iBasso D6 "Fer-de-Lance" USB DAC/Amp
Apr 4, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #421 of 774

Quote:
Yeah I would tell them I wan a replacement I had to do this with Ibasso with a P2 back a few years ago I like the D6 it has now become a temporary DAC for my Shiit Lyr but I will be keeping it to go with my more mobile equipment it sounds amazing.

I have also been thinking about exchanging my D6 for a DB1 to use it as a DAC only with my laptop and also with a home rig (planning to buy a Burson HA-160D Amp/DAC or amp and DAC separately) when I stay there.

Apr 5, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #422 of 774

It looks like I'm lucky I have not had the ticking/popping with my D6.

I've just installed Win7 ServicePack1... for the new USB Audio driver, and also did a USB polling tweak previously that may help?
http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=pcaudio&m=78994  setting can enable/disable easily.
In Win7 playback devices/ iBasso speaker/ make sure to "disable all enhancements"
I'm genuinely curious in what could be causing the popping with some D6's.

Also out of curiosity.. I'm doing a battery run-time test with a Full complement of AD797BR's in the D6 to amp my Cowon J3.
My J3 tested to 25hr+ playing FLAC music files... so the player will def. last the duration of the test.

I've recently found a WASAPI plug-in for MediaMonkey..W00p!  I just tested, and the D6 doesn't work with it sadly. :frowning2:
Foobar WASAPI does work with D6 tho, so hopefully I can find a compatiable streaming plug-in for MediaMonkey.
I normally use MediaMonkey because of the awesome WVS plug-in for my Logitech G-15 keyboard/display. 
(spectrum analyser, lcd distort, scrolling name, track info, editable config! all keys light-up and dance to the dif. beats too) 
pretty lights tend to entertain me...  :)

@MrScary: did you try your 797's with stock versus dummy buffs? stock buffs do strange things to the 797's soundstage. 

Apr 5, 2011 at 6:49 AM Post #423 of 774
Would the D6 be able to power the HE-4?  I believe they require less power than the HE-6.  I don't currently have a desktop amp and am looking to get a decent set of full-size headphones.  HE-4 seem decent for the price if the D6 can power them adequately.

Apr 5, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #424 of 774
Interesting. I've modified the polling rate for my mouse, but didn't know this had any affect for USB devices like DACs. That's something I'll have to try in the near future. I've noticed less static scares when I have fewer things plugged into my computer's USB ports (e.g., unplugging my external USB HDD and my SteelSeries USB DAC). I can only imagine this is because it frees up the latency queue, preventing any buffer overruns.

Recent update: I think after hours of comparison, I prefer the OPA1611s (not biased to class A) to the THS4601s. The 4601s are nice, but are IMO too detailed and lively (if that makes any sense); they can actually be fatiguing to listen to for long periods of listening. I'm hoping to solder some AD797s soon and see how those sound with the THS4032s as buffers.
Quote:

I've just installed Win7 ServicePack1... for the new USB Audio driver, and also did a USB polling tweak previously that may help?
http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=pcaudio&m=78994  setting can enable/disable easily.
In Win7 playback devices/ iBasso speaker/ make sure to "disable all enhancements"

Also out of curiosity.. I'm doing a battery run-time test with a Full complement of AD797BR's in the D6 to amp my Cowon J3.
My J3 tested to 25hr+ playing FLAC music files... so the player will def. last the duration of the test.

Apr 5, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #425 of 774

I've recently found a WASAPI plug-in for MediaMonkey..W00p!  I just tested, and the D6 doesn't work with it sadly. :frowning2:
Foobar WASAPI does work with D6 tho, so hopefully I can find a compatiable streaming plug-in for MediaMonkey.
I normally use MediaMonkey because of the awesome WVS plug-in for my Logitech G-15 keyboard/display. 
(spectrum analyser, lcd distort, scrolling name, track info, editable config! all keys light-up and dance to the dif. beats too) 
pretty lights tend to entertain me...  :)

@MrScary: did you try your 797's with stock versus dummy buffs? stock buffs do strange things to the 797's soundstage. 

Yeah I tried both I didn't notice that much of a difference.. Im using the D6 now as a Dac for my Shiit Lyr so I haven't been rolling as I used to

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #427 of 774
I think decoupling my DAC (MSII) from my amp (D4 now, P4 from next week) was the brightest thing I've ever done. I like the idea that iBasso put all their efforts into building an amp, and HRT put all their efforts into building a DAC, but neither wanted to bend me over and relieve me of everything in my bank account for the privilege :)

Apr 9, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #428 of 774

Small update: Full AD797's in D6 brings the battery life down to 10.5hrs of runtime, hungry little buggers they are!
It's good enuff for my walkabouts and home-use, for longer "outings" it's great that rolling a more power conservative
set of op-amps is soo easy with the clamshell case. "2 thumbs waay up"!

With HD600/UPOCC cable I was switching inputs between D6-AD797BR and MiniHead-OPA627BP, and I love both
op-amps for their own flavours... both are Delicious! 797BR's are more posh and refined, 627BP's are just bodacious...
sassy and flamboyant, like watching a top billed "Dancer".. she may not be "all natural" but at that point.. who cares:)

Whenever I "jack" into my D6, i'm always delighted in how mature and "desktop" it sounds.

hey enjaygee, I see you're enjoying your 1611's, I should give my classA-biased ones another go... been awhiles.
I am eager to hear your impressions on AD797's with and without your THS as buffers. (as i don't has THS's) :frowning2:
and it be great if you get the B/BR version too... since I've not had the opportunity to listen to the version A's.

