iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Nov 30, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #9,316 of 13,503
Quote:
Gents, I think I have just had a light bulb moment!

For a few days now I have been thinking just how awesome my DX100\JH16 combo sounds. Its hard to describe, but everything sounds much "fuller" with a subtle but noticeably increased sound stage and air. Mids and Bass have much more weight and impact to them and seem more forward. Although, the JH16 can't be called "weedy and thin", the sound I was getting before was much "thinner" and more analytical than it is now. Now my music sounds just that bit more analogue and warmer.

I have just noticed that my Gain is set to High!

So it seems that my combo works REALLY well on the High gain.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask these questions?
Can anyone explain to me why it should sound so much better on the High gain - even at a lower volume? (in simple laymans terms :wink: )
I had always assumed that the High gain was for hard to drive headphones and not for improving IEMs?
What exactly is Gain?
Can the High gain damage my JH16 ?
The only slight downside I have noticed is a slight hiss in between tracks and on very quiet tracks.

Have I finally understood why people choose to audition and use different amps for headphones?
I have been trying to sell my JH13 as I found them too mid\bass light....maybe I will have to give them a go on the DX100 with the High gain now!

All my experience so far has really been with DAPs and IEMs. I do have an IBASSO D10, but have never really noticed this dramatic improvement in the sound.

Cheers

I tend to prefer high gain for everything I have. Some manufactures state that the sound is the same, regardless of gain, but IMO, it is different and prefer high gain, while bringing the volume back down. The way the gain is handled in the unit affects the sound. How various manufactures choose to do this varies. 

Nov 30, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #9,317 of 13,503
Quote:
Gents, I think I have just had a light bulb moment!

For a few days now I have been thinking just how awesome my DX100\JH16 combo sounds. Its hard to describe, but everything sounds much "fuller" with a subtle but noticeably increased sound stage and air. Mids and Bass have much more weight and impact to them and seem more forward. Although, the JH16 can't be called "weedy and thin", the sound I was getting before was much "thinner" and more analytical than it is now. Now my music sounds just that bit more analogue and warmer.

I have just noticed that my Gain is set to High!

So it seems that my combo works REALLY well on the High gain.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask these questions?
Can anyone explain to me why it should sound so much better on the High gain - even at a lower volume? (in simple laymans terms :wink: )
I had always assumed that the High gain was for hard to drive headphones and not for improving IEMs?
What exactly is Gain?
Can the High gain damage my JH16 ?
The only slight downside I have noticed is a slight hiss in between tracks and on very quiet tracks.

Have I finally understood why people choose to audition and use different amps for headphones?
I have been trying to sell my JH13 as I found them too mid\bass light....maybe I will have to give them a go on the DX100 with the High gain now!

All my experience so far has really been with DAPs and IEMs. I do have an IBASSO D10, but have never really noticed this dramatic improvement in the sound.

Cheers

I find the gain settings actually brings the mid range more forward and increases bass slam/impact. So it seems to bring you closer to the recording while slightly making the sound stage smaller.

Nov 30, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #9,319 of 13,503
For me, higher gain seems to add more weight to the sound....

Whether it is to do with greater voltage swings? Maybe someone can enlighten me as I have no idea
confused_face_2.gif

Nov 30, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #9,320 of 13,503
i thought the low, mid and high sound sound the same on my 334s..

what I did was just put it in low gain (more batt).. then EQ all the bass freq dramatically down except for the 31, leaving it on default

they don't sound thick anymore, not forward mids and still have the transparency which I hear from the "line out"

Nov 30, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #9,321 of 13,503
Quote:
For me, higher gain seems to add more weight to the sound....

Whether it is to do with greater voltage swings? Maybe someone can enlighten me as I have no idea
confused_face_2.gif

I agree it does give a sense of thickening the sound. But at the same time it is bringing the music presentation closer to you. It feels as if it may be compressing it a bit to do this. I can tell the difference even when lowing the volume still. Not exactly the same as having it on low gain. I actually prefer medium gain with most of my IEMs.

