Ibasso Discrete portable DAC with R2R D16
Feb 1, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #136 of 489
To me if the DAC of D16 fed by a phone/computer is nicer sounding than the coming XD05 R2R DAC as well as able to rival top high end DAPs then I'll certainly be willing to pay more to get D16 instead of XD05 . I was originally quite positive about XD05 because of it's flexibility but I don't have any appetite for a ESS or AKM DAC, all I'd want from it is the future R2R.

I already have an incredible transportable tube amp, Woo WA8 so I've been waiting for some time to complement it with a top DAC that sounds very analog and D16 seems to be the one. My requirement though is that it has to rival DAPs while being fed by a phone/computer, not a DAP. I know this puts the D16 at a disadvantage but at the end of the day, if I have to buy a DAP as source for the D16 then I'll simply by the top high end DAP and that's it. For me the value of a transportable device is that you can plug it in your phone or computer and have almost desktop quality sound. As soon as you need to feed it with a DAP then to me it looses its main purpose, better go for the simplicity of a high end DAP. Anyway, that's only my needs, maybe I'm a one of a kind and most buyers are happy to use a DAP to feed transportable devices.
I really don’t understand why you keep claiming that the D16 can’t be used with a phone, but need a DAP ?

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #137 of 489
Whitigir, where exactly in my words am I « claiming » that D16 can’t be used with a phone? Maybe my English is not the greatest so I'll try to rephrase with other words.

You yourself clearly described that D16 with a DAP as source (coax connection) sounds better than D16 with a phone as source (USB connection), and this is perfectly normal, it is not the D16 fault or limitation, it is the phone USB limitation/fault. D16 works perfectly fine with a phone, sounds really good with a phone, BUT, it sounds at least a tiny bit better with a DAP coax connection as source. Isn't that exactly what you yourself are claiming in your review/comments?

So my point, and hopefully I'm able to write clearly this time, is that for my personal use and preferences, I will be using the D16 (or any other transportable DAC) with a phone (or computer) as source via USB. So if D16 (or XD05 or other transportable) used with a phone as source, is not able to equal or surpass the sound quality of a high end DAP (N7, R8 II, N8ii, RS8,...) then for me, and me only, I will prefer to buy a DAP to get the ultimate sound quality then having to buy D16 as well as a DAP to serve as source.

Please let me know if it is more clear this time. I am not bashing D16, my intention is not to say D16 isn't the greatest DAC on the market right now, and certainly not trying to say you did not provide us with great info on it up to now. Since I don't have a big budget, I have to be selective what I buy so that is why I'm grateful to the nice folks here on this forum that buy a lot of these new equipment and are able to provide nice feedback and comparison between different solutions.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 5:12 PM Post #138 of 489
Whitigir, where exactly in my words am I « claiming » that D16 can’t be used with a phone? Maybe my English is not the greatest so I'll try to rephrase with other words.

You yourself clearly described that D16 with a DAP as source (coax connection) sounds better than D16 with a phone as source (USB connection), and this is perfectly normal, it is not the D16 fault or limitation, it is the phone USB limitation/fault. D16 works perfectly fine with a phone, sounds really good with a phone, BUT, it sounds at least a tiny bit better with a DAP coax connection as source. Isn't that exactly what you yourself are claiming in your review/comments?

So my point, and hopefully I'm able to write clearly this time, is that for my personal use and preferences, I will be using the D16 (or any other transportable DAC) with a phone (or computer) as source via USB. So if D16 (or XD05 or other transportable) used with a phone as source, is not able to equal or surpass the sound quality of a high end DAP (N7, R8 II, N8ii, RS8,...) then for me, and me only, I will prefer to buy a DAP to get the ultimate sound quality then having to buy D16 as well as a DAP to serve as source.

Please let me know if it is more clear this time. I am not bashing D16, my intention is not to say D16 isn't the greatest DAC on the market right now, and certainly not trying to say you did not provide us with great info on it up to now. Since I don't have a big budget, I have to be selective what I buy so that is why I'm grateful to the nice folks here on this forum that buy a lot of these new equipment and are able to provide nice feedback and comparison between different solutions.
In a sense, you want a comparisons between D16+Phones VS R8ii as an example ?

Feb 1, 2024 at 5:28 PM Post #139 of 489
In a sense, you want a comparisons between D16+Phones VS R8ii as an example ?
Yes exactly, good example, R8ii and N7 are both not to far from the price of D16 so for someone like me who does not own a DAP, if you have to buy one for D16 to sound as good as R8ii or N7 on their own then it is not that great.

It is also known that, for example, N7 as a great line out. So if for example D16+phone used as a DAC only into an external amp (like my Woo WA8), is not the same level as N7 line out into the same amp, then its not the greatest for me at least.

