iBasso D6 "Fer-de-Lance" USB DAC/Amp
Mar 30, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #391 of 774

Quote:
Yeah I love the combination of the 797's in the D6 gives a nice neutral warm sound like a good quality tube amp.

Isnt 'neutral warm' a contradiction ? I thought neutrality meant that a component didnt have a sound signature of its own - it just gave you a window on the recording.

Mar 30, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #393 of 774

Quote:

I paid for the Topkit 2-3 days ago and should have it in a week, maybe a bit more. I got the topkit plus 2 other sets of opamps to go with it so I will have a lot of options to try and see which one is the best for me.

BTW., I also wrote an email to iBasso asking about the ticking sound that I sometimes get when using it as a DAC.

Are you doing other things on the PC when you hear the ticking sound?  When I tried using my laptop as a source, I had issues where I would get ticking sounds while surfing the net.  The behavior changed by changing media players (ended up using J.River) and by using ASIOForAll, but the problem never totally went away, no matter how much tweaking I did with buffering settings.  I gave up and went with a squeezebox connected to my headphone amp.

Mar 30, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #394 of 774
Have you tried the D6 on a full size PC or just your laptop I duplicated your problem on my laptop for work and get a ticking sound but on my home system which I use for all of my listening I get no noise at all.

Quote:

Are you doing other things on the PC when you hear the ticking sound?  When I tried using my laptop as a source, I had issues where I would get ticking sounds while surfing the net.  The behavior changed by changing media players (ended up using J.River) and by using ASIOForAll, but the problem never totally went away, no matter how much tweaking I did with buffering settings.  I gave up and went with a squeezebox connected to my headphone amp.

Mar 30, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #395 of 774
I wasn't using a D6, it was another DAC.  My point was that this type of an issue may have absolutely nothing to do with the DAC itself.  You can experience this with an internal sound card!  Sorry, I should have been clear about that.

Mar 30, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #396 of 774

Quote:
I wasn't using a D6, it was another DAC.  My point was that this type of an issue may have absolutely nothing to do with the DAC itself.  You can experience this with an internal sound card!  Sorry, I should have been clear about that.

I should have been more clear I was responding to Szadzik about his issue with the D6 making a ticking sound from his laptop I just wanted to let him know that I could duplicate the issue
L3000.gif

Mar 30, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #397 of 774
I have not tried it on another computers as I only have work PCs around and cannot connect anything to them. I will try to check with my AIO when I get home in a month or so.

Mar 30, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #398 of 774
The THS4601s are also a very good choice with THS4032s as buffers. In fact, I would say these two chips are just about perfect in my opinion. I feel every part of the audible sound spectrum is covered: there's a deep, detailed bass, with warm, buzzing mids, and very detailed, crisp highs. The soundstage on them is on par with the 1611s, but they're a little bit closer in presentation.

EDIT: These chips take a little while to break in I think. My description has slightly changed. I would say the THS4601s are just an all-around great op-amp like the THS4031/32s. Listening to them in Foobar2000 with bit-perfect WASAPI as the output, it's truly an amazing experience.

Apr 1, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #401 of 774

Quote:
I'm having the same "ticking" sound problem and it is intermittent and have not been able to isolate it yet.  I hope iBasso is monitoring this thread!  Stay tuned...

I don't know if they do but I would email them. 

Apr 1, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #402 of 774
I installed TopKit tonight and so far it sounds great. With the provided dummy buffers and OPA1611s the amp is much better! Sound is much more transparent, clear. I really like it now.

Apr 2, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #405 of 774

I have never had any ibasso product before, but how does the sound compare to the total bithead?

I placed an order for the D6 on the 30th, but I have not received any confirmation or shipping info from ibasso, I sent them an email yesterday but no reply, should I be worried? All I have is paypal order confirmation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back