iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Mar 3, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #10,951 of 13,503
Quote:
I prefer using the cli for file management, and since copying to the DX100 is so slow, I wanted a progress indicator while waiting (using --progress with rsync). Now I just copy regularly and do something else for a while :)

I usually sync my music when I have a crap load to add. But other than that I'll do it manually. But I still update those specific playlists regardless so in the event I have to copy everything again I no longer have to do it manually :).

Mar 3, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #10,952 of 13,503
I usually sync my music when I have a crap load to add. But other than that I'll do it manually but I still update those specific playlists regardless so in the event I have to copy everything again I no longer have to do it manually :).

Mar 3, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #10,953 of 13,503
Quote:
It seems to care more about the order files were written to the media than the actual tagged track number, which is completely ******* braindead, but then again, this is the DX100 we're talking about here. Wouldn't want to blow anyone's mind with sane media handling!

You're right.  Notice that whenever you add a new file, the DX100 sees it as the last file of your full count on the player.  Every other player I have used re-orders the count so that the new file is in order by file name alphabetic.  This strange nuance pops up once in awhile depending on how you select to play your files.  If I recall, if you select Directory "Play All" without shuffle, it will play the files in the order they were added to the device, not in the order it should.  I'm surprised this hasn't been fixed yet. 

Mar 3, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #10,954 of 13,503
Yes, the Hifiman players did (do?) this too and it seems a pretty daft thing to let slip by. I find it very inconsistent on the DX, having had the issue only a couple of times... but it is vexing when it happens.

Mar 3, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #10,956 of 13,503
hi fellow head-fiers !!!

Ordered a DX100 directly from iBasso, its on the way. 
smile.gif
 CANT WAIT after reading all the great reviews. I will post my own review soon I guess.

I bought a Colorfly C4 at the beginning and I really loved it. The wooden body, the laser etched logo, the ALPS volume slider. It kinda reminded me of the iRiver H340 I used to have regarding the UI. After buying it I realized the small problems. Lack of a touchscreen was one - if I have 200 songs in a playlist according to genre and I want to play the 100th song ... OMG !!! I ran out of patience. Another is the lack of power. It is rated up to 300 Ohms, so I though of getting a Beyerdynamic DT880 PRO 80 Ohms would be perfect. Man I was wrong. Either I listen to music ridiculously loud or the volume was ... well ok. I made my girlfriend listen to it and she also said the maximum volume was lacking. I wonder what it would do with a Sennheiser HD650. Anyways, people buy it for the sound, which is where Im going next ...

The sound for me was very good, very clear. I have a Samsung Galaxy S (with the wolfson DAC) and equipped with voodoo sound enhancement and I use it with a Westone 4R. Compared to the Galaxy S, the C4 was undoubtedly more clear with a much wider soundstage. The sound was very lush and mellow which I liked, kinda analog and warm sounding. Compared to the H340, it was more mid centric whereas the H340 has a distinct u-curve sound signature with boomy bass. After listening to it for a few days, there was something that was lacking from the sound - the bass. The deeper bass notes were severely rolled off and it made the C4 sound quite lean. From 100hz onwards it was impeccable and waaaay better. But it lacked the full bodied sound of my Galaxy S. It felt incomplete. I was trying too hard to like the sound and then I realized that for £500, I should not have to do so. The plus point of that was no matter what song I played through the C4, the bass didnt distort. Its as if Colorfly added something like a safety factor which made sure the heavy bass songs sounded perfect without muddying up the rest of the frequency range and therefore consequently other songs sounded thin and lacking in weight. Im sure there can easily be more bass without muddying up the midrange and treble. I tried but I couldnt enjoy the C4 too much.

Anyways, after some comprehensive listening, I sent it back and got a full refund and got myself a DX100. Atleast that has a user adjustable EQ so I can tailor the sound to my liking somewhat. Hoping for the best.

P.S. sorry if I wrote too much about the C4 in the DX100 thread but I guess someone can let me know if the Dx100 has any of the problems I mentioned with the C4. 
frown.gif

Mar 3, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #10,957 of 13,503
Quote:
hi fellow head-fiers !!!

smile.gif
 CANT WAIT after reading all the great reviews. I will post my own review soon I guess.

I bought a Colorfly C4 at the beginning and I really loved it. The wooden body, the laser etched logo, the ALPS volume slider. It kinda reminded me of the iRiver H340 I used to have regarding the UI. After buying it I realized the small problems. Lack of a touchscreen was one - if I have 200 songs in a playlist according to genre and I want to play the 100th song ... OMG !!! I ran out of patience. Another is the lack of power. It is rated up to 300 Ohms, so I though of getting a Beyerdynamic DT880 PRO 80 Ohms would be perfect. Man I was wrong. Either I listen to music ridiculously loud or the volume was ... well ok. I made my girlfriend listen to it and she also said the maximum volume was lacking. I wonder what it would do with a Sennheiser HD650. Anyways, people buy it for the sound, which is where Im going next ...

