iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
May 5, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #5,821 of 13,503
There is a learning curve with most anything, even walking. The only thing I want is the art work but other than that, I am not having any issues though I do have outstanding sound, which gets better and better. 

May 5, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #5,823 of 13,503
Quote:
There is a learning curve with most anything, even walking. The only thing I want is the art work but other than that, I am not having any issues though I do have outstanding sound, which gets better and better. 

x2, I've always been pretty OCD about file naming and album art, so it's tiny shame my flac art doesn't show. But it really is sounding better. I'm usually skeptical about burn-in. But it sounds better from initial unboxing by a fair amount. I'm only at 30 hrs hope the improvement continues. :)

May 5, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #5,824 of 13,503
Quote:
x2, I've always been pretty OCD about file naming and album art, so it's tiny shame my flac art doesn't show. But it really is sounding better. I'm usually skeptical about burn-in. But it sounds better from initial unboxing by a fair amount. I'm only at 30 hrs hope the improvement continues. :)

Oh, it will. Three hundred hours and more but frankly I enjoyed it most of the time but noticed a downturn around 250 hours and then around 275, or a day later of constant playing, an uptick in sound and all great from there. 

May 5, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #5,825 of 13,503
Quote:
Oh, it will. Three hundred hours and more but frankly I enjoyed it most of the time but noticed a downturn around 250 hours and then around 275, or a day later of constant playing, an uptick in sound and all great from there. 

So what EQ are you using jamato? EQ flat or are you leaving the EQ closed?

May 5, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #5,826 of 13,503
Quote:
So what EQ are you using jamato? EQ flat or are you leaving the EQ closed?

No EQ, I keep it closed. I like an amp or whatever to do what they do and if they don't do what I like, I move on. In this case, for me, I get a great balance across the audio spectrum from sound to sound stage and transparency. Couldn't be much happier. 

May 5, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #5,827 of 13,503
Quote:
No EQ, I keep it closed. I like an amp or whatever to do what they do and if they don't do what I like, I move on. In this case, for me, I get a great balance across the audio spectrum from sound to sound stage and transparency. Couldn't be much happier. 

Yeah I'm enjoying it closed the best as well. When it's open things are taken too far away. The presentation lacks intimacy although the sound stage does get bigger with it being open. I already have a large enough sound stage with my IEMs :p.

May 5, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #5,828 of 13,503
Quote:
Yeah I'm enjoying it closed the best as well. When it's open things are taken too far away. The presentation lacks intimacy although the sound stage does get bigger with it being open. I already have a large enough sound stage with my IEMs :p.

I live in Arizona but two days ago made a trip out here to the east coast of the US I had not used my JH13's for a little while and in the past, haven't enjoyed them a great deal on the plane in the past. The sound was so good, excellent, I could not believe the difference from my other portable systems of the past. The defining sound I got that overpowered the rumbling of the plane and distractions made the trip enjoyable. 

May 6, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #5,830 of 13,503
Some have thought the DX100 was defective and is a total piece of junk. I had the same inclination for 2 weeks when I got mine in March. This was my first foray into portable music player besides iPod/iPhone so I followed this thread from day 1 and made the decision to jump in on the 2nd batch. Moving away from familiar Apple UI, this thing was a real pain to get working properly. Even after following some helpful advices from head-fiers, it still didn't work right: no album art, songs in disarray, popping noises, etc. Like others, I thought it was hopeless until I played with more and really discovered its potentials.

I spent ridiculous amount of time copying, deleting, converting/encoding and transferring songs between my Mac and DX100. It was a learning experience. Some might say it shouldn't be that way because we pay so much for a premium player. But I like to think that there is also some fun in exploring something new and figuring out how to make it work for you. If anyone wants it easy, the choice is iPod/iPhones and iTunes. With the right Android apps, you can customize the UI  (e.g. GO Launcher) to your liking. Even the music player can be changed (e.g. Poweramp). Trial & error is not that bad although I'd really appreciate a manual. I'm sure iBasso will hear us and come out with one soon. So far they have responded well to fixing the firmware bugs and improving the SQ. Try asking Apple or any consumer electronic company to do that with their products. Kudos to iBasso, a China manufacturer, for taking a big step in good customer service.

If you have music already in iTunes (AIFF/Lossless rips from CDs, not purchased ones) and want them to be in order and with album art in DX100, just convert them to FLAC using XLD. Go to Preferences in XLD and change the Output format (I use FLAC) and Output directory (so that you can find it easily). Then open the album folder (Music>iTunes>iTunes Media>Music>"artist">"album") in XLD to convert it to new format. You can also add Covert Art (drag & drop from iTunes). Copy this new folder to DX100 and if cover art still doesn't show (haven't figured out why) just download Cover Art Downloader from Google Play and add the album art manually.

I have no problems with the music, it has been excellent so far but battery life is too short: max 6 hours. It drains if you just put it to sleep and didn't turn off completely. I also find it to be too warm after a couple hours of use. It is a good hand warmer in winter but not comfortable at all in the tropics.

Fruits of labor are sweeter...my 2 cents in user experience.

May 6, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #5,831 of 13,503
So is there a program that will convert FLAC to AIFF and preserve the meta data? 

May 6, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #5,833 of 13,503
It is to use the FLAC file with iTunes on a Mac. But all the data needs to be preserved, metadata. So MAX does this? 

May 6, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #5,835 of 13,503
Quote:
I'm thinking about converting all my mp3s into the highest compressed FLAC so the player doesn't stop all together and force me to reboot... 

You can't convert mp3 to FLAC :wink:. I hope you mean re-ripping your CDs or acquiring Lossless downloads. If you upconvert your mp3s all you are doing is wasting space and degrading the quality even more :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back