iBasso D6 "Fer-de-Lance" USB DAC/Amp
Jan 13, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #106 of 774

Quote:
Others in the same price range?

Thats where it gets tougher - iBasso undercut most of the major portable amp makers by at least a hundred dollars on most of their portables. Although its not a portable solution per se, I think those looking for a small form factor (work/bedside) might like to see the the D6 compared to the Fiio E7/E9 combination - obviously the iBasso is much smaller, but that isnt such a high priority in this context. If the E9 is comfortably driving everything below the orthos, and there are several who claim this is the case, I think it would be interesting to compare these rigs side by side - a lot of power in a small space for minimal outlay. 

Jan 13, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #107 of 774

Quote:
So the P4 does have more current that the Stepdance and the D6 more than the P4.  Sounds intriguing.  D6 obviously isn't balanced right?  Can iBasso make a P4 or D6 balanced?  That would be nice, thx.

The way Ibasso turning out new amps, if you don't see what you want, just wait for one or two months, I'm sure something will come out that meet you needs
biggrin.gif
  On a serious note, the number of new models that came out within the past six months make any potential new buyers very hesitant.  I would be very worried that I'll be out dated within days of purchasing any products.

Jan 13, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #108 of 774
 Would it be safe to say that the +3/+10 gain on the D6 will allow me to run my existing UE Triple.fi 10's? With the quoted power of the D6, I'm almost afraid that it would be too much for an IEM.

Jan 13, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #109 of 774
Quote:
The way Ibasso turning out new amps, if you don't see what you want, just wait for one or two months, I'm sure something will come out that meet you needs
biggrin.gif
  On a serious note, the number of new models that came out within the past six months make any potential new buyers very hesitant.  I would be very worried that I'll be out dated within days of purchasing any products.

Actually I have been waiting for a long time for a replacement for my Viper which I bought 3 years ago. I did not need SPDIF inputs, wanted a internal battery and more power (150mw leaves you wanting with 300 ohms cans).

Their market segmentation is excellent:
AMP/DAC + AMP
SPDIF+USB/USB only for DACs
Low/High power (100mw x 2 for the D2 to 2500mw for the PB2)
Balanced/Single-ended
Internal/Rechargeable battery
Tiered price points (From $100 to $600+ for PB2/DB1)

For most other amp manufacturers you get the choice of one or two models and that's it. I would have loved a portable Meier Audio but where's their portable DAC/amp with internal battery? If anything I think ibasso's large offering explains their success as much as the low prices (not even talking about the spectacular customer service).

Now where I think you are totally right is that the succession of models every time better than the previous ones is not conducive to impulse upgrades unless one doesn't mind a drawer full of portable amps.

Jan 13, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #110 of 774
The tide wont turn simply because it doesn't suit you or I to set sail on a given day. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, buy on the expectation that a new 'best of breed' amp is just around the corner. The people who buy *that* amp will be in exactly the same position within a few months (weeks ?) - the alternative either involves that drawer full of amps or a lot of interaction in the FS forum.

My D4 still sounds as good today as it did before the P4/D6 were announced, regardless of the advances offered by both amps, although I do agree that early adopters were stung with the PB1/DB1 being superceded so soon. Ouch.

Jan 13, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #111 of 774
Personally I really don't mind Ibasso keep turning out new product every week-more choices to us.  I just wish they have more fundamental improvement on component.  Not that they don't with regard to power implementation, but I was checking the spec on the DAC chip just now on the D2, D3, D4, DB1, D10, D12, D6.  All of them uses the same WM8704 chip, I was hoping may there is some improvement in that area.

Jan 13, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #112 of 774
The PB1 and DB1 are both very good sounding. There is no reason to get rid of them as the PB2 offers sockets and some people don't want to mess with that. 

The improvement on the D6 with that chip is that it uses two and now can use 24/96, which I do hear a difference with, even on 16/48 recordings. 

The D4 is great sounding. I have a MacBook Pro that I paid plenty for. I wish it would be the top of the line for a few years but another faster and more efficient Pro will most likely be out less than a year after I bought this one and since I process a lot of images, I can use the speed but this one will still do what I need so I won't be upgrading any time soon. 

Jan 13, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #113 of 774
jam. did you install the Topkit or otherwise mod your D4 ? I have spent the last week awaiting the arrival of my Topkit, but the Queensland floods have wreaked havoc with freight to my little town in the bush  :frowning2:

Jan 13, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #114 of 774
I tried different op amps, yes, but I also like the D4 as stock. HiFlight does a great job of figuring out what is the best so his kit offers a little different sound but you can't make a bad amp good. Going with the D4, which is already good sounding, provides a foundation that with better or different op amps, gives a fun selection. 

Jan 13, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #115 of 774
Jam, most of the ibasso amp/dac use dual Wm8704 dac chip and I guess that is for independent left/right channels.  But the DB1 uses only a single dac chip (wm8704) but in balance implementation. Do you know the difference between the dual dac as compare to the single Dac w/ balance processing?  I e-mailed Ibasso and asked them about which of their dac function the best and they responded as follow, but this is before the release of the D6.  "So far, the D12 has the best DAC section. But the DB1 Boomslang is designed for balanced purpose, it is a different field.  Best Regards,  iBasso Audio"  

Jan 13, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #116 of 774

Quote:
Jam, most of the ibasso amp/dac use dual Wm8704 dac chip and I guess that is for independent left/right channels.  But the DB1 uses only a single dac chip (wm8704) but in balance implementation. Do you know the difference between the dual dac as compare to the single Dac w/ balance processing?  I e-mailed Ibasso and asked them about which of their dac function the best and they responded as follow, but this is before the release of the D6.  "So far, the D12 has the best DAC section. But the DB1 Boomslang is designed for balanced purpose, it is a different field.  Best Regards,  iBasso Audio"  

Yes, there is much more than just the chip as we know. The synergy with the way the caps and resistors are used and the type that are used. The D12 does have a very good dac section but the D6 with the USB 24/96 is the best, IMO. It just retrieves more of everything. I suspect the DB2 will have dual dacs and would handle the signal differently from the PB1 but this is just speculation. iBasso just doesn't seem to rest at all. I have a feeling in a couple of years or less, they will be known for all types of equipment in the headphone arena from portable to desk top amps and dacs. IMO. 

Jan 13, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #117 of 774
So are you saying they are putting out a symetrical balanced DAC?  That'd be the bomb.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 14, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #118 of 774

Quote:
So are you saying they are putting out a symetrical balanced DAC?  That'd be the bomb.  

No, I said I suspect. It would seem logical and would be very nice. Now to wait and watch. :^)

Jan 14, 2011 at 6:42 AM Post #120 of 774

Quote:
pauly, just for my own edification, can you pls list all the iBasso amps you currently own ? I think I lost track about 12 months ago.

ROTFL...T3, D4, PB1, Boomslang, P4...I gave my D3 away when I upgraded to the D4, waiting on the PB2 and D6

When I started this hobby Ibasso was not around and quality amps were out of reach...now they are not, so my thing is I think about the options if Ibasso were not around...and consider the price/performance ratio that ibasso offers...a tremendous quality at a very affordable price.

Ill do a little family photo one of these days just for you E-street! LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back