The sound for me was very good, very clear. I have a Samsung Galaxy S (with the wolfson DAC) and equipped with voodoo sound enhancement and I use it with a Westone 4R. Compared to the Galaxy S, the C4 was undoubtedly more clear with a much wider soundstage. The sound was very lush and mellow which I liked, kinda analog and warm sounding. Compared to the H340, it was more mid centric whereas the H340 has a distinct u-curve sound signature with boomy bass. After listening to it for a few days, there was something that was lacking from the sound - the bass. The deeper bass notes were severely rolled off and it made the C4 sound quite lean. From 100hz onwards it was impeccable and waaaay better. But it lacked the full bodied sound of my Galaxy S. It felt incomplete. I was trying too hard to like the sound and then I realized that for £500, I should not have to do so. The plus point of that was no matter what song I played through the C4, the bass didnt distort. Its as if Colorfly added something like a safety factor which made sure the heavy bass songs sounded perfect without muddying up the rest of the frequency range and therefore consequently other songs sounded thin and lacking in weight. Im sure there can easily be more bass without muddying up the midrange and treble. I tried but I couldnt enjoy the C4 too much.

Anyways, after some comprehensive listening, I sent it back and got a full refund and got myself a DX100. Atleast that has a user adjustable EQ so I can tailor the sound to my liking somewhat. Hoping for the best.

P.S. sorry if I wrote too much about the C4 in the DX100 thread but I guess someone can let me know if the Dx100 has any of the problems I mentioned with the C4. 
frown.gif

Someone please tell me a Galaxy S shouldn't sound anywhere near as good as a C4.....even in the bass!?!

Mar 3, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #10,958 of 13,503
Quote:
hi fellow head-fiers !!!

smile.gif

frown.gif

The DX100 should not have any of your mentioned problems, but it might have some other problems that you don't have with your C4
biggrin.gif

Seriously, I believe your would like the sound of the DX100 more than your Galaxy S or C4, although I haven't own/listen to them...

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #10,959 of 13,503
Quote:
... ...

frown.gif

I do not have a C4, but I did plan to get one before, then end up with DX100.
The power of DX100 is able to handle my Beyerdynamic T1 (rated 600 ohm), so I guess you will not have the volume issue.
In addition to that, make sure you do an factory reset before you do anything with the device, then upgrade the firmware directly to 1.3.7. It is by far, the more "bass" version with excellent low extensions. Just go to the first page for instructions.

P.S.
Still don't think C4 will be that bad though. It has a 1/4 jack means it is able to drive big full sizes. Maybe you got a defect one?

Mar 4, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #10,960 of 13,503
One of the things about this device that impresses me most is the amplifier that iBasso has crafted.

As I type this I am listening to my 600 ohm Beyerdynamic DT880s powered by my iBasso DX100, and it is doing a respectable job of driving these!  OK, I can tell it's straining a bit, and I have the volume all the way up at 255 on high gain, and it does lose quite a bit of its finesse, but driving these cans it is!  

Color me impressed!

I don't recommend that anyone make a steady habit of using their DX100 to power high Z cans, and I only tried because I was curious, but I am really impressed by the results of my experiment!  Especially when I consider that this is a portable device!

I officially announce the death of portable stacks the size of bricks, this device is all that is needed!

Mar 4, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #10,961 of 13,503
Quote:
One of the things about this device that impresses me most is the amplifier that iBasso has crafted.

As I type this I am listening to my 600 ohm Beyerdynamic DT880s powered by my iBasso DX100, and it is doing a respectable job of driving these!  OK, I can tell it's straining a bit, and I have the volume all the way up at 255 on high gain, and it does lose quite a bit of its finesse, but driving these cans it is!  

Color me impressed!

I don't recommend that anyone make a steady habit of using their DX100 to power high Z cans, and I only tried because I was curious, but I am really impressed by the results of my experiment!  Especially when I consider that this is a portable device!

I officially announce the death of portable stacks the size of bricks, this device is all that is needed!

I agree completely! The amp section of the DX100 is breathtaking. I wish I could rip out the rest of the hardware and replace it with something worthy of such an amp :)

Mar 4, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #10,962 of 13,503
Quote:
I agree completely! The amp section of the DX100 is breathtaking. I wish I could rip out the rest of the hardware and replace it with something worthy of such an amp :)

I take it you're still having problems?

Mar 4, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #10,963 of 13,503
Quote:

Add the T1 amp and it takes it to another level lol. When I had my DX100 I used the T1 amp with it 99% of the time. Even when going out lol. It just sounded that damn good together :). I'd rip the DAC out of the DX100 and combine it with the amp section of the T1 and that would be my reference sound.

Mar 4, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #10,965 of 13,503
Quote:
Seriously, I believe your would like the sound of the DX100 more than your Galaxy S or C4, although I haven't own/listen to them...

My son has a Galaxy S.  Soundwise, there is no comparison...the DX100 wins in every department.  However, I'll give the Galaxy a win on GUI. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back