Apr 9, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #429 of 774
Yeah, I was planning on getting 2 'BRZs before my trip to South Korea (woot, 17 more days!). Not sure if the BR/Bs are available anymore, I've only been able to find the BRZ on digikey and a few other online stores in the US. Correct me if I'm mistaken. Definitely though, I'll let you know what I think of them + the THS. My guess is that anything sounds wonderful with the 4032s as buffers, but I'll still give a fair and honest judgement 
tongue_smile.gif

I would like to compare the 1611s biased vs not biased as well, but I'm too lazy to, since I'm so happy with them unbiased.
Quote:

Small update: Full AD797's in D6 brings the battery life down to 10.5hrs of runtime, hungry little buggers they are!
It's good enuff for my walkabouts and home-use, for longer "outings" it's great that rolling a more power conservative
set of op-amps is soo easy with the clamshell case. "2 thumbs waay up"!

With HD600/UPOCC cable I was switching inputs between D6-AD797BR and MiniHead-OPA627BP, and I love both
op-amps for their own flavours... both are Delicious! 797BR's are more posh and refined, 627BP's are just bodacious...
sassy and flamboyant, like watching a top billed "Dancer".. she may not be "all natural" but at that point.. who cares:)

Whenever I "jack" into my D6, i'm always delighted in how mature and "desktop" it sounds.

hey enjaygee, I see you're enjoying your 1611's, I should give my classA-biased ones another go... been awhiles.
I am eager to hear your impressions on AD797's with and without your THS as buffers. (as i don't has THS's) :frowning2:
and it be great if you get the B/BR version too... since I've not had the opportunity to listen to the version A's.

Apr 10, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #430 of 774

Nice! I didn't know BRZ were still available, I think all B's should be the same grade tho.
I hope you get your 797BRZ soldered-up before your trip, and that they synergise well with the 4032s.
It'll be fun to test on your flight, 'tho passengers may see an inscrutable look on your face.. as you try and judge the sonic characters! :)

Bored this eve... leaving 797BR in L/R, I rolled Dummy buffs, Stock buffs, LME49720HA as buffs.... then rolled 797BRs back in as buffs....
No contest! IMO the other op-amps as buffs just didn't give that open "Live" sound, they made the 797BR in L/R sound kind of subdued.
This is my current Ultimate set. although I'd like to find me a top OPA627 set too.  

NFB-11 feeding my D6-797/DDM right now=Auralgasm... :)

Quote:
Yeah, I was planning on getting 2 'BRZs before my trip to South Korea (woot, 17 more days!). Not sure if the BR/Bs are available anymore, I've only been able to find the BRZ on digikey and a few other online stores in the US. Correct me if I'm mistaken. Definitely though, I'll let you know what I think of them + the THS. My guess is that anything sounds wonderful with the 4032s as buffers, but I'll still give a fair and honest judgement 
tongue_smile.gif

I would like to compare the 1611s biased vs not biased as well, but I'm too lazy to, since I'm so happy with them unbiased.

Apr 12, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #432 of 774
Darn, was listening to some music and then I heard that horrendous static noise. I don't have any issues with my
total bithead. Running of a laptop with Win7 x64.  Any known fixes for this?

Apr 14, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #433 of 774

Quote:
Darn, was listening to some music and then I heard that horrendous static noise. I don't have any issues with my

The only 'fix' I know of is to kill off everything other than audio on your PC, and that includes any background processes you can live without, and ensure that you have as much RAM as possible : there is an extensive discussion of the issues associated with USB DACs over at Computer Audiophile.

I dont seem to suffer this any more with my MSII/D4 combination, but I did when the MSII was new. Other than a brief period running Voyage MPD Linux from a USB stick, which is about as barebones as you can get, it has happened on both Windows and Linux so I dont think your problem has anything to do with 64-bit Windows.

Apr 14, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #434 of 774

[size=medium]

I still haven't found a definitive solution for this. I haven't had the problem in almost 2 weeks now I believe -- it's really strange how it just randomly comes and goes. 

Make sure to have as many USB devices unplugged as possible. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with Windows 7 64bit (I use it too), but from what I've read this OS does indeed use a different method of queuing processes than XP does. If you have too many devices in the process queue, it can lead to buffer overruns, making the static noise that you hear. What's odd is that this happens even on quite a high end system like mine -- I have 8 gigs of DD3 1600 RAM and a 3 core AMD clocked at 3.9 GHz. This problem has occurred for me primarily while listening to streaming audio/video in the Google Chrome browser and also while using a SteelSeries USB DAC for microphone input. When did it occur for you?

[/size]

Quote:
The only 'fix' I know of is to kill off everything other than audio on your PC, and that includes any background processes you can live without, and ensure that you have as much RAM as possible : there is an extensive discussion of the issues associated with USB DACs over at Computer Audiophile.

I dont seem to suffer this any more with my MSII/D4 combination, but I did when the MSII was new. Other than a brief period running Voyage MPD Linux from a USB stick, which is about as barebones as you can get, it has happened on both Windows and Linux so I dont think your problem has anything to do with 64-bit Windows.

Quote:

Apr 14, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #435 of 774
When the noise came it was when I was listening to skyfm from within firefox, and it also happened when I was watching some youtube videos. At that time I immediately tried playing something from windows media player and the noise continued. I have plenty of ram as well; 4GB. I have no other USB devices connected either. I have not encountered the issue when I use my netbook wich runs XP home 32-bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back