100 at the top of the DX100, I keep a cloth that is for cleaning lenses and I use this to clean the screen. It all works great. 

Great information on ripping files:

Quote:
Lossless files should, per definition, be lossless so no audible differences at all. I'm all FLAC, partly because I'm an open source geek and partly because I don't own (And never will, but that's another story) any Apple products. 

No matter which format you prefer, I highly recommend dBPoweramp for ripping and converting your files. Then add Mp3Tag for all your tagging and artwork needs and you'll never need any other software for tagging or converting your music files 
cool.gif

Great images by turokrocks  posted with permisson of turokrocks 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
I am quite happy to say that I found a solution for my SD card problem, which was also experienced by jax and cubasesx and nicely described by AnakChan:

What I did previously and which causes the problem:

as shown in Windows 7 explorer:

internal
IBASSO\sdcard\Music\<Album 1>
or
IBASSO\sdcard\<Album 1>

external
SD1\Music\<Album 2>
or
SD1\<Album 2>

as shown in File Manager on the DX100 (File Manger is an Android app):
/mnt/storage/sdcard
this corresponds to the external SD card
the top level folder:
/sdcard
corresponds also to the external SD card
The internal SD card is not displayed in File Manager

Now, coming to the solution:
connect the DX100 to the (Windows) desktop
create:
IBASSO\Music\<Album 1>

The folder "Music" must be on the same hierarchical level as the folder "sdcard". Not below.

I keep the structure on the external SD card:
SD1\Music\<Album 2>

Now the File Manager on the DX100 shows:
/mnt/storage/sdcard/Music/<Album 2>
this corresponds to the external SD card
/mnt/storage/Music/<Album 1>
corresponds to the internal SD card
Both cards are displayed in File Manager.

The above was done with a SanDisk 64GB microSDHC card (class 6). Formatted as FAT32. Using either Acronis Disk Utilities or "fat32format" ([size=11pt] http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm )[/size]
The card is a primary volume type and not a logical.

Hope this helps, and prevents some for sending the DX100 back to iBasso (too fast).

Jan 23, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #3 of 13,503
Disassembly here:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/592076/ibasso-dx100-dap-cases-imgs-video-pg-1-review-impressions-pgs-1-5-30-43-45-57-75/1470#post_8197154

NEW: An in depth, 10 and a half minute look at the DX100.  Now with 50% less noobery.  Yes there are bloopers.

My original video preview:

Waiting for UPS to show up with mine today.  For some reason it says "destination scan" instead of "out for delivery" which is unusual.  I'll replace this text with my initial impressions and some good photos...then turn it eventually into a more complete review.  

Edit: iBasso DX100 is here!  Pix inc.

Also, anyone else's DX100 come with a crapload of free music on it?  Lots of 24/192.  I'm listening to some DAMN high quality Chinese music right now, plus some Muddy Waters, etc etc.  

Initial impressions:

Arrival:  Came in 3 days, very well packed.  The box is pretty solid, comparable in material to the HD800's paper based box.  Not exactly heirloom quality but a respectable storage place for the DX100.  

In the box:  It came with a dedicated AC charger you can see in the photos, it doesn't charge with USB and you can't use USB batteries with it.  Sorry to all the people that were planning to use those monster USB supplies with it.  It uses a mini mono jack to output a digital signal.  Not sure why you'd want to use this with another DAC as the built in one is so damn good.  Mono mini to RCA cable is in the pile along with the warranty card, the USB data cable (USB micro port on the side is for data only), and the player of course.

Feel of the player:  The back and left/right sides are lightweight brushed aluminum with some rubberized surfaces for grip and scratch resistance I presume.  The top/front/end casing of the player and the ends is the destructed-finish bead blasted aluminum from the PB2 and DB2.  Awesome feel.  It's actually not that heavy, or at least, it feels like there's some air inside.  Less monolithic and brick like compared to the iPhone4, I'm sure there's some air inside for the capacitors and whatnot.  I'm waiting for someone to open one of these players, but it ain't gonna be me.  The buttons have a nice feel and a low profile.  