Nov 30, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #9,322 of 13,503
Quote:
i thought the low, mid and high sound sound the same on my 334s..

what I did was just put it in low gain (more batt).. then EQ all the bass freq dramatically down except for the 31, leaving it on default

they don't sound thick anymore, not forward mids and still have the transparency which I hear from the "line out"

I'm not sure if this may be due to the 334s already compressed sound stage. At least from what I heard the sound stage is rather narrow. Has good depth but not much width at all. More of an in your head sound.

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #9,324 of 13,503
Quote:

I'm not sure if this may be due to the 334s already compressed sound stage. At least from what I heard the sound stage is rather narrow. Has good depth but not much width at all. More of an in your head sound.

yes you're right about it..  but at least wide enough for me ...

i'm not sure if it's about the compressed soundstage too.. but I also experienced this on the westone 4R when paired with the headstage arrow 4g.. the sound becomes forward, becomes way thick and the soundstage suffers almost having the claustrophobic feeling.. could it be the response of a 4 BA driver on amps? or maybe the tg334s are just bassy.. they are way more bassier than the westone 4R on the ipod classic, iphone 4s and MacBook..

but thankfully I was able to mange it by EQing the bass frequencies on Poweramp so there's no problem on the soundstage at all and doesn't have that thickness to it.

EDIT: this is of course with the 000 cables that gives mooore soundstage
rolleyes.gif

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #9,325 of 13,503
Quote:

yes you're right about it..  but at least wide enough for me ...

i'm not sure if it's about the compressed soundstage too.. but I also experienced this on the westone 4R when paired with the headstage arrow 4g.. the sound becomes forward, becomes way thick and the soundstage suffers almost having the claustrophobic feeling.. could it be the response of a 4 BA driver on amps? or maybe the tg334s are just bassy.. they are way more bassier than the westone 4R on the ipod classic, iphone 4s and MacBook..

but thankfully I was able to mange it by EQing the bass frequencies on Poweramp so there's no problem on the soundstage at all and doesn't have that thickness to it.

EDIT: this is of course with the 000 cables that gives mooore soundstage
rolleyes.gif

Well I agree with you they are very bassy but not so much in a bad way IMO. I actually like bass heavy signatures but I don't want the bass to cloud everything. I don't feel this is the case on the 334 as it compliments the mids quite well. Just it is very thick and would take even me a little adjusting to :). I do feel it does take less effort to listen to them since they are more intimate however. So it really depends on how you look at it :).

Dec 1, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #9,327 of 13,503
Quote:
whick is thicker for you, 1Plus2 or tg334?

334 bass is thicker to me. But 1Plus2 has more bass presence to it. Also I don't feel the bass on the 1Plus2 gets overwhelming. Unless I EQ the bass way up then possibly lol. But stock its never a problem and adding a little bass with the Triad doesn't hurt either. It actually warms up the mids a little which can be nice in certain tracks. When I wear the 1Plus2s I feel more like I'm wearing full size headphones with its presentation. So the sound stage is very spacious yet you get a meaty (full) sound to it. I haven't demoed their new 1Plus2 yet so I cannot comment in comparison with that just yet.

Dec 1, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #9,328 of 13,503
Hey figgie any update on ibasso sending out your DX100 unit for purposes of further improving the UI? I'm also wondering if they have gotten back in touch with Dmirty regarding the API. There's only so much we can do. I put the key in their hands now it is up to them to open the door....

Dec 1, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #9,329 of 13,503
Quote:
Hey figgie any update on ibasso sending out your DX100 unit for purposes of further improving the UI? I'm also wondering if they have gotten back in touch with Dmirty regarding the API. There's only so much we can do. I put the key in their hands now it is up to them to open the door....

As of yesterday, he hasn't got it or any communication from them either. I've followed it up with them and sent them an email with his shipping address. Waiting for their reply now. Doesn't hurt to spam them a little with emails... shows them we care :).

Dec 1, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #9,330 of 13,503
Quote:
As of yesterday, he hasn't got it or any communication from them either. I've followed it up with them and sent them an email with his shipping address. Waiting for their reply now. Doesn't hurt to spam them a little with emails... shows them we care :).

lol I think I'll do that. After all it is in our best interest. Just they will profit from it in the long run :wink:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back