iBasso D6 "Fer-de-Lance" USB DAC/Amp
Jan 24, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #211 of 774
Just received HiFlights topkit for the the D6.  A very nice addition and really brings out the range of the amp.  The kit really adds an aggressive, more dynamic sound to a stock D6.  I recommend also getting the optional extra LR module for $15.  It is very neutral, but, extends the highs while maintaining tight bass.  A very nice alternative to the default topkit opamps.

Both opamp options are great add-ons and really brought out the highs in my HD650's.  The topkit really does show how neutral (good) the stock d6 actually is.

Thanks Ron.

Jan 24, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #212 of 774
Not the best picture...

Jan 24, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #213 of 774
How do we go about getting Hiflight's (Ron's) topkit?

Jan 25, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #214 of 774
Just PM HiFlight and tell him that you are interested - he doesnt have a website or anything. I found him a pleasure to deal with, and I think you will find that his HF feedback is 100% positive.

Jan 25, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #215 of 774
This little amp is a powerhouse...I didn't think that a SE amp could sound this good, and am waiting on Ron's kit for this, his kit did wonders for the D4...and it sounds like it does the same for this...making the amp much more analytic from BDAVIDSON's comments...my ultrasones (750/2500) are easy to drive but the better the amp, the better they sound and I LOVE this little girl, she is the D4 on steroids!

Jan 25, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #216 of 774
Will do. I'm looking forward to getting even more improvements. The amp just came in and sounds great. How many hours do amps usually need to burn-in? Do you have to have an output plugged in (headphones) or can you just leave it playing silently?

Quote:
Just PM HiFlight and tell him that you are interested - he doesnt have a website or anything. I found him a pleasure to deal with, and I think you will find that his HF feedback is 100% positive.

Jan 25, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #217 of 774
Ron is a great guy to deal with, uber friendly too. :) Waiting patiently for my topkit to arrive as well, my previous impression of it with my D4 was awesome, virtually my dream rig especially when paired with the Yuin PK3, couldn't even bring myself to take them off. Haha.

Jan 25, 2011 at 4:11 AM Post #218 of 774
Madpierrot, you need to put the amp under load - if it was a speaker amp, that would mean speakers, but fortunately for you it means you can get some sleep while your headphones sit in a drawer, wrapped in a towel if need be. One recommendation is 'five hours on, five hours off, repeated 5 times - the theory is that you need to get the opamps capacitors expanding and contracting - and to avoid pink and white noise or special burn-in CDs - just play music of varying intensity into the amp/headphones. As I type this, I have a recent purchase burning in - on my head, still my favorite place to put my headphones :)

Jan 25, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #219 of 774

I actually also suggest burning in by listening...I burned one amp in with the towel on auto-pilot...the fun is really in hearing the amp develop and open up...in addition, I agree, the amp should only be run in 4-5 hour sections, to allow the amp cicuitry a break.
Quote:
Madpierrot, you need to put the amp under load - if it was a speaker amp, that would mean speakers, but fortunately for you it means you can get some sleep while your headphones sit in a drawer, wrapped in a towel if need be. One recommendation is 'five hours on, five hours off, repeated 5 times - the theory is that you need to get the opamps expanding and contracting - and to avoid pink and white noise or special burn-in CDs - just play music of varying intensity into the amp/headphones. As I type this, I have a recent purchase burning in - on my head, still my favorite place to put my headphones :)

Jan 25, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #220 of 774
I just could not help my self posting an pic of my new listening setup. :)

Using:
- iBasso D6
- Sennheiser IE8
- Foobar2000 + ASIO4ALL

So here they are:

I have to say, it sounds perfect!

-m4rcu5

Jan 25, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #221 of 774
I, too, received the HiFlight's topkit with optional LR module and agree with everything stated by bdavidson.  Very nice improvement over stock D6.  I'm going to get some time in tonight relaxing while listening to the improved sound quality.  Thanks HiFlight!

Quote:
Just received HiFlights topkit for the the D6.  A very nice addition and really brings out the range of the amp.  The kit really adds an aggressive, more dynamic sound to a stock D6.  I recommend also getting the optional extra LR module for $15.  It is very neutral, but, extends the highs while maintaining tight bass.  A very nice alternative to the default topkit opamps.

Both opamp options are great add-ons and really brought out the highs in my HD650's.  The topkit really does show how neutral (good) the stock d6 actually is.

Thanks Ron.

Jan 25, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #222 of 774
Thanks for the guidance everyone. It makes getting into equipment much easier which is certainly welcome after all the money spent. My headphones are only 40ohms so I'm not sure if that'll be enough to "burn" the amp in so I'm looking into making a resistor plug.

I noticed on Ibasso's site that some of the amps come with "rolling kits." I assume these are optional opamps similar to what HiFlight offers but most likely of lesser quality. Did anyone get something like this for the D6? I'd check contents on their site now but it's not loading for me at the moment. I plan on getting Ron's topkit, but wouldn't mind having a few opamps to play sandbox with.

Jan 25, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #223 of 774
Just received my D6 in record shipping time...shipped on1/24 at10:38 am (China time) and received 1/25 at 4:00pm EST via UPS, iBasso standard method,,,amazing!  Listening now with standard op-amps.  Ordering Topkit and will report back my impression.  Initial listening suggests improvement upon my D10 with Senn 650 and a bit bright with my SR60i (this is to be expected). 

Jan 25, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #225 of 774

Quote:
Thanks for the guidance everyone. It makes getting into equipment much easier which is certainly welcome after all the money spent. My headphones are only 40ohms so I'm not sure if that'll be enough to "burn" the amp in so I'm looking into making a resistor plug.

I noticed on Ibasso's site that some of the amps come with "rolling kits." I assume these are optional opamps similar to what HiFlight offers but most likely of lesser quality. Did anyone get something like this for the D6? I'd check contents on their site now but it's not loading for me at the moment. I plan on getting Ron's topkit, but wouldn't mind having a few opamps to play sandbox with.

Personally I think most people are "burning" their ears in, vs. the op amps, but hey, that's me.  That said, 40 ohms will do a better burn in than a high impedance can because you are pulling more current at a given volume level (unless they are super-efficient IEMs).

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back