iBasso D6 "Fer-de-Lance" USB DAC/Amp
Apr 14, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #436 of 774
First of all, there's a huge misconception that the more power a computer has, the better it will run audio. That might be true for games and apps in general, but audio is definitely not on that wagon. Of course that people shouldn't go the opposite way, meaning those puny devices known as netbooks, though those only suffer when running some VSTs on the audio chain among other things. The thing is that cycle shifts significantly increase the change of messing up USB streams, which by itself is close to irrelevant for general usage, but not for audio. Basically what I'm saying is that audio isn't battery friendly
wink.gif

Apr 14, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #437 of 774

[size=medium]
Yep, same here -- Youtube, Justin.TV, and Youstream have all done it for me. Also while listening to Pandora radio. Was the browser still open when you tried playing something from WMP? Or did you close it off to stop the static? Same with my netbook too -- it plays it just fine on XP pro 32-bit. 
Quote:
When the noise came it was when I was listening to skyfm from within firefox, and it also happened when I was watching some youtube videos. At that time I immediately tried playing something from windows media player and the noise continued. I have plenty of ram as well; 4GB. I have no other USB devices connected either. I have not encountered the issue when I use my netbook wich runs XP home 32-bit.

[/size]

If you're referring to my previous post, I wasn't implying that (if not, then disregard this message). What I meant to say was that computer power is actually irrelevant, since my high-end system still has the problem. It just came out a little oddly in response to what Estreeter said about making sure to have lots of RAM, close off unneeded processes, etc.
Quote:
First of all, there's a huge misconception that the more power a computer has, the better it will run audio. That might be true for games and apps in general, but audio is definitely not on that wagon. Of course that people shouldn't go the opposite way, meaning those puny devices known as netbooks, though those only suffer when running some VSTs on the audio chain among other things. The thing is that cycle shifts significantly increase the change of messing up USB streams, which by itself is close to irrelevant for general usage, but not for audio. Basically what I'm saying is that audio isn't battery friendly
wink.gif

Apr 14, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #438 of 774
I did not close of the browser when the static came, I will see if that has any effect when the static appears. I did watch bluray movie and did not here any static episodes.

Quote:

[size=medium]
Yep, same here -- Youtube, Justin.TV, and Youstream have all done it for me. Also while listening to Pandora radio. Was the browser still open when you tried playing something from WMP? Or did you close it off to stop the static? Same with my netbook too -- it plays it just fine on XP pro 32-bit. 
[/size]

If you're referring to my previous post, I wasn't implying that (if not, then disregard this message). What I meant to say was that computer power is actually irrelevant, since my high-end system still has the problem. It just came out a little oddly in response to what Estreeter said about making sure to have lots of RAM, close off unneeded processes, etc.

dd

Apr 16, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #439 of 774
Found the culprit causing D6 to clip in my system. I use an external battery with my HP Envy and when I used D6 without it no clipping or problems for a few days.

I still find it not as good as my Stepdance and am going to put it up for sale along with TopKit.

Apr 18, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #440 of 774

Quote:

I still find it not as good as my Stepdance and am going to put it up for sale along with TopKit.

Would you be able to give us some specifics on why your $275 DAC/amp didnt measure up to your $350 dedicated amp ? I like what I have read about the Stepdance, but the part about it chewing batteries was less enticing.

Apr 24, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #441 of 774
I've had my D6 for about a week.
My setup is: Cowon J3 > iBasso CB06 > D6 > Grado HF-2 / Westone ES5.

Very pleased with the results so far and hoping for things to improve even further throughout burn-in.
The D6 is much more transparent compared to my RSA Predator.

When using it to power my HF-2s, I am at about 12 o'clock on the D6 and 38/40 volume on the J3.
Does this volume level seem overly high to anyone?

Apr 24, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #442 of 774

Very pleased with the results so far and hoping for things to improve even further throughout burn-in.

When using it to power my HF-2s, I am at about 12 o'clock on the D6 and 38/40 volume on the J3.

YOu should consider getting Hiflights topkit the addition of the alternate opamps really makes the D6 sound even better

Apr 24, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #443 of 774
That's on my to-do list.
But in a week, I am leaving my current country for 4 months and there is not enough time for shipping.
I'll order from Ron when I return, till then i'll continue to enjoy the D6 in stock form.

Quote:
Quote:

YOu should consider getting Hiflights topkit the addition of the alternate opamps really makes the D6 sound even better

Apr 26, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #444 of 774
I just received my D6 yesterday. First impressions are very positive with my JH 16's. As this is my first amp, I was skeptical of the improvement I'd get from a stock iPod 5.5G with Rockbox, but they are beyond what I expected. I guess the biggest difference is in the bass region. The bass extends lower with more power and authority than the iPod's headphone out. I've also noticed that the entire sound spectrum has somehow "opened up" and areas which used to sound harsh are softened and smoothed out while retaining the same level of sonic detail (if not better). The D6 sounds very natural and I didn't realize that there was so much untapped potential left in my JH 16's. The USB DAC function works perfectly in Windows 7 using WASAPI and 24/96. Not sure if I want to upgrade the opamps just yet, since I'm pretty satisfied, but I might consider in the future. So far very impressed.