I know I have specific use cases but hey, isn't this hobby fun! :beerchug:

Feb 1, 2024 at 5:31 PM Post #140 of 489
Yes exactly, good example, R8ii and N7 are both not to far from the price of D16 so for someone like me who does not own a DAP, if you have to buy one for D16 to sound as good as R8ii or N7 on their own then it is not that great.

It is also known that, for example, N7 as a great line out. So if for example D16+phone used as a DAC only into an external amp (like my Woo WA8), is not the same level as N7 line out into the same amp, then its not the greatest for me at least. And I know this is not D16 fault, most if not all devices from all manufacturers sound less good on their USB IN then their coax in.

Feb 1, 2024 at 6:36 PM Post #141 of 489

It is also known that, for example, N7 as a great line out. So if for example D16+phone used as a DAC only into an external amp (like my Woo WA8), is not the same level as N7 line out into the same amp, then its not the greatest for me at least.

I see, pardon my previous thoughts. I sometimes read beyond the lines and ways deep into implicative meanings.

I dont have N7 to compare directly for you, you will need @twister6 for that. It will take sometimes for sure :). For now, sit back and relax, enjoy the posts from other people who will soon join us for impressions and comparisons

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 6:49 PM Post #142 of 489
How does the sound signature of the D16 compare with that of the DX320MAX? And is one subjectively better than the other or are they just different from one another?

I would be interested if anybody says that a $1,500 DAC / AMP is subjectively better sound wise than a $3,000 DAP?

Feb 1, 2024 at 6:54 PM Post #143 of 489
I see, pardon my previous thoughts. I sometimes read beyond the lines and ways deep into implicative meanings.

I dont have N7 to compare directly for you, you will need @twister6 for that. It will take sometimes for sure :). For now, sit back and relax, enjoy the posts from other people who will soon join us for impressions and comparisons
No worries Whitigir, I appreciate our conversations and I’m sure it brings interesting info for people watching, at least your feedback is very valuable for me.

Yes I’m sure a lot of people are going to buy D16 in the next few weeks/months and other comparo are going to pop up.

Feb 1, 2024 at 7:06 PM Post #144 of 489
How does the sound signature of the D16 compare with that of the DX320MAX? And is one subjectively better than the other or are they just different from one another?

I would be interested if anybody says that a $1,500 DAC / AMP is subjectively better sound wise than a $3,000 DAP?
It is a lot better in my opinions, even when compared 320M line out into my 300B amp vs D16 line out with 320M as a coax transport into my 300B amp.

The same happening for PB5

Sound signature and subjectivity aside, the tonal body accuracy coming off the D16 is insanely realistic VS 320M

It is so realistic that you can totally pick a synthetic beats out of the organic instruments in Taylor Swift for example, and without efforts

About sound signatures, I would say both 320M and D16 is natural and neutral. The PB5 is slightly warm from the combo

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 7:19 PM Post #145 of 489
To me on decently recorded music it is like a live feed. On well recorded music it is beyond.

Feb 1, 2024 at 7:23 PM Post #146 of 489
It is a lot better in my opinions, even when compared 320M line out into my 300B amp vs D16 line out with 320M as a coax transport into my 300B amp.

The same happening for PB5

Sound signature and subjectivity aside, the tonal body accuracy coming off the D16 is insanely realistic VS 320M

It is so realistic that you can totally pick a synthetic beats out of the organic instruments in Taylor Swift for example, and without efforts

About sound signatures, I would say both 320M and D16 is natural and neutral. The PB5 is slightly warm from the combo

Thank you very much for that insight! That is really helpful 🙏

The reason I asked is because I have just ordered a PB5 direct from iBasso yesterday.

My rationale is to sell my Burson desktop amplifier, purchase a D16 and move to a complete portable setup using my 300MAX Ti as a transport which would work really well for my needs.

That way I would have total flexibility and use my other iBasso devices when I am out and about 💯👍

Feb 1, 2024 at 7:52 PM Post #147 of 489

The reason I asked is because I have just ordered a PB5 direct from iBasso yesterday.

My rationale is to sell my Burson desktop amplifier, purchase a D16 and move to a complete portable setup using my 300MAX Ti as a transport which would work really well for my needs.

That way I would have total flexibility and use my other iBasso devices when I am out and about 💯👍

And the system better than most any home system.

Feb 1, 2024 at 7:53 PM Post #148 of 489
Anyone know when d16 will go on sale?
also, would coax out be the same quality from 320m & dx260 to d16?
i know 320m has separate power supply for digital
just wondering

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 8:13 PM Post #150 of 489

I am almost certain that you will absolutely love it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back