Operation:  When you plug in with USB, it will ask you the first time if you want to enable data mode.  The music will then shut off and the DX100 will appear like a pen drive to the computer, be it a mac or PC.  The DX100 was preloaded, by accident or by intention, with a crapload of Chinese and English language music in various high resolution formats.  Very nice for testing, although perhaps they forgot to wipe it clean.  You just drag and drop your files onto it.  Haven't tried any apps or games yet, I'll get to it later.  

Powering it up and using it:  Holding down the power button on the side of the DX100 brings it to life.  You then swipe your finger on the screen (Android style, with the circle and lock) to unlock it.  It locks fairly quickly on its own to save battery.  There are a trio of capacitative touch buttons on the front.  The home button will always take you to the audio player.  The back button (rightmost) takes you back a menu.  The menu button (leftmost) opens up a contextual menu to tweak the options of the audio player.

I just figured out how the music interface properly works.  From the main menu, there are basically 3 items, that you can flip through by swiping left/right.  There's a list of applications, there's the basic music player, and then there's the list of songs.  The basic music player is, well, a basic interface.  When you go to the list of songs, there's a little music note icon at the top right.  If you press it, it will show the "real" expanded music player, I'm guessing programmed in by iBasso.  It has a nicer interface with complete track info, I'll have to take more pix to show exactly how this works.  It shows sample rate, bit depth, etc, and if you swipe left there's a graphic eq visualizer for fun.  If you hit the menu touch button here, it will show you proper options for pimping out the sound.  

You can view:  track complete info; play mode (cycle in order, repeat, shuffle, single repeat); EQ (rock, pop, classical, or custom 8 band); sleep mode (goes to sleep in 1 minute default, or any); digital filter (sharp or slow rolloff); SRC (off, 44khz/48khz, 88.2/96khz, 176.4/192khz).  Not sure if I like the SRC, it did change the sound a little when I set it to 192.  I don't have much experience playing with upsamplers so I will leave this one alone, for now.  

Also: HAPTIC FEEDBACK OMG IT VIBRATES WHEN YOU TOUCH STUFF

And as Jamato pointed out, it has a gyro so it knows when it's held sideways, like the iPhone.

The touchscreen is quite effective.  Perhaps not as flawlessly sensitive as the iPhone's one, but it's close.  You can flip your finger and stuff glides up or down, the inertial scrolling thing.  Darn close to iPhone.  

The volume controls on the side can ratchet the sound up and down, and then open up a little touch slider menu that you can drag to move the volume control.  

Long story short - if you've been burned by Chinese gear's UI before, I'm pretty confident that you can have a good time with the iBasso.  Ease of use isn't far from IOS5 to be honest, I figured it out pretty fast, and with a manual it's likely even more intuitive.  There's nothing glaringly wrong with it right now, its operation is fairly obvious.  More impressive is the voodoo iBasso worked to bypass the fail audio output on Android and got their own custom player hard coded into there.  It can play every format I can throw at it, from WAV to FLAC to ALAC.  Except AIFF.  I only have a few AIFF tracks, and they're gonna have to go.  

How does it sound:  I'm not the best at describing the sound.  I can say with good confidence that this player is driving my LCD3s with authority and the sound is crystal clear and insanely detailed.  Pretty close to my Boomslang2 and O2, with the DX100 just running my LCD3 directly.  It has an absolutely black background and the sound is even better with high res music like the demo tracks that were pre loaded.  And I'm sure with the O2 once I get that going, it will be even better, although it seems now like it's doing my LCD3s justice.  I am very doubtful that there's a better DAP out there.  It should be a no brainer to buy one of these.  Its operation is pretty straightforward with a huge amount of potential for fun with apps and all that.  

More sound impressions:  Unbelievably good.  I could dumpster the rest of my audio setup and be happy just with this.  It has a lot of power and it's very transparent.  People should be 100% confident about using just this with nothing else.  It is absolutely driving the hell out of my LCD3s.

DX100 is slightly warm from an hour's use.  Pleasantly warm, not scary warm.  

