Ibasso Discrete portable DAC with R2R D16
Feb 2, 2024 at 4:09 PM Post #166 of 538
:)

IMG_8634.jpegIMG_8636.jpeg

Feb 2, 2024 at 4:09 PM Post #167 of 538
That's interesting, DC Elite has the Rohm chip while D16 DAC should be a very different sound signature. Did you do a head to head between DC Elite to PB5 vs D16 to PB5? This comparo could give us a sense of the specific flavour of the D16.

Also, well I'd be shocked if we would get better results using DC Elite as a DDC before D16. I can't imagine that iBasso would have put better electronics into the USB IN of it's $449 dongle then inside its flagship transportable DAC D16! But you never know, only some test cases will tell for sure! :scream:
I only have DC Elite so cannot comment on D16 or PB5 (yet).
My comment with DC Elite as DDC was actually only a joke but who knows...
Whoever has DC Elite and D16, should just give it a go and tell what it's like.
Vince stated before coax sounds better or at least different.
Though it might not be the cleanest way it might suffice to enable that coax tonality without needing to invest into a full size DAP

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #170 of 538
The Jr as that’s the DX260. 😏
Awesome :laughing:

If iBasso is reading this thread they must be laughing, they'll probably start marketing the iBUS! :ksc75smile:

Feb 2, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #171 of 538
Feb 2, 2024 at 5:54 PM Post #172 of 538
I only have DC Elite so cannot comment on D16 or PB5 (yet).
My comment with DC Elite as DDC was actually only a joke but who knows...
Whoever has DC Elite and D16, should just give it a go and tell what it's like.
Vince stated before coax sounds better or at least different.
Though it might not be the cleanest way it might suffice to enable that coax tonality without needing to invest into a full size DAP
I can tell you a very sure thing is that 320Max + PB5 is still Far and Far away from D16+PB5 regardless of digital transports

That is why I rate D16 very very highly. If anyone asked me which one is the best piece right at this moment, it is the D16

If you have the budget to fathom PB5 together ? You will be in for a treat. Because these 2 are magical when paired with one another

If you don’t have the budget ? Just a phone to D16 and you will witness what I am so head over heels for.

People asked me if D16 is recommended with other amps beside PB5 ? Heck! Why not ? I love the PB5 for portable but the 300B I have will sing it heart out with D16 as a source. So is my Stereos using D16 at home

I also got asked that If it is worth investing into 320Max or D16/PB5. I will tell you this, do not go for anything else , only consider D16/PB5 as soon as you have these 2 criteria:

1/ stacking up is fine
2/ Loving music and chasing analogue performances

Unless you really want an All in one, then go for 320Max

Then of course, you can go for the IBus : Trinity , the 320M/D16/PB5.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 5:42 AM Post #173 of 538
I can tell you a very sure thing is that 320Max + PB5 is still Far and Far away from D16+PB5 regardless of digital transports

That is why I rate D16 very very highly. If anyone asked me which one is the best piece right at this moment, it is the D16

If you have the budget to fathom PB5 together ? You will be in for a treat. Because these 2 are magical when paired with one another

If you don’t have the budget ? Just a phone to D16 and you will witness what I am so head over heels for.

People asked me if D16 is recommended with other amps beside PB5 ? Heck! Why not ? I love the PB5 for portable but the 300B I have will sing it heart out with D16 as a source. So is my Stereos using D16 at home

I also got asked that If it is worth investing into 320Max or D16/PB5. I will tell you this, do not go for anything else , only consider D16/PB5 as soon as you have these 2 criteria:

1/ stacking up is fine
2/ Loving music and chasing analogue performances

Unless you really want an All in one, then go for 320Max

Then of course, you can go for the IBus : Trinity , the 320M/D16/PB5.
Does not get the stack too hot? Have you considered some form Of heat sink? I am planning to use the D16 with C9 but the heat will be too much

Feb 3, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #175 of 538
The stack never get hot, and that is another yet wonderful feature from Ibasso. I can wrap it in my blanket and still only luke warm
Another one for iBasso:

« Get yourself an iBUS Trinity for an under the covers luke warm experience! »

🤣

Feb 4, 2024 at 2:08 AM Post #176 of 538
The D16 as a DAC/Amp is serious good sounding. So clean and resolute with really fantastic soundstage with excellent Spatial Audio image. I am so glad that I bought the D16 along with the PB-5.

Feb 5, 2024 at 8:50 AM Post #177 of 538
Feb 5, 2024 at 9:22 AM Post #178 of 538
@Whitigir
Vince, do you think something like this is making sense for mobile phone or non Coax capable DAC as a source or is it not bringing extra value over USB-C direct?
https://store.hiby.com/products/hiby-type-c-to-3-5mm-gold-plating-coaxial-cable
That's an interesting question because I was wondering also how HiBy DAPs were listing a "coax out" connectivity without any connector on the device. So it look like their DAPs output "coax" over an USBC connector. I'm all confused! :laughing:

Feb 5, 2024 at 9:40 AM Post #179 of 538
@Whitigir
Vince, do you think something like this is making sense for mobile phone or non Coax capable DAC as a source or is it not bringing extra value over USB-C direct?
https://store.hiby.com/products/hiby-type-c-to-3-5mm-gold-plating-coaxial-cable
That's an interesting question because I was wondering also how HiBy DAPs were listing a "coax out" connectivity without any connector on the device. So it look like their DAPs output "coax" over an USBC connector. I'm all confused! :laughing:
This is a good question. As we all have known it, USB type C is capable of multiple outputs, even if it is HDMI, or Digital music, and of course Coax out is not out of the question.

It brings us back to a couple foundations of USB as an interface. It has to go through a processing chips. Let's take Thunderbolt IC chip for an example. The JHL 8540 is a chip for that, and it conducts universally for many different tasks. The question would be, was it made dedicated toward music ?

I am thinking that Hiby is also using USB type C interfaces but configured it to enable Coax out. This Coax out is already Digital to Digital Converted, and is not Pure Coax, as the signals have to go through the USB C processing chips and get processed before going out. This will define the Coax out to be yet another USB interface and not true coax. What would be worse is that it takes an "Extra step" to process. Everything Extra is not worth it

Though, I have not been following these new products lines up from brands like Hiby for example. You will need to ask @Z_Showmaster and see what he knows as an insider ?

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 1:44 AM Post #180 of 538
@Whitigir
Vince, I'd like to try hooking up D16 to my Ifi Zen Stream at my bedside for Roon streaming.
That device features some Cinch-socket that I ve been using with according Cinch cables to my desktop DAC.
Which 1m cable will I need to connect D16 to that Cinch port?
Will a usual Mono Cinch to 3.5mm cable with good quality suffice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back