Ibasso Discrete portable DAC with R2R D16
Jan 30, 2024 at 4:26 PM Post #106 of 538
So what is an 8E PWM DAC? Is it just marketing speak for an 8-bit DAC (as in 'E' for ENOB), or is it something more exotic?
8 elements of Pulse Width Modulation arrays. Because the D16 seems to be using 4X Oversampling which puts it at 128X DSD quality or Twice SACD standard. We now have a total of 32 elements here. Yet, we have balanced 2 channels. That makes it a total of 128 elements
So we did get confirmation of iBasso's FPGA 2 timing the 32 level outputs per phase clock cycle by cycle for construction of the audio waveform.

Screenshot 2024-01-24 at 11.36.17 AM.png

Indeed if we see it as a 128 element DAC (32x4) and the corresponding 128 resistors, then we are looking at a low-pass Resistor-Capacitor filter together with the 16 capacitors in the circuit to pass on the decoded analog.

Screenshot 2024-01-24 at 11.33.42 AM.png

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 8:35 PM Post #107 of 538
8 elements of Pulse Width Modulation arrays. Because the D16 seems to be using 4X Oversampling which puts it at 128X DSD quality or Twice SACD standard. We now have a total of 32 elements here. Yet, we have balanced 2 channels. That makes it a total of 128 elements
4x oversampling would be 176.4/192khz and the modulator is running at about 1024x os (this is separate from the fir parallel-delay filter).

Jan 30, 2024 at 8:37 PM Post #108 of 538
It's important not to confuse that the D16 is a 1-bit DSD DAC and can strictly only decode 1-bit at its point of digital conversion to analog. It will no-way no-how decode 8 bits, which is PCM.

The entire pre-processing stage executes DSP at very high bit and sample rate DXD (Multibit), before that's prepped for the actual decoding at 1-bit DSD.

The elements, simplified, operate at different clock cycles to reconstruct the decoded digital as a finer, more precise waveform. There are 32 elements that output one after the other at set intervals, each assigned a part of your music and run at 49Mhz (18 times base DSD rate) before their outputs are summed to give you your music.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 10:18 PM Post #110 of 538
It's important not to confuse that the D16 is a 1-bit DSD DAC and can strictly only decode 1-bit at its point of digital conversion to analog. It will no-way no-how decode 8 bits, which is PCM.

The entire pre-processing stage executes DSP at very high bit and sample rate DXD (Multibit), before that's prepped for the actual decoding at 1-bit DSD.

The elements, simplified, operate at different clock cycles to reconstruct the decoded digital as a finer, more precise waveform. There are 32 elements that output one after the other at set intervals, each assigned a part of your music and run at 49Mhz (18 times base DSD rate) before their outputs are summed to give you your music.
Pretty amazing at how Ibasso is doing this on the D16, because there is virtually no Heat generated even when I use PCM 176.4Khz

Jan 31, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #113 of 538
Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #114 of 538
My takes on D16 overall performances in general here

Nice write up Whitigir.

If you don't mind, just a request so we can get things more into perspective. In my opinion the amp has a huge effect on the sound. All these nice comments about D16, was it all through the PB5 amp or directly connected at the D16 headphone out? Could you just bring more comments and add the effect of whichever amp you are using, obviously always with the same cans/IEMs! I'll be especially curious on the sound directly through the D16 vs PB5 or any other amps you have.

Jan 31, 2024 at 2:02 PM Post #115 of 538
Many thanks for great description..👍 May I ask you, or other guys hear, if the d16 is comparable in SQ to good quality r2r desktop dac (for example R26 which I love in my desktop setup) If yes (and from your experience, it is), then is my wallet and hard earned money in big danger😀
I have not personally heard R26, nor have I looked into it technical specs. However I did have experienced with AugioGD and it was similar to other digital systems I have heard, and would still qualify within my general sum up of being 5% differences. The below link leads to the newest products
http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/R28NOS/R28NOSEN.htm

There are too many topology and implementations of R2R that once we talk about R2R, we can easily be confused. I have heard from a friend who has Mola Mola Tambaqui to state that D16 sounds similar with different signature, but I would not want to touch that DAC as it is to the moon pricing. For now, I am very happy with D16 in a pocketable size. In facts, I have been listening Non stop to D16/pb5. Hence I claimed the D16 to be the best of all systems I have gone through, including desktop systems, which I posted previously in a more technical details

Jan 31, 2024 at 2:04 PM Post #116 of 538
In my opinion the amp has a huge effect on the sound.
You are absolutely correct, once you have an ideal source of analog signals, the amp will be your next essential pieces. I posted about this previously. Here we go

The amp greatly affect the end results and especially for portable stack. This is why I will be posting about the PB5 and why the magic happens when Paired with D16

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 2:05 PM Post #117 of 538
I have not personally heard R26, nor have I looked into it technical specs. However I did have experienced with AugioGD and it was similar to other digital systems I have heard, and would still qualify within my general sum up of being 5% differences. The below link leads to the newest products
http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/R28NOS/R28NOSEN.htm

There are too many topology and implementations of R2R that once we talk about R2R, we can easily be confused. I have heard from a friend who has Mola Mola Tambaqui to state that D16 sounds similar with different signature, but I would not want to touch that DAC as it is to the moon pricing. For now, I am very happy with D16 in a pocketable size. In facts, I have been listening Non stop to D16/pb5. Hence I claimed the D16 to be the best of all systems I have gone through, including desktop systems, which I posted previously in a more technical details
many thanks, your info is very appreciated👍

Jan 31, 2024 at 2:20 PM Post #119 of 538
You are welcome. Please don't just take my words for it, rather, you should audition the D16 before you decide :)
It should be ideal, but the importer hear doesnt have it, maby later, it is still new... I want portable "endgame" for my iems... now I have only RU7 dongle, which is very good, but I know it can be much better😀

Jan 31, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #120 of 538
It should be ideal, but the importer hear doesnt have it, maby later, it is still new... I want portable "endgame" for my iems... now I have only RU7 dongle, which is very good, but I know it can be much better😀
RU7 has true LO, right?
Actually you should think about pairing RU7 with PB5 as imho PB5 will matter more even with IEMs
Edit: I am sure D16 will be technically better than RU7 Dongle (won't be so sure vs N7).
For a truly portable setup I'd found that experiment with true LO Dongle into PB5 very interesting.
Still D16 might again raise the bar higher but won't be an as portable friendly solution

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back