Current setup: Rockbox 120gb ipod 5.5G LOD --> ibasso D6 --> JH-16 pro's.

Apr 27, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #445 of 774
I just received my D6 yesterday. First impressions are very positive with my JH 16's. As this is my first amp, I was skeptical of the improvement I'd get from a stock iPod 5.5G with Rockbox, but they are beyond what I expected. I guess the biggest difference is in the bass region. The bass extends lower with more power and authority than the iPod's headphone out. I've also noticed that the entire sound spectrum has somehow "opened up" and areas which used to sound harsh are softened and smoothed out while retaining the same level of sonic detail (if not better). The D6 sounds very natural and I didn't realize that there was so much untapped potential left in my JH 16's. The USB DAC function works perfectly in Windows 7 using WASAPI and 24/96. Not sure if I want to upgrade the opamps just yet, since I'm pretty satisfied, but I might consider in the future. So far very impressed.

Current setup: Rockbox 120gb ipod 5.5G LOD --> ibasso D6 --> JH-16 pro's.

Yeah the D6 is an amazing little amp I was using it as a DAC for a few weeks until I got my new DAC now I use the D6 for my portable needs. I would consider getting the Topflight opamp kit it really makes the D6 sound even better...

Apr 27, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #446 of 774
Question for the current D6 owners:  is it possible to connect an iPhone 4 via LOD to the D6 USB port?  If so, what connector are you using?

Thanks in advance.

Apr 27, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #447 of 774

I don't think it's possible on the D6, LOD connection that is most commenly used I believe is just an unamplified analog signal. the cypher labs DAC is the only one that I can recall that has the ability to take a digital signal from an ipod.
Quote:
Question for the current D6 owners:  is it possible to connect an iPhone 4 via LOD to the D6 USB port?  If so, what connector are you using?

Thanks in advance.

Apr 27, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #448 of 774
I don't think it's possible on the D6, LOD connection that is most commenly used I believe is just an unamplified analog signal. the cypher labs DAC is the only one that I can recall that has the ability to take a digital signal from an ipod.

You can use a LOD like this one:

http://www.head-direct.com/product_detail.php?p=68

It will NOT pull the digital data from your iPod. You will need a device like the iWadia to do that. But what it will do is by-pass the iPod's attenuator which is quite poor and really degrades the sound quality. You would then simply plug it into your D6. I strongly recommend this as the improvement is very noticeable.

Apr 29, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #449 of 774

I recently started getting some 24/96 flac files (HDtracks only offers high res in flac), partly to better appreciate the differences between my iem's and gear in general. Most of my listening is on the go with iPod Classic which is a bust on high res flac (yes I have ALAC on it). I also have a 2G Touch so I got the Flac Player app which has just been enhanced for 24/96 usb dac output. This is how I arrived at the D6. I had already come across the Algo Solo but the D6 has 2 main advantages - .5x cheaper and integrated amp. I initially assumed that the same interconnect - ipod dock to usb cable, availible at Moon Audio and Alo Audio for the Solo, would be all that is additionally necessary. Before catching up on this thread, I emailed iBasso to confirm compatibility and their response was "if usb digital output, then works". So the Flac player which is designed to feed a usb dac must be providing digital input. I've emailed the app author also but haven't heard back yet. I was ready to pull the trigger but some of the recent posts here on this issue have raised doubts, implying the Algo Solo has some secret Apple sauce. I haven't found any other flac solutions other than switching to a different dap altogether.
This solution, if it works, might be unique for flac but for iPhone there's always another app should one have 24/96 alac.

Apr 30, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #450 of 774

Unfortunately the ipod/phone are hardware limited to16-bit 48kHz, FLAC player app can only decode 24/96 but the hardware will not output that. The Cypher Labs Solo can process 24/96 files but not from the ipod/phone.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/flac-player/id390532592?mt=8#

http://aloaudio.com/cypher-labs-algorhythm-solo-black-pre-order.html
Quote:

I recently started getting some 24/96 flac files (HDtracks only offers high res in flac), partly to better appreciate the differences between my iem's and gear in general. Most of my listening is on the go with iPod Classic which is a bust on high res flac (yes I have ALAC on it). I also have a 2G Touch so I got the Flac Player app which has just been enhanced for 24/96 usb dac output. This is how I arrived at the D6. I had already come across the Algo Solo but the D6 has 2 main advantages - .5x cheaper and integrated amp. I initially assumed that the same interconnect - ipod dock to usb cable, availible at Moon Audio and Alo Audio for the Solo, would be all that is additionally necessary. Before catching up on this thread, I emailed iBasso to confirm compatibility and their response was "if usb digital output, then works". So the Flac player which is designed to feed a usb dac must be providing digital input. I've emailed the app author also but haven't heard back yet. I was ready to pull the trigger but some of the recent posts here on this issue have raised doubts, implying the Algo Solo has some secret Apple sauce. I haven't found any other flac solutions other than switching to a different dap altogether.
This solution, if it works, might be unique for flac but for iPhone there's always another app should one have 24/96 alac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back