IBasso DC-Elite . . . The no compromise DAC/AMP with a true Stepped Attenuator
Mar 29, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #316 of 449
Thanks quaddac, yes, that reference point maybe a trade-in for the hiby and an A/kern SE300 or Ibasso DX320 purchase, but will be keeping the DC Elite.
I meant comparison with rather lower level devices (e.g. mid-price dongle). The differences are clearly obvious. I'm also staying with dc elite for a long time. I don't see the point in upgrading for a fraction of the improvements. I think I have to stop sometime and this is the moment.

Mar 30, 2024 at 2:42 AM Post #317 of 449
Bits are bits and there is no difference has been stated over the years. But there are differences. Timing of the signal that is received that is from the source. This has been a debated since CDs came out and a little before as digital took off. Then there is also the DC power to the DC-Elite or any dongle. How clean is it does it deliver current on demand or does it decrease it some. That is where a powerbank may help or not, depending upon your source. There are so many variables.

The DC-Elite is built to get the most out of the source. It has so much built into it, so much R&D, that a few years ago, would have cost far more and been considered unreasonable to try to obtain. But here we are with a dongle that has a True stepped attenuator, a True desktop dac chip in the ROHM chip and when you think about all that you are getting in a small package, an extremely reasonable price. So, Enjoy the Music and enjoy the exploring of options.
Any half decent DAC these days will re-clock the digital input and buffer it so unless the bits are really messed up, in which case there would be audio dropouts and glitches in the sound, there are no measurable differences so how can people hear a difference? As the DC Elite has an FPGA in it there will be resampling of the digital stream occurring so its not an issue IMHO.

I see you side-stepped the question of people's concern about the volume control not having enough resolution to control the volume levels when using sensitive IEMs and Headphones.

The second marketing paragraph in your reply is awesome but we already know that. :)

Mar 30, 2024 at 8:10 AM Post #318 of 449
Any half decent DAC these days will re-clock the digital input and buffer it so unless the bits are really messed up, in which case there would be audio dropouts and glitches in the sound, there are no measurable differences so how can people hear a difference? As the DC Elite has an FPGA in it there will be resampling of the digital stream occurring so its not an issue IMHO.

I see you side-stepped the question of people's concern about the volume control not having enough resolution to control the volume levels when using sensitive IEMs and Headphones.

The second marketing paragraph in your reply is awesome but we already know that. :)

Mark, the stepped attenuator in DC Elite, the same as in Max320 Ti, D16, and PB5, increments volume in 3dB steps. But DC Elite also has a side button to fine adjust that in 1dB steps. That helps me with my sensitive iems.

Mar 30, 2024 at 9:43 AM Post #319 of 449
Mark, the stepped attenuator in DC Elite, the same as in Max320 Ti, D16, and PB5, increments volume in 3dB steps. But DC Elite also has a side button to fine adjust that in 1dB steps. That helps me with my sensitive iems.
Thank you again for taking the time to provide your input, yes I was aware of the digital attenuation feature. For that to be useful for me the digital attenuation levels would need to be larger, perhaps 3db steps.

I won't use it anyway because its working in the digital domain so will add distortion to the output (note I'm not implying noise I'm referring to THD before anyone else says they can't hear any background noise)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_harmonic_distortion

I've mentioned it before but IMHO once you start applying digital attenuation you might as well remove the stepped attenuation from the design and go with a digital volume control.

Anyway on a positive note another great pairing with the DC Elite is the Westone MACH 80, awesome sound, it really brings out the best of both dongle and IEM and I can listen at 5 clicks so plenty of reolution and better than some of the IEM's I have tried.

MACH 80 specs:
  • 3-way Passive Crossover.
  • DRIVERS: Eight Balanced-Armature Drivers.
  • FREQ RESPONSE: 5Hz – 22kHz.
  • SENSITIVITY: 104dB @1kHz.
  • IMPEDANCE: 66 Ohms @1kHz.
I have this 4.4mm cable which is also OK for use with the MACH 80.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...martRedirect=y&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 12:39 AM Post #320 of 449
Hello Paul-IBASSO.
Could you please reply my question ?
Some people like me with a bit L/R ears imbalance request such an important function to make a better listening.
Old DC03pro has this function.
But why the flagship model DC elite HAS NO such function?
where is the 20 steps of L/R balance ? even I downloaded the latest verion of UAC app.
Hello Paul-IBASSo.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 1:04 AM Post #321 of 449
Hello Paul-IBASSO.
Some people like me with a bit L/R ears imbalance request such an important function to make a better listening.
Old DC03pro has this function.
But why the flagship model DC elite HAS NO such function?

Hello Paul-IBASSo.
I understand and can appreciate your need for a balance control but unlike other dongles the DC Elite has a true stepped attenuator. There would have to be another resistor network for a balance control and there is no room for that. The DC Elite would have to be larger and that would be objectionable to many.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Mar 31, 2024 at 1:38 AM Post #322 of 449
I understand and can appreciate your need for a balance control but unlike other dongles the DC Elite has a true stepped attenuator. There would have to be another resistor network for a balance control and there is no room for that. The DC Elite would have to be larger and that would be objectionable to many.
Paul, thanks your reply.
Because I really love the sound from the DC-Elite, that is one of the best sounding device in my experience , regradless of its size, and regradless of its price.
I hope Ibasso keep making good products year after year.

Mar 31, 2024 at 12:25 PM Post #323 of 449
Thank you again for taking the time to provide your input, yes I was aware of the digital attenuation feature. For that to be useful for me the digital attenuation levels would need to be larger, perhaps 3db steps.

I won't use it anyway because its working in the digital domain so will add distortion to the output (note I'm not implying noise I'm referring to THD before anyone else says they can't hear any background noise)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_harmonic_distortion

I've mentioned it before but IMHO once you start applying digital attenuation you might as well remove the stepped attenuation from the design and go with a digital volume control.

Anyway on a positive note another great pairing with the DC Elite is the Westone MACH 80, awesome sound, it really brings out the best of both dongle and IEM and I can listen at 5 clicks so plenty of reolution and better than some of the IEM's I have tried.

MACH 80 specs:
  • 3-way Passive Crossover.
  • DRIVERS: Eight Balanced-Armature Drivers.
  • FREQ RESPONSE: 5Hz – 22kHz.
  • SENSITIVITY: 104dB @1kHz.
  • IMPEDANCE: 66 Ohms @1kHz.
I have this 4.4mm cable which is also OK for use with the MACH 80.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...martRedirect=y&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt

The same here, with MACH 80 I set my Galaxy S22 to max "digital" volume, and then only need 5-6 clicks on DC Elite with these IEMs (4.4mm BAL output), and 0dB PCM volume reduction in app (or w/side button). I'm a bigger fan of MACH 70, but MACH 80 pair-up synergy with DC Elite is very good!

Mar 31, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #324 of 449
For those with the CB19, Can you connect a USBC extension cable to the marked part in the picture ?
I want to be able to lay the Elite on the side while using my phone
CB19-EN_05-2.jpg

Mar 31, 2024 at 12:54 PM Post #325 of 449
Ordered on Amazon, and it’ll be here in a week. Some questions for those of you with iPhones.

I intend to use this with an iPhone 15 Pro Max via USB C.

With a dongle DAC like Queststyle m15i, I pretty much need to use the lowest volume setting possible with my IEMs (FiiO FH9 via balanced connection).

Regarding the DC Elite, I’ve read that the volume knob has rather large steps in volume, but I’ve also read that the button on the side can give you smaller adjustments?

Can you please explain, or better yet, can you post part of the manual so I can read about it?

I haven’t been able to find a pdf of the manual online.

Mar 31, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #326 of 449
Ordered on Amazon, and it’ll be here in a week. Some questions for those of you with iPhones.

I intend to use this with an iPhone 15 Pro Max via USB C.

With a dongle DAC like Queststyle m15i, I pretty much need to use the lowest volume setting possible with my IEMs (FiiO FH9 via balanced connection).

Regarding the DC Elite, I’ve read that the volume knob has rather large steps in volume, but I’ve also read that the button on the side can give you smaller adjustments?

Can you please explain, or better yet, can you post part of the manual so I can read about it?

I haven’t been able to find a pdf of the manual online.
The stepped attenuator works in the analog phase of the signal and the side buttons work in the digital. While using a digital volume control is not as good as the analog area of the volume, you are just using the upper range of the digital volume control which will not really affect the sound quality. So you have the 3db steps of the stepped attenuator and the 1db range of the digital volume control if you need to fine tune the volume output.

Mar 31, 2024 at 11:09 PM Post #329 of 449
I unders2tand and can appreciate your need for a balance control but unlike other dongles the DC Elite has a true stepped attenuator. There would have to be another resistor network for a balance control and there is no room for that. The DC Elite would have to be larger and that would be objectionable to many.
Paul, thanks your reply.
Because I really love the sound from the DC-Elite, that is one of the best sounding device in my experience , regradless of its size, regradless of its price.
I hope Ibasso keep making good products year after year.
In my opinion it does, easily. Too much so. lol I am amazed what they did with this. And it is very quiet so it works well with IEMs that are sensitive. I use the IT07 a lot with it and get an out front and open sound that is just plain enjoyable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back