With the JDS Labs Objective2 amplifier (via rechargeable batteries):

Whoa!!  This is a crazy transportable setup.  Even bigger, more transparent, and effortless.  Definitely a clear improvement over the DX100 on its own.  The DX100's headphone out is damn good, no doubt.  But the O2 is the best portable amp i've ever used by a long shot, beating the tar out of my topkit Pelican balanced mini amp by a huge margin.  So, it stands to reason this would sound good, and it does sound good.  Scoring an O2 only adds $150 to the cost of your DX100...why not try it?

Video review is coming, eventually.  

Jan 23, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #5 of 13,503
Just read an impression from erji.net from a forum member over there that is pretty close to iBasso. Two things to note: 1)  Confirmed by iBasso (and mention in the OP), the playback software is custom written for the DX100 which solves the issue with the dreadful original Android SRC. 2) A warning not to update/downgrade the Android OS (except those from iBasso of course) as it will ruin the custom audio driver that is built into the kernel

Jan 23, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #6 of 13,503
It has arrived and I am listening after loading a few songs and now it is a learning curve for me, as I have never used the Android OS before. How smart am I? I will find out. :^)

BTW, the DX100 looks like pure quality. Excellent fit and finish! 

Listening to some 24/96. Nice detail and hall retrieval on 2L Nordic Sound, audiophile recorded pieces of music. 

Jan 23, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #8 of 13,503
RAAAAGE

Where's my UPS truck.

Jan 23, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #9 of 13,503

Quote:
Come on jamato, stop with these little teasers. How does it sound??

I am trying to figure out Android, I don't listen to music! :^) I need some time and it needs to settle a little and I want to give impressions that will help not be all over the place. 
Quote:
RAAAAGE

Where's my UPS truck.

They are teasing you, they have driven by twice. 

-----------------

The screen images changes as you change the position of the 100. From vertical to horizontal etc. I didn't know it would do that. 

You can change the volume from the side of the unit or on the screen. 

Jan 23, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #10 of 13,503
DX100 is here, so watch post 3 of this thread...

Jan 23, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #11 of 13,503

Quote:
Waiting for UPS to show up with mine today.  For some reason it says "destination scan" instead of "out for delivery" which is unusual.  I'll replace this text with my initial impressions and some good photos...then turn it eventually into a more complete review.  

Edit: iBasso DX100 is here!  Pix inc.

Also, anyone else's DX100 come with a crapload of free music on it?  Lots of 24/192.  I'm listening to some DAMN high quality Chinese music right now, plus some Muddy Waters, etc etc.  

Peter, can you save those Damn high Quality Chinese music for me?  Can you please hurry and share with us some of those Damn initial impression?  and those damn pictures :wink:) Better yet, send the damn thing over :wink:

Jan 23, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #12 of 13,503

your raging lol, [size=medium]I’m literally crying. [/size]I still have to wait an entire day. Why am I only one that is getting it realy late.

Quote:
RAAAAGE

Where's my UPS truck.

Jan 23, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #13 of 13,503
I am using the LCD-2 with some Eric Clapton Unplugged and it is doing surprisingly well with this heavier load. Plenty of volume, oh, I was on mid gain. On high gain, way more volume than needed and no distortion. Wow. 

My touch screen wasn't working well and I had to wash my hands. My hands were too dry, now it works great. 

Jan 23, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #14 of 13,503
Damn impressions are up.  Damn good.  Chinese damn music is archived, but i may leave it on the player too.  

Edit:  And I've got love for the Chinese music.  This guy sounds like the Chinese John Mayer, I may not have a clue what he's crooning about, but he paid up for some good production & mastering.

Also, there's the Linn Records CD of Maeve O'Boyle in 24/88 flac on here.  Thanks, iBasso!  What you did will probably go unpunished.

Jan 23, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #15 of 13,503
I just got some micro SD cards to try out. 

I can't believe how well this is driving my LCD-2 and it isn't even broken in but clean and clear but natural. 

I thought SD cards would be faster to load in my SD slot on my MacBook Pro than USB 2 it isn't. Odd. I have class 6 and 10 so it isn't